Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Low Nose on my 1996 850T

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Nose on my 1996 850T

It seems like the front of this wagon is lower than it should be, how many inches should the wheel well be from the wheels? I've been trying to look at other 850 wagons around my year on the road, but I haven't seen many lately. What would I need to replace to get it higher? Are the shocks worn? Any information is appreciated.

Cheers,
Spioana007

Old 12-23-2007, 01:53 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Low Nose on my 1996 850T

First, check for correct tyre pressure (which you may have done already).

Then it may be the struts that are retiring. Even if you don't see fluid leak, modern struts/shocks are "De Carbon" design and use nitrogen gas in a separate chamber. If the gas has escaped, it may give you higher/lower nose/tail as well as reduced stability/performance.

If you push on the front end and the car does not bounce back right away and does not stop bouncing for more than once, your struts are retiring. Also, when brake hard (try this at 30mph or so), does the wagon nose-dive significantly? If the coil springs are not physically shot, most likely your wagon would come back to the correct height by replacing the struts.

See what others would have to say on this.

JPN

Old 12-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Default Homemade video of my low Volvo, and a weird starting noise I always have...

ok, so I took a video of the body of the wagon, let me know if it looks low to you. Also I started it up, and there is a strange noise it always makes when it's cold. What is this noise? Is it something to worry about? Can it be fixed easily?

Here is the link to the video: http://planet.lilug.org/images/volvo...ting.noise.mov

Cheers,
Spioana

Old 12-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Homemade video of my low Volvo, and a weird starting noise I always have...

I can't get the vid to open.

EDIT: I finally got it to load.
The 850's are almost always higher in the rear than front both of mine are like that to.

The noise not sure maybe starter hanging up?
Hard to tell from the video. But it sounds like a grinding noise.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Default RE: Homemade video of my low Volvo, and a weird starting noise I always have...

So my 850 doesn't look that low? I pushed down on it, and it's one bounce. and it responds well to breaking. maybe they're supposed to be this low, and I didn't know this. As for the weird noise, that could be the starter? I'm having problems starting the car also, it will take 15 minutes of trying sometimes, and the car will finally start after 15 minutes. I only have these problems when the car is cold, not when it's hot. If it might be the starter, how can I diagnose this further and determine it is? And how hard is it to change the starter? The only part from fcpgroton I would need is SR0483X , from this page: http://fcpgroton.com/volvo850eng_electrical.htm#alt

I'm kind of confused as to what part to buy. And where is the starter under the engine, so I can get my ear close to it and determine if that is the noise. Often the noise is much louder than that, like a wrench rattling around under the hood for 4 seconds or so. It only happens within 30 seconds of the engine starting from when it was cold. After that, you don't hear it at all. I never hear it 10 minutes after the engine has been running, or an hour etc. It's always within 30 seconds of a cold start.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Administrator

The STR-2103 will work fine.
Does teh engine just crank over when it doesn't start right?
Or does the starter disengage?

Old 12-25-2007, 12:41 PM

Tech Wrote:
Does teh engine just crank over when it doesn't start right?
Or does the starter disengage?
No the engine doesn't crank over I believe. It's sporadic, but often the engine just won't start for a minute to ten minutes say. The dashboard lights will come on, but there will be no sound from the engine cranking or anything like that. And then 5 minutes later maybe, it will just crank and start. Every time I hear it attempt to crank, it starts. But it doesn't attempt to crank sometimes. I'm not sure what it means for the starter to disengage.

I don't think it will help, but I made another video of the car starting cold today. It is located here: http://planet.lilug.org/images/volvo...tart.noise.mov

Old 12-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Administrator

The no start might be the PNP switch next time it happens try shifting to neutral and see if it starts then.

The noise sounds almost like it might be a rod knock. I couldn't say much more unless I was there in person to listen. Sorry.