Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

I upgraded, or so I thought....

Old 09-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I upgraded, or so I thought....

I recently bought a 1995 850 GLT with the 2.4L non turbo. Test drive went good, minor noises from the front suspension due to worn sway bar links. No leaks or smoke after a hard test drive. Got it home and started tinkering. Changed the oil and that's where the problems began..... I have read all about the PCV systems, EGR systems and Wow..... just wow....

The problem I am having is the dreaded blowby. I had the PCV system replaced, new trap, new hoses, and checked for blockages with none found. That didn't fix it, still has lots of oil leaks due to pressure build up, smoke from the dipstick, and the hiss from the oil cap when it's removed while the engine is running. I read one post on here about someone cleaning out the EGR hole in the intake and cleaning/testing the egr valve, so I did that tonight. It runs better now after cleaning the throttle body, clearing out the 100% blocked EGR hole, cleaning the EGR and passing the vacuum test. But it still builds pressure, blows oil out the oil cap (Which is new,) and blows oil out of many other spots. Someone had mentioned the rings may be sticky to I flushed the engine oil system and put conventional motor oil back in. Still smoking out the oil dipstick, still leaking out the top, still hissing when the cap is removed etc.... I'm at a loss and am considering going back to my 740 even though the Wife hates RWD. Any ideas? I'm stuck...

Old 09-18-2008, 07:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I upgraded, or so I thought....

You might want to try dumping in 1/3 of a can of Seafoam into the oil and drive it a hundred miles or so and then change the oil again. Have you run a compression test on the car? Stuck rings would cause the problems you describe. If the seals are leaking you really have no choice but to change them. Other than the oil cap where are your leaks?

...Lee

Old 09-18-2008, 08:06 AM

I'll try the seafoam thing after I get to my Step-Dad's to push air into the dipstick tube to make sure there are no more PCV clogs (Testing to see if the air comes through the oil fill hole) I haven't done a compression test but I can do that there as well. My main leak, other than the oil cap, is on the back passenger side of the engine but I have to re-degrease first to locate exactly where it is coming from.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:21 PM

Here's an update. I brought the car to Minneapolis today and did some testing. I blew air down the oil dipstick tube and it came out the valve cover with no issues. I ran the air through for a bit, just to make sure the lines were clear. I also ran a compression check with all the plugs removed and the numbers are as follows.... Cyl #1 179 psi, #2 176 psi, #3 180 psi, #4 183 psi, #5 180 psi. So compression or weak cylinders should not be an issue.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Something is clogged somewhere.
Maybe a port in the motor or somehting but there is a clog.

They replaced/cleaned all lines in the vent system?
That test you did doesn't always tell you correctly. I have seen people try that test and the air came out fine but the hole in the block was clogged solid at the vent box.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:35 PM

The hole you are talking about is in the engine block, above the oil pan, and the bottom of the vent box right? Is it possible to clean that out without removing everything again? can one go from the bottom? I'm almost ready to trade the car for a Jeep, even after putting on new bumper covers and fixing other issues.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

No sorry everything has to come off again.