Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

I really need to get beter fuel economy.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I really need to get beter fuel economy.

I use the Champion Iridiums in my BMW and I get outstanding performance. I use NGK VPowers in both of my volvos and also get good results (at $2 per plug - that is hard to beat), I never tried OEM plugs for anything, since my point of contention is BMW and Volvo make CARS, they do not make their own plugs so...why pay for branding. I have never tried Champion Iridiums in my Volvo but they do make a difference in my 'other' car....LOL

Old 01-17-2009, 08:01 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: I really need to get beter fuel economy.

In the case of 850, I believe it is more than just brand name stamped on the plugs. I do not know the OEM for genuine Volvo plugs, and they do seem different from other plugs (Bosch, NGK, Champion, etc...). If I were to do a tune-up, I would get genuine Volvo plugs at FCP Groton. Ibelieve the plugs for turbos are of platinum. Some people prefer to use traditional copper electrode versions, though.

JPN

Old 01-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypermiling

Originally Posted by Adrenalin540
Fuel consumption...
Lets see, start with the engine, make sure it is breathing efficiently and is running properly.
1. Plugs, new Just NGK Vpowers or some other basic 'good' plug
2. Air filter, fuel filter, Wires, Cap Rotor
3. PCV, clean check and replace whatever necessary.
4. Seafoam treat the engine...do the whole thing, Put it in your gastank, suck it in a vacuum tube and pour some in your crankcase... let it idle for 15 mins then
5. Go to a lighter weight oil, I use 0w-40 or other zero weight synthetic with a new filter
6. Check your exhaust to make sure it is in good order...
7. Use the proper fuel for your car...I notice my mileage goes up when I use 89 or higher octane.

Next...
as JPN points out proper Air in your tires is the #1 reason for poor fuel consumption

2. Alignment, get it checked
3, Balance and rotate the tires
4. Verify brakes are not rubbing and wheel bearings are in good shape
5. Flush your tranny and refill with good new fluid

Last...

Keep your car clean, this while subtle it does help reduce wind drag resistance.
Make sure your shield below your engine is in place and tight so as to reduce wind drag...

Learn Hypermiling techniques, these can save you a bundle of fuel...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiling
basically, no jackrabbit starts or stops, coast when possible, don't needlessly run your engine, draft when possible and safe, accellerate smoothly and decellerate smoothly, learn to read the lights so you can use momentum...be a smart and conscious driver...

Sure some of these will cost you some $ but in the long run if it is economy you are after, I cannot think of anything else that would add to your economy...

GL
I recently watched an episode of the lazy environmentalist where a "consultant" was advising a delivery company on how to improve fuel economy for their business. Some of the techniques involved actually shutting the vehicle off while coasting in traffic (one key position back from on), putting the car in neutral while coasting and back into drive while moving (downhill), etc. Aside from some the apparent safety issues involved in turning the car off (oops, I turned it two clicks back to off and the wheel locked) it doesn't seem like shifting from drive to neutral and back to drive would be very good for the transmission, at least without coming to a complete stop at the end of the coast.. Not such a big deal for manual tranny's but the car on the show was an automatic, as is mine. So since I am not a and even though I dont think this is a good idea I thought I would ask for expert advice on at least this method of hypermiling.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Hypermilling

I do use some of the hypermilling techniques. The ones that I benifit from the most are;
  1. Not trying to maintain the faster speed while going up hill;
  2. Driving 65 or under;
  3. Shifting into neutral when going down long hills (when I do this, I sometimes rev the engine a little when I drop it back in drive);
  4. Letting the car drift to lights hoping they change to green before I have to stop;
  5. Starting slowly, no revs past 2600 rpms;
  6. Turning the AC compressor off as often as possible.
I gain 15% driving like this most of the time. If you use the E setting on the transmission it will help about 8%. I can get as much as 24.6 mpg instead of 21.7 mpg driving with no reguard.