Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Install a turbo or engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2024 | 05:13 PM
|
Default Install a turbo or engine swap?

I have a N/A, 1994 volvo 850. I really like the car, and it’s great, but i would like to make it go a little faster😈. That is why i was thinking about installing a turbo. After some thought i got the idea that it might be easier to just swap the engine with a different 850 with a turbo already.

I was just wandering wich of these options would be easiest and most doable, or if it is even possible or worth it at all. Selling the car for a better project is also not an option since i really like the car, so if turboing it’s not worth it thats ok too🤷‍♂️.

Also keep in mind that i don’t have alot of experience with cars and i’m pretty clueless(not totally helpless, but i’m no veteran). I know that this is not a good place to start and that it is probably a pretty advanced job to do, but i was just wandering if it would be realistic.

Thanks for all answers!

Old 10-06-2024 | 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by KnutNM
Also keep in mind that i don’t have alot of experience with cars and i’m pretty clueles
but i was just wandering if it would be realistic.
It would not be realistic. Given your experience and doing that to your car will cost more than the car is worth.

Old 10-06-2024 | 09:43 PM
|

Ok, thank you for answerimg

Old 10-07-2024 | 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

+1 for what Hoonk said. too many things involved - wire harnesses, ECUs etc even if you had the skills. usually people are looking to get a manual transmission into a turbo car (which are easily found on NAs, not so much on turbos) when they talk of swaps. If you like your 850 NA, invest in some of the other areas of the car - better radio, speakers, bluetooth connector etc (check out Crutchfield.com for ideas) also consider investing in the suspension - IPD sway bars to start, then consider new shocks, bushing etc, and you can do bigger front brakes by replacing the carrier with one from a V70/S70. You can also update the front seats (Elwood industries sells replacement leathers).

Old 10-09-2024 | 09:40 AM

I hate this, but the wiring harness for the 850's does not come apart where you'd think or where you need. The Turbo has some different ECM/TCM pinout plus the knock sensors and turbo control, and normally you'd expect to be able to swap wiring from one car to another. It's obviously possible here, but it's so very difficult compared to what it should be. If you pulled the interior and dash out of both cars I think it's doable. You could also cut the harness between the PCM's and the firewall and splice everything you see there. It's a lot. . The rest of it is easy, really, in my way of thinking. If the wiring is cured, just generally they're very compatible. It helps to have both cars sitting there. The Turbo transmission is unique but that's more of a minor irritant. Turbos run an oil cooler so they have a unique radiator. I'm getting into the dull stuff now.

There was a guy posting here briefly that put a turbo on an NA and ran it using the NA computer. That never occurred to me, and one reason is that the NA engines are pretty high compression. It didn't seem like a good idea. He showed though that evidently would work up to a point.

Last edited by firebirdparts; 10-09-2024 at 09:45 AM.