Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Interior lighting question and Turbo operation question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior lighting question and Turbo operation question

Hello all,

I have a 96 850 turbo. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the car so I can do repair work myself. I have done some work on other cars but the parts were a little easier to access. So, with that said here are my questions:

1). I noticed that when I first got the car the interior lights would turn on when I opened the door and fade out when I started her up. Now I get no lights when I open the door but I can switch them on at the console above the rear view mirror. Any idea what the problem could be and where the part is located?

2). I have a question about the turbo system. Can someone tell me what are the pieces involved in the turbo and how it acts to make the car go fast. I know their is an extra cooler in the front (It looks like the radiator is closest to the engine and the cooler is next), but what runs through that cooler is it antifreeze?

Thanks.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Interior lighting question and Turbo operation question

1). I noticed that when I first got the car the interior lights would turn on when I opened the door and fade out when I started her up. Now I get no lights when I open the door but I can switch them on at the console above the rear view mirror. Any idea what the problem could be and where the part is located?
The switchin above the mirrorhas 3 positions, Always On, Off, and the automatic with the door position. Make sure the switch is in the correct position. If it doesn't work in that position check the red courtesy lights on the rear edge of the door and make sure they come on when the doors open. If not it could be a bad door switch. The switch is actually part of the lock and it is inside the door itself. If those light work and the interior lights don't work it is likely the courtesy light relay.

2). I have a question about the turbo system. Can someone tell me what are the pieces involved in the turbo and how it acts to make the car go fast. I know their is an extra cooler in the front (It looks like the radiator is closest to the engine and the cooler is next), but what runs through that cooler is it antifreeze?
The turbo is basically a pair of fans that are hooked together. The exhaust gasses run through one fan and makes it spin. That also make the other fan spin at the same speed -The intake air is hooked up to the that fan andthe intake airgets accelerated by that fan. More air, at a higher velocity, means more power.

The turbo itself is very hot and as the intake air passes through the turbo it also gets hot. To cool (cool air makes more power than hot air) the intake air it is routed through the intercooler which is a radiator. The only thing that runs through the intercooler is the air itself. After it is cooled through the intercooler it then routes to the throttle body and then into the intake manifold. The air is limited and regulated by a boost control valve so that the pressure boost doesn't get out of hand.

...Lee

Old 01-21-2009, 03:43 PM

Thank you that is cool.

So I think my problem is the "courtesy light relay" because I have tried all the different switch positions and it will not come on but when I open the doors i get the red light and a small light down by the floor board. Can you tell me where the courtesy light relay would be located on a 96 850 turbo? And an estimate on the difficulty level to replay.

Thanks again.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The delayed lighting/central locking relay is relay number 205/206. It is located in the lower central electrical unit which is mounted high on the firewall, behind a big gob of wires, to the left of your brake pedal as you are looking at it from underneath the dash. You will need to remove the three T-25 Torx screws from the lower dash panel and the lower dash panel itself to gain access to it. The hardest part is the contortionism while laying on the floorboard.

Changing it is a snap, plug and play. They show up on eBay from time to time. In many cases the electrolytic capacitors go bad in the relays and, if you know how to solder, you can pop the cover off and repair them for a couple of bucks worth of Radio Shack parts.

...Lee

Old 01-22-2009, 02:23 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The turbocharger (very similar to jet engines in working principle & construction) spins as fast as 160,000 RPM, so oil management is the utmost importance. I would treat it with full synthetic oil. Also, after a prolonged freeway drive, I would let it idle for 2 minutes before shutting it down.

See attached for the relay location.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/FA91430D6A3D47608F4D3AECF3D129B9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-22-2009, 01:10 PM

Went to the junk yard today and pulled one of those relays from a n/a 93 850. I am going to plug that in and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: JPN

The turbocharger (very similar to jet engines in working principle & construction) spins as fast as 160,000 RPM, so oil management is the utmost importance. I would treat it with full synthetic oil. Also, after a prolonged freeway drive, I would let it idle for 2 minutes before shutting it down.
+1

also let the car fully warm up before you mash the peddal.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:34 PM

Well I plugged in that relay from the 93 and funny thing happened. My automatic door locks don't work right now but I can get the lights above the back door to come on via the center console. I got to get back under there and figure out what is going on. I have three thoughts a). the 93 part is not compatible with the 96 turbo, b). the part from the 93 is toast as well, c). I put one or more part back in wrong because I had my three-year-old crawling over me.

I would be able to get a better look at where the Relay's go. Is that space accessible by removing the fuse box and hitting it from the top? Two, I looked on ebay for the part and it looks like i have found one, is that the best option in terms of buying that part?

Old 01-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The 93 relay is not the same. 93-95 is single stage locking. 96-97 dual stage locking.

Single stage locking means that you pull up on the drivers door lock and they all unlock. When you push it down they all lock.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 PM

you don't think i screwed anything up by putting that old relay in do ya?

with that said I need to take a closer look at that one on ebay because i am pretty sure it just says 850 and does not specify year.