Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Looking for guidance

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for guidance

I used to love my 850 Turbo when I purchased it in 2005 with 124,000 miles. It ran like a bat out of hell, especially with the sport mode since it is automatic. I am up to 146,000 miles and thought it seemed to be slowing down a little bit so I decided to have some work done - had the turbocharger rebuilt, silicone intercooler hoses added, a/c repaired, various vacuum hoses were replaced that broke while removing the turbo, pcv system was cleaned out and parts replaced since the rebuilder noted there was oil getting into the turbo prior to being rebuilt. I was hoping for a marked improvement in performance, but I am so disappointed in the car I'm ready to cry and sell it, LOL. The turbo lag time seems to have doubled maybe even tripled - seems to take forever to spool up, shifts are extremely hard without even getting the speed I used to. I tried to time my 0-60 and with the pedal buried it was almost 9 seconds which is much worse than original factory times. Everything is nice and tight and new, but something seems to be wrong. Mechanic told me that it was probably running so great before because of broken vacuum hoses and everything was much looser and the ECU wasn't gettting correct readings with all these worn and broken parts and therefore was allowing the turbo to just keep boosting and boosting quicker and more than it is now. Not sure I believe all that, but I'm so disappointed. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also have another major disappointment. When I purchased the car, the shocks were not that great - kind of shot, so I replaced them and then began replacing all the other suspension parts. Almost everything has been replaced and the car rides like a piece of crap, bangs over bumps and rides as rough or rougher than the Wrangler I used to have. Mechanic says he doesn't see anything wrong anywhere and this is how these cars ride. Didn't ride like that when I bought it with stuff worn out so I don't believe it for one minute. Anyone have suggestions for this issue? I love the look of the car and used to love the performance and would hate to get rid of it after having put 4K into it to get everything updated and like new.

Last edited by 1995Turbo; 07-24-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't like this response from the mechanic at all:

that it was probably running so great before because of broken vacuum hoses and everything was much looser and the ECU wasn't gettting correct readings with all these worn and broken parts and therefore was allowing the turbo to just keep boosting and boosting quicker and more than it is now. '

If it's running worse now that it was before he did all that work, there is something wrong. My guess is that something is not hooked up right, probably losing vacuum somewhere is my guess. The vacuum lines on these cars are a real pain, again in my opinion.

As far as the ride goes, what did you put on the car and what size tires do you have? My car with the 17" wheels rides much rougher than the one with the 15" wheels and the one with 17's has almost all new suspension parts and shocks and struts. Tires can make a big difference in the ride.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:40 AM

I have the stock turbo wheels from the factory and have 205/55 r16 91V M & S Falken tires on them. I also have the HD Biltstein shocks and struts on the car, but even though these are stiffer, the car actually is a little better with these than the previous Gabriel soft shocks and struts. It seems like every part that was replaced made it ride just a little rougher - guess the car liked all the old parts, lol.

As for the turbo lag time, would it be possible the boost control solenoid should be replaced if it is the original one now that the turbo was rebuilt? Other than the ECU, I'm thinking this is the only other item that would control how the turbo boosts up.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:53 AM

Just a quick update on my boost situation. I pulled the heat shield in the back and gave the wastegate arm one full turn. Took the car out and it boosts up quicker and doesn't feel like it is being held back when I step on the gas. I had read from other guys how you can turn the wastegate up to 2 full turns safely. Most of them talk about burning rubber either right off the line or when the car shifts, but I have yet to see that happen with my car, lol. Maybe I'm just afraid to plant my foot through the floorboard. I might give my wastegate another 1/2 turn just to bring up a little more. I'm thinking that with the rebuilt turbo and everything being so tight and new and having the old wastegate still on the car, it was opening too soon. I'll probably invest in a new wastegate actuator and boost control solenoid just to see if that helps the situation. But for now, the turn makes the difference I need to make me happy with the performance. Just need to get the ride to be better.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read many that say the Bilstein HD's give a really rough ride. Most prefer the Bilstein Touring which is what I put on mine.

I am not familiar with messing with the turbo. I keep mine stock and have never rebuilt a turbo on any of them. I have had seven turbo Vovlos now, my son has two, my daughter has one and my mother in law is on her 2nd.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:38 PM

here is the post that talked about the wastegate being turned to help with initial boost. from what i've read seems like it might only work on 850's, not sure about other models.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?104485

Old 07-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JimKW
I have read many that say the Bilstein HD's give a really rough ride. Most prefer the Bilstein Touring which is what I put on mine.

+1 on the HDs!! IMO those are track shocks, but some like them for the street. Got TCs on both mine and they're great!