Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Leaking Cam Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Cam Sensor

Quick question. I posted a few weeks ago about a leaking cam sensor. Tech said there is a seal available, but the dealer says the only sseal is the cam seal, nothign for the sensor.

Whats involved replacing the cam seal?

Just pull the vavle cover off (is there a gasket?) then pull the sensor out, pop out the seal and put it back together? Doesn't seem too involved, just want to check.

I'm doing the PCV tonight, maybe thats all it will take to stop the seal leak on the cam if I'm lucky!

Old 09-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Leaking Cam Sensor

The cam seal is pretty easy.
I think you misunderstood my reply or I misunderstood your quiestion.

The Cam seal needs to be replaced. If you remove the sensor you will see what I mean.
Once the sensor is off then you will need to remove a cup on the end of the cam(One 10MM screw)

Then use a smaller screw driver to pop the old seal out then Tap the new one in.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:41 AM

So the vavle cover doesnt even need to come off? Sounds easy, I'll try to tackle it later today. After Itweak the PNP switch.

I did the PNP switch last night. I ordered the Scan Techswitch from FCPGroton, the switch they sent really said Ranco or something like that on it, not Scan Tech - what a piece of crap! First off the center part that goes over the shaft coning from the transmission was way way off (too small)- had to dremel it out to get it to fit. Then I aligned it as best I couldput it back together and the alignment was off (reverse lights dont work right), but the switch was all the way to one side and has no alignment left - so this afternoon its back to the dremel to open the mounting holesso I can get the alignment correct. Stay away from Groton's aftermarket switch, go with the Volvo!

Old 09-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Administrator

I agree about the Parts. ScanTech is ALSO a Big POS.
I would stay away from everything SCANTECH.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:11 AM

I figure I'll try calling Groton today and see if they'll take the thing back in exchange for the Volvo part. If I have to take it apart again I might as well put a quality part back in rather than fixing this piece of junk part.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:13 PM

I noticed the POS switch was out of alignment so I realigned it. Still has issues only in reverse when the car is cold in the morning (flashing light on dash), after its warmed up its fine. I'm sure its aligned this time because I double checked it. I thought I could get away with the POS switch, guessing I'll have to take itapart again and put the Volvo one in.

Also - the reverse lights didnt work before, now they do. I started a new thread earlier to get some input on the alignment or replacement.