Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

IAMA new 850 T5 Owner, AMA

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAMA new 850 T5 Owner, AMA

I was just recently forced into purchasing a used car on the cheap by way of my 626 ****ting the bed and burning up it's engine harness. I found a decently priced 850 turbo with a little body damage, leaky heater core and malfunctioning Tracs/ABS for $1300. It's been great the first few days. I've replaced the Heater Core and next I want to tackle the Tracs/ABS. I've read that it could be solder joints on it's board or possible sensors/rings needing to be cleaned. Also, analog odometer and trip aren't working but the LCD readout on miles, miles to empty, mpg and temp are all working correctly.

I've noticed a couple other things that occasionally go wrong with it, the reverse lights work about 90% of the time and the AC fan and compressor will cycle occasionally. I've also noticed that when I have the blower on, the lights in the dash and headlights will flicker/surge a little bit. I'm assuming the alternator is showing it's age and needs replacement soon. I haven't checked the timing belt, but will as soon as the weekend rolls around.

Also, how do I tell if I have the 2.3 or 2.4 T5? My 95 is OBD2, I was skimming and saw that this was a cutover year for Volvo with that regard.

As far mods, the PO installed ipd silicone hoses for the turbo, K&N drop in, cross drilled front rotors...that's what I can tell. I've already installed an MBC (have stock controller bypassed) and next will have a boost gauge installed. I'm peaking a few mm from the end of the stock boost gauge in the cluster. In my probe, my MBC set the way it is earned me 16psi steadily. I'm assuming I'm getting the same with the 850, as stock I was hitting almost half the white "area" of the gauge.

I think this it about my new luxobarge...I absolutely love it. I'm 37 years old and finally have a car that bestows my age and family

A little history, I come from the Mazda world. I've owned a couple 88-92 MX6/626 turbocharged cars and a 97 KL powered (V6) 626 with a few mods. My current project is an 88 Mazda 626 turbo with the fabled 4ws system. I did an auto to manuals trans swap, also a host of other upgrades (19T/Tbird IHI Turbo Hybrid coming), megasquirt tuned by me, etc. This is almost up and running.

Plans for the 850 are to keep it running well like it is already, maybe stiffening up the rear end, as I notice this car a TON of roll, but stays very stable. I just want to level it out a bit and get a tad firmer. My other cars have coilovers, and being an old man who drives a volvo now, I want a smoother ride

Thanks!

Oh, and AMA! I'm a jack of all trades, master of none. I work in the Radio business as a Broadcast Engineer and IT Admin.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:33 PM

Sweet...no questions? I'll just n00b up for the forums now

Old 09-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, you're new so we understand but you posted in "New Memeber" and over there you introduce yourself and or your car but it tells you there it's NOT for technical advise.

That could be why you didn't get any.

Moved to 850 section where it belongs, let the love begin !!!! ()

Old 09-18-2013, 05:50 PM

The stock boost is 9.6 for the t5, Rs are 12 I believe

Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMAp80n00bAMA

I was just recently forced into purchasing a used car on the cheap by way of my 626 ****ting the bed and burning up it's engine harness. I found a decently priced 850 turbo with a little body damage, leaky heater core and malfunctioning Tracs/ABS for $1300. It's been great the first few days. I've replaced the Heater Core and next I want to tackle the Tracs/ABS. I've read that it could be solder joints on it's board or possible sensors/rings needing to be cleaned. Also, analog odometer and trip aren't working but the LCD readout on miles, miles to empty, mpg and temp are all working correctly.

I've noticed a couple other things that occasionally go wrong with it, the reverse lights work about 90% of the time and the AC fan and compressor will cycle occasionally. I've also noticed that when I have the blower on, the lights in the dash and headlights will flicker/surge a little bit. I'm assuming the alternator is showing it's age and needs replacement soon. I haven't checked the timing belt, but will as soon as the weekend rolls around.

Also, how do I tell if I have the 2.3 or 2.4 T5? My 95 is OBD2, I was skimming and saw that this was a cutover year for Volvo with that regard.

As far mods, the PO installed ipd silicone hoses for the turbo, K&N drop in, cross drilled front rotors...that's what I can tell. I've already installed an MBC (have stock controller bypassed) and next will have a boost gauge installed. I'm peaking a few mm from the end of the stock boost gauge in the cluster. In my probe, my MBC set the way it is earned me 16psi steadily. I'm assuming I'm getting the same with the 850, as stock I was hitting almost half the white "area" of the gauge.

I think this it about my new luxobarge...I absolutely love it. I'm 37 years old and finally have a car that bestows my age and family

A little history, I come from the Mazda world. I've owned a couple 88-92 MX6/626 turbocharged cars and a 97 KL powered (V6) 626 with a few mods. My current project is an 88 Mazda 626 turbo with the fabled 4ws system. I did an auto to manuals trans swap, also a host of other upgrades (19T/Tbird IHI Turbo Hybrid coming), megasquirt tuned by me, etc. This is almost up and running.

Plans for the 850 are to keep it running well like it is already, maybe stiffening up the rear end, as I notice this car a TON of roll, but stays very stable. I just want to level it out a bit and get a tad firmer. My other cars have coilovers, and being an old man who drives a volvo now, I want a smoother ride

Thanks!

Oh, and AMA! I'm a jack of all trades, master of none. I work in the Radio business as a Broadcast Engineer and IT Admin.
Welcome!

Wasn't clear from above but is this car '95 MY? If so, then ABS issue is most likely is not broken solder joints inside ABS controller; that issue started w/96 MY. You have OBD1 and OBD2 so you should be able to read out the ABS codes via OBD1 port.

Broken gear in the odometer; very common problem, just fixed mine in the 855T. Can buy the gear at IPD or other places; google for the instructions; if you don't find them, shout back here.

If it's a '95 Turbo then it's the HPT (high pressure turbo) and that's the 2.3L block. Only the N/A and LPT were 2.4L.

This is good forum for maintenance questions; a few folks here into perf mods, but volvospeed is more tuned into that stuff.

For suspension I can't recommend the IPD sway bars enough; make's a huge diff. I also like the Bilstein TCs; have that setup on all my rides; perfect for a DD IMO.

Like you i bought my first volvo kinda by chance; slowly fell in love and now i'm addicted.

Oh yeah, give me a break!! At 37 you're still a pup (for crying out loud!)

Last edited by gdog; 09-18-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:24 AM

Thanks everyone! I got a nice PM from rspi. I seem to see his name everywhere on this forum. I'm not much a forum n00b.

I come from the land of Mazda, and currently an admin on mx6.com. My previous cars have been the 88-89 mx6 and 626 turbo variants and I have some megasquirt tuning knowledge.

I do like the fact that my insurance is cheaper than what my 97 626 was, and I even lowered my deductibles to $100 for an even rate! It doesn't take much to get me excited as you can tell. I've already upped the boost and plan on snaking in a boost gauge, but I'm guessing I'm around 1bar right now, as this was the setting on my MBC that my controller was on my probe when I had it.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:20 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

All of the turbo 850's before '97 were the T5's which are 2.3L. In '97 Volvo introduced the LPT in the 2.5L cars.

The '95 cars rarely have issues with the ABS system. If your car is not a '96 or newer, you likely have a wheel sensor issue.

Here is a video that might help you get a grip on important stuff. If the AC is cycling, you probably just need a little freon. If it is shutting off for a while you mite have a clutch issue.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:49 PM

Gratz, I was low on Freon. I filled her up and man does she blow cold.

What's the typical gas mileage in these with boost upped? I'm seeing a solid 20-21mpg, but only going on two tanks now, and getting 300miles per tank.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Check my signature.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:05 PM

HA! I watched one of your videos on the radio code Good thing I was looking for a business card sized piece of stock. I found it.