Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Lets talk Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk Clear Bra

After spending a LONG time repairing all my rock chips on the front part of my hood... Im really interested in doing a clear bra to protect my time invested. Seems like the "kits" offered by local shops are running $ 300-800 ( 300 hood only- 800 full kit- fenders bumper ect ) Before i go dropping that much cash on this, anyone have any thoughts or experiences on the topic? any DIYs or secrets? dos or donts?

The Diy kits that I found did not include the 850 series

Thanks!

850 R wagon BTW

Old 03-08-2009, 04:10 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry but I imagined something else when I saw the title; almost deleted the post, thinking it was a spam.

JPN

Old 03-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Banned

Lets talk Clear Bra
OK, I vote we get Heidi Klum to model it before making a decision.

If I had a black car I'd just buy a LeBra off eBay for $30 (plus shipping), but they don't make 'em in mystic silver (Volvo color code 426).

Old 03-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Essentially the "Clear Bra" is just like laying down window tint. You take your film, cut it in one big square then pray down the car with water.. Here's the tricky part, you have to cut parts off the large square so when you fold from the front of the car to the side, your seams match and then you don't have gaps. It's kind of an art to be able to cut that and overlay! I watched a demo at the SEMA show (3m) booth and the guy explained it that if you are really good at wrapping presents OR oragami, then you should be good at this.. You will need the film, spray bottleand a plastic squeegie ( some films use an alcohol solution). You probably want to take your time and apply the film in the shade. It's actually an easy DIY project. Just be careful in what film you buy. 3m apparently haS good film, as theirs has a special compound mixed into the plastic so a year down the road it doesn't start to yellow. Once applied in the shade, let the car sit in FULL sun to dry... I have some film that I have to do 2 or 3 cars I go tfrom the show, and one day if I ever have time I will do it... Good luck!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by JPN
Sorry but I imagined something else when I saw the title; almost deleted the post, thinking it was a spam.

JPN
.....get your mind outta the gutter!
Originally Posted by Crito
OK, I vote we get Heidi Klum to model it before making a decision.

If I had a black car I'd just buy a LeBra off eBay for $30 (plus shipping), but they don't make 'em in mystic silver (Volvo color code 426).
tempting, easy, cheap... and uhhhhhhgly. : )

Originally Posted by Somthngfrce
Essentially the "Clear Bra" is just like laying down window tint. You take your film, cut it in one big square then pray down the car with water.. Here's the tricky part, you have to cut parts off the large square so when you fold from the front of the car to the side, your seams match and then you don't have gaps. It's kind of an art to be able to cut that and overlay! I watched a demo at the SEMA show (3m) booth and the guy explained it that if you are really good at wrapping presents OR oragami, then you should be good at this.. You will need the film, spray bottleand a plastic squeegie ( some films use an alcohol solution). You probably want to take your time and apply the film in the shade. It's actually an easy DIY project. Just be careful in what film you buy. 3m apparently haS good film, as theirs has a special compound mixed into the plastic so a year down the road it doesn't start to yellow. Once applied in the shade, let the car sit in FULL sun to dry... I have some film that I have to do 2 or 3 cars I go tfrom the show, and one day if I ever have time I will do it... Good luck!
Hmmm... i tried tinting back in the day. It didnt end well, an i wrap some baddass x-mas gifts. I think ill drop some coin and get her done by a pro. I did find a local seattle shop that quoted 200 for the hood... So i will probably go with that.

Thanks guys!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by endneu913
tempting, easy, cheap... and uhhhhhhgly. : )
For a second there I thought you were talking about Heidi... them's fightin' words. LOL

Yeah, those LeBra things are pretty ugly, but they do the job and supposedly the new ones breath better so you don't have to remove them periodically. Anywho, was just a thought....

Old 03-11-2009, 08:10 AM

Good luck finding someone! Post pics. after you get it done.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Crito
For a second there I thought you were talking about Heidi... them's fightin' words. LOL

Yeah, those LeBra things are pretty ugly, but they do the job and supposedly the new ones breath better so you don't have to remove them periodically. Anywho, was just a thought....
LOL... and i thank you very much!

Originally Posted by Somthngfrce
Good luck finding someone! Post pics. after you get it done.
I will... im almost done with the paint touch ups... just need to locate some 2500 and 3k wetsand paper. I have a tentative appointment with a local guy 3/23... So far he appears to have a ton of experience on very expensive cars/ hes mobile, so i dont have to drive the car once the nose is pristine/ his price is reasonable, not the cheapest, not the highest.

http://ultimateautoskin.com/clients.html

Ill post pics and let you all know how it goes down.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:47 PM

Oh wow! I guess if he works on a Diablo and that Afla, he's qualified in my book for my Volvo...