Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Installing Keyless Entry System to 850

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Keyless Entry System to 850

Hey Guys...

I recently purchased a 96 Volvo 850. This car did not come with keyless entry so what I did is picked up the little black box that is found in the glove compartment for the keyless entry and installed it. The plug and play I was hoping for is not happening. Now I was wondering what fuses or relays or any other type of factor would play a role in getting the keyless entry system to work. I tried many times programming the remote and have detailed instructions but it still does not work, so I must be missing something but I am stumped. Any help would be appreciated...Thanks in advance...

Old 01-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guy,

A little more info please; not sure what you mean by
"...so what I did is picked up the little black box that is found in the glove compartment for the keyless entry and installed it."

I have installed aftermarket RKE in the wife's saturn and it was a total PITA figuring out their instructions (full of misinformation). I eventually figured out how their module worked through experimentation, i had detailed schematics of the saturn's lock system and spliced it into the existing wire harness; plug and play it was not!

The one i used was a KE-30 available here:
http://www.slickcar.com/productdetai...ProductID=2202
It's works well enough and the price was right; about a tenth of what replacing the saturn bcm would have cost!

I also do not have RKE on my 1995 NA 850 (it has electric locks but not RKE; assume yours is the same?); was thinking of installing a KE-30 in there too but haven't got around to it as yet.

So what RKE module are you trying to install? Is this a volvo module?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guy,

A little more info please; not sure what you mean by
"...so what I did is picked up the little black box that is found in the glove compartment for the keyless entry and installed it."

I have installed aftermarket RKE in the wife's saturn and it was a total PITA figuring out their instructions (full of misinformation). I eventually figured out how their module worked through experimentation, i had detailed schematics of the saturn's lock system and spliced it into the existing wire harness; plug and play it was not!

The one i used was a KE-30 available here:
http://www.slickcar.com/productdetai...ProductID=2202
It's works well enough and the price was right; about a tenth of what replacing the saturn bcm would have cost!

I also do not have RKE on my 1995 NA 850 (it has electric locks but not RKE; assume yours is the same?); was thinking of installing a KE-30 in there too but haven't got around to it as yet.

So what RKE module are you trying to install? Is this a volvo module?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:57 PM

thanks for the reply...

ya its a volvo OEM part, there was a wire that was already in the volvo and all I had to do is plug it in...Its a module that is made for keyless entry. I was just wondering if anyone knew which fuses/ relays that might play a role with getting this module to work....

Old 01-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuse 32 but that is also the radio fuse. I have done what you are trying to do and it worked perfectly after I got my son to program it correctly. He put it in and it wouldn't work. When I asked him how he was programming the remote he said that he turned the key on and off "A bunch of times".

Make sure the battery in your remote is good.

Make sure the remote matches the receiver. (Check the FCC ID numbers)

Key on / Key off 5 times staying in position II on the 5th time with all doors closed.

It should work fine.

...Lee

Old 01-31-2009, 08:30 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

These are all the relays that are needed for it to all work.
Name:  850keyless.jpg
Views: 2144
Size:  43.7 KB

Old 02-20-2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ozark Lee
Make sure the remote matches the receiver. (Check the FCC ID numbers)
...Lee
Can you explain what you mean by this? Where are the ID numbers?

I'm struggling with replacing the lost remote in my 98 V70. I bought an aftermarket one but I'm now being told that the dealer has to program it using "software and a satellite" and they want $175 for this simple job. I've tried the ignition-5-times technique and its not working.

DS

Last edited by wagon-dan; 02-20-2009 at 07:46 PM.