Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Interior bulbs replace

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior bulbs replace

95 850 GLT wagon. Going through an interior lighting campaign and (of course) had a few questions for the experienced (are you experienced?) Boy this thing has a lot of bulbs!

Instrument bulbs- LCD display out and one upper bulb out. Looks like remove dash top and pull instrument cluster.

Sunroof switch- haven’t gone after this one yet, looks like it pulls out from the front? Bulb pull out and replace or more to it?

Lighter- bulb pull out- easy

Above ashtray- How the heck does this bulb come out? I see it, but how to release it?

Heated seat switch- got the switch out- do I open up the switch to change a bulb? That sounds crazy.

Transmission winter / sport switch- looks like a couple of torxes hold that plastic top down. Same deal as heated seat switch? Haven’t got switch out yet.

Armrest- how does the bucket come out? Do I remove bucket to put a new bulb in there?

THANKS for any input!!! Dave

Old 08-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey Dave: There is a writeup for the center console removal. You will probably have to remove it to get the bulb out of the shifter but I don't think there is a bulb in the preformance button.

I think I removed the coin holder or maybe the front part of the console to put my fingers under the heated seat buttons to get those out. There are a couple of switches that you have to take apart to get the bulbs out. Mainly the trip computer switch (I actually had to use a drummel style tool to cut some plastic out to change that bulb).
Volvo 1990 - 2000 Series Dash Switch Light Bulb Replacement Instructions - TechnologyInstructions.com

Most of the switches along the dash just pull out. I usually pry them out carefully, starting from the bottom, doing my best NOT to mark or scratch the dash. Once you get them started you can pinch them and rock them out.

There are a few of the dash bulbs that can be reached from the bottom dash panel. Take that off, reach under and behind the dash and get them out. It's hard and you may get a hand cramp but it is possible. I try not to pull the dash unless I am going to replace the odo gear.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bulbs

rspi- well I dont think I'm gonna need to take out the shifter cover- I got the drivers H seat switch out by taking the coin tray thing out,and my shifter lights are good. Also got the winter / sport (performance?) button out through the parking brake slot. Seems like that would have a bulb in it like all of the other 99 switches. Good opportunity to do some cleaning too!

I'll see about getting the sunroof switch out tomorrow. The one over the ashtray I dont quite see how it comes out. Thanks for that link- that must be how the sunroof and h seats bulbs get changed. Whew! This thing has 8 bulbs out- 9 if the performace switch has a bulb! Dave

Old 08-05-2011, 05:25 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have replaced a boat load of those things over the past few years. Our dealer charges $18 a pop for them so I was able to purchase some in bulk. That's why I have some for sale now. LOL