Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

magnaflow exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnaflow exhaust upgrade

hi guys

I have an 850 n/a and wanted to improve the sound of it by making it a little more burlier and throaty and someone recommended magnaflow to me over flowmasters. Anyways, I'm not looking for horsepower increase or anything like that, strictly sound. With that said, should I just keep the exhaust piping diameter stock, or move it up to 2.5", also which style muffler seems to sound the best? Circular or oval? And which one do I need? The straight through design or the offset ones? Also, would it sound absolutely ridiculous if the resonator was taken out so it was just the cat and the muffler?

Thanks everyone!

Old 10-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Former Sponsor

I would up the diameter of the piping and run an oval muffler. The best thing to do would be to listen to some sound clips on youtube to get an idea of how each of the mufflers will sound.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:45 PM

would upping the diameter of the piping affect the performance of a N/A engine? And if I upped it, would the sound produce an unwanted drone inside the car? I only ask bc no one does exhaust sound clips of inside the car, just outside!

Old 10-02-2010, 03:12 AM

Two days ago I hit "something" and put a nice hole in my muffler, I took the opportunity to replace my stock cat and muffler.

I went with 2.5 pipe, Magnaflow High Flow cat, Flowmaster Exhaust - round - round tip.

First, the sound is beast it sounds really good in my opinion, however it IS going to bother you if your looking for something that does not have the "high rpm hum" inside the cabin.

Cost me $500 for the cat, exhaust and piping. - Was worth it, since I did this I also decided to get an IPD SRT - This is a must, when and if you upgrade your exhaust make sure you get the intake - It really lets the system breathe.

The only thing I've not gotten yet is an entirely new dp - I will do this when i replace my turbo.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Husky42
Two days ago I hit "something" and put a nice hole in my muffler, I took the opportunity to replace my stock cat and muffler.

I went with 2.5 pipe, Magnaflow High Flow cat, Flowmaster Exhaust - round - round tip.

First, the sound is beast it sounds really good in my opinion, however it IS going to bother you if your looking for something that does not have the "high rpm hum" inside the cabin.

Cost me $500 for the cat, exhaust and piping. - Was worth it, since I did this I also decided to get an IPD SRT - This is a must, when and if you upgrade your exhaust make sure you get the intake - It really lets the system breathe.

The only thing I've not gotten yet is an entirely new dp - I will do this when i replace my turbo.
So what did you choose? magnaflow or flowmaster? I heard good reputation from flowmaster 40 and 44 but i don't know which sound the best. I am not sure about the numbers but i think i am correct. I am not that familiar with magnaflow when searching for exhaust in google flowmaster always on top. maybe more people are interested on flowmaster than magnaflow. but i think YOU TUBE will be your best companion in judging the sound!

Last edited by karenbrady62; 12-16-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flowmaster 40 is a muffler with its associated pipes/fittings. It is an aggressive "hotrod" sound. Like Andrew said, there are thousands of videos on YouTube (out or inside the cabin). Sound though is a personal preference. You can also go to Magnaflow / Flowmaster's websites and check their range of exhaust products.

Keep in mind that these are brand names. There are more expensive/better products out there, plus there are many cheaper ones, depending on your budget.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO if you just want sound don't even bother. Your N/A so upping the pipe dia. will only hurt you. N/A's like backpressure and turbos want free flowing.

Have I fiddled with an N/A? yes. Was it worth it? no. What did I put on it? 2.5" piping to a Magnaflow muffler. It had a nice rumbled when idling but at higher RPM's it was just stupid and sounded ricey. If I were to do it again I would have done a Flowmaster muffler instead.

FYI IPD's SRT is for the turbo models it may fit your N/A not sure. You'd have to ask IPD. However even with the heat shield your still sucking in hot air and not getting enough cold air even with the stock tube running to it. It makes a great sound but as for performance gains your not going to see anything spectacular.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:57 PM

From what i understand if you want better sounds from the tailpipe with a N/A, just switch the muffler. You lose power with a bigger pipe and thats why a lot of those coffee can exhausts on hondas make the N/A weak and pathetic.

If you want engine sounds, upgrade your upper engine mount and firewall mount. Transmits engine sounds to interior much better.

From under the hood, try to make something like the IPD SRT airbox, or whatever. Look over at MVS at some of the N/A tricks with the intakes.