Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

lights in the climate control?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lights in the climate control?

I have one light out in my climate control, that is assuming there are only 2 lights. do I have to remove the entire unit to change the lamps or can I just take off the face panel? What bulbs go in there?

Old 12-09-2012, 01:08 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to remove the whole unit. There are three bulbs in there. They are #74 bulbs, they are very small. They are available at Oreilly, Autozone, NAPA ... . Two on the right and one one the left. They are the black sockets with dual green wires leading to them.

You'll need to pull the radio out, if it's an original Volvo radio make sure you have the security code.
Best to put on a glove when you reach in behind the climate control head but it just pushes out.

Attached Thumbnails lights in the climate control?-heat-ac-ecc-controller-opened-bulb.jpg   lights in the climate control?-heat-ac-ecc-controller-opened-bulb-1.jpg   lights in the climate control?-heat-ac-ecc-panel-no74-bulb-left.jpg  
Old 12-09-2012, 06:25 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Also note, that the removal procedure for ACC & MCC is different. For ACC, you take the radio out by pressing on the "tabs" on L&R sides of the radio.

I've never removed the MCC, so wait for other members to aid unless you already know how.

JPN

Old 12-09-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by JPN
Also note, that the removal procedure for ACC & MCC is different. For ACC, you take the radio out by pressing on the "tabs" on L&R sides of the radio.

I've never removed the MCC, so wait for other members to aid unless you already know how.

JPN
Getting the radio out is no problem. I have an OEM style radio.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:31 PM

it is very very very easy. replaced my bulbs last night. just remove the radio then push the climate control unit up-forward and it comes out then remove the three green cables connected to the unit.here is a write up for it
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=19025

Old 12-09-2012, 03:12 PM

All sounds straight forward. Thanks all for the help.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Just in case some don't know, the light bulb number is the same for a replacement bulb be it a GE, Sylvania, Wagner or other brand. IMHO I'd stick with a name brand bulb and not something like an "Eiko" or some other no name brand. You may save a buck or two but you'll be in there replacing it a lot sooner. For the trouble some of these bulbs are to get at spend the extra dollar and get a better quality bulb.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:45 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I seen that Kiss replied to this post so I didn't look at it until now. I'd like to add some safety information.

WARNING: As simple as this sounds, this job can actually send you to the hospital. If you have the ECC unit (temp ***** have numbers) you really do need to put some good leather gloves on. When you push the unit out from the back, it will pop fee, when it does your fingers or thumb will jerk into the SHARP plastic back there and it can give you a deep enough, nasty cut that may need stitches. I still have a scar from the cut I had. I didn't go to the ER, but maybe could have. ALSO: You need to have something to protect your arms from the unit flying out on to the inside of your forearms which can cut your arm. Crazy I know but it took a few layers skin off of my arm which was a surprise. I usually either make sure I have on thick sleeves or lay a hand towel over my arms before I pop that thing out.

If you have the MCC unit (temp ***** have no numbers), it may have a few screws under the ***** that you have to remove and not take the entire unit out from the back. I found this out on a S70.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Ya should know by now ya can't trust me. At least not at this time of year when I get all "nogged" up and am seeing double, safety goes right out the window !!
I didn't stress that "glove" enough or say why ... bad technician, bad !!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
Ya should know by now ya can't trust me. At least not at this time of year when I get all "nogged" up and am seeing double, safety goes right out the window !!
I didn't stress that "glove" enough or say why ... bad technician, bad !!
With my job my hands and arms are probably more scare than skin by now but I'll be careful. I have taken to wearing gloves when I am working around sheet metal panels.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Just pulled mine last night and upgraded to LED's. Slowly doing the interior lights one by one.
I used square ones and they just barely fit into the ECC openings. I went with the square ones thinking the light might spread out more. Not sure that's true but I like the result. The fourth one I'll pull apart and solder into the holder for the bulb illuminating the ash tray. They were only four bucks on ebay.

Attached Thumbnails lights in the climate control?-000002-mn8vhaxdwz1ek5p1foe8k9q.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 12-15-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
Just pulled mine last night and upgraded to LED's. Slowly doing the interior lights one by one.
I used square ones and they just barely fit into the ECC openings. I went with the square ones thinking the light might spread out more. Not sure that's true but I like the result. The fourth one I'll pull apart and solder into the holder for the bulb illuminating the ash tray. They were only four bucks on ebay.
where did you get the LEDs? online or local auto shop?am working on changing my bulbs to LEDs.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Administrator

These came from "rcttco"

eBay My World - rcttco

My turn, tail and stop bulbs came from Autozone they were "Jam Straight".

You can likely source them all at "superbrightleds.com"

LED Lights for Cars | 12v | Super Bright LEDs