Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

main headlights wont come on

Old 10-16-2011, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights wont come on

today when i tried to turn on the headlights only the side corner lights lit up. The lights on the dash light up when the switch is in the middle position but everything goes dark when the switch is turned on all the way. I drove it home at night with the hazards on, but no headlights.
Earlier i had noticed that the fan turns on when i start the car and there was no way turn it off unless i turned on the lights, when i would turn off the lights the fan came back on. The ac/heating /blower fan system seemed to be shot when i got the car, a couple of weeks ago. The ac, rec and fan speed switch don't seem to be working. I dont understand how one thing is affecting the other but it seems like these problems are related.
I had just started to do simple repairs and upgrades to 1990 240 a year ago, i have much to learn. This car seems a lot harder to work on than the 240 and i dont have a service manual for it yet. I would greatly appreciate any input/ ideas / suggestions. please help!

Last edited by and240res; 10-16-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:10 PM

Do your high beams come on?
Have you checked the fuses?
Do you have a test light?
You will need to do some more investigating, it could be anything from a bad ignition switch to a bare wire grounding out.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Default checked some codes

When the lights went out the high beams were not working either. Only lights working were side corner lights, top red lights on taillights and the hazards.Also noticed that AC and REC switch lights were off. They had been either flashing or not turning off at all.
using diagnostic unit checked the codes yesterday and got:
A7 trip computer 1-2-2 (temp sensor interval too long), B1 1-2-1 (outside temp sensor shorted to ground) and also gave me an ABS 2-1-3(rear L wheel no signal on moving) and cruise control code 1-2-2 (speed hasnt exceeded 22mph or no speed signal) .
Today i will check fuses and report later, I'm not sure what/where the test light is.
I have no money to take to it to a shop right now and desperately need this car to get to work, thanks for any help

Old 10-16-2011, 02:49 PM

you can buy a cheap test light for $10
You will need the test light to see where the current stops
Start at where you have power and trace it untill you have no power.

Also what kind of headlight bulbs do you have in it... unless they are the simple halogen cheapo bulbs you might have melted the harnesses

Last edited by MattyXXL; 10-16-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Also, play with the ignition key a little. These cars have problems with the ignition switches when they get old. Start the car, then turn the key back just a little, and see if anything improves. If not, that doesn't eliminate the ignition but you'll have to work a little harder to figure out what the real problem is.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You'll need some tools like a 12volt test light or a voltmeter.

How to use a test light:
Voltage Test Light

Never poke the tester through the wires insulation. It's not so bad inside the vehicle but if you do it to an exterior wire you are asking for corrosion and a future problem. Test at the end of the wires.

You need to figure out if you have power to the headlight switch and if that power continues to the headlight relay.

Attached Thumbnails main headlights wont come on-12-v-test.jpg  
Old 10-19-2011, 01:44 AM

Lights aren't completely out, After driving home on Saturday night with no headlights they worked Sunday Evening when i turned them on. They again made the fan come on @ full force when lights were on and if you turned them off the fan would go off as well. Monday night they did not come on after being parked all afternoon but this afternoon they did. At least i know both bulbs are still working .
I bought a test light but haven't been able to check fuses or anything else yet.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:58 AM

Check the light switch, sometimes, more so with the S70 the become separated and the metal pieces do not work.

Key switch sometimes over rides a bit and you have to bring it back just a tad or the lights wont work.

The weird part is the fan, which leads to a short somehow..you fan relay is atop the radiator, its a grey colored one, check the connection.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:59 AM

Would also check the fuses for any corrosion in them, weird about the fan??? Hummm..

Old 10-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Being an intermittent problem will be a complication as you can't really test it when it's working. You can give it a good visual inspection and take all the connectors apart to check them and wiggle stuff to see if you can make the headlights go out. There is a chance you might have a problem at the fuse box where the battery cable feeds the panel. It might be loose or corroded and having intermittent contact. I haven't been in there yet but I remember hearing it's more than just one lead which could explain why only the lights and blower are affected.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanks everyone for your input!
The headlights isn't the only electrical problem in the car, just the most urgent since i have to drive the car at night almost everyday. Other issues that ive noticed is the switch that Changes from "econ ","winter" and "sport" mode doesn't seem to do anything in any of the settings. High Beams haven't worked . AC/ switch and "rec" switches are out, sometimes their lights flash on-off, sometimes they stay on on orange, but moving the switches has no noticeable effect. Blower speed switch doesn't do anything, when fan is on it wont regulate the speed or turn it off. Also, most of the time i have to use shift lock overdrive to get the car out of park, but not always (another intermittent problem) There's also a click coming from somewhere in the front of the car when it's running, only noticeable if the hood is open and youre standing in front of it.
Other than that engine seems fine and transmission (which was rebuilt @ 15,000 miles ago) shifts ok.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 PM

That clicking can be the solution to many of your problems.
If the Ac is manual, does it works on the first three or only 4? That could be the resistor,do you mean fan, or the ac blower?
The clicking could be a relay or relays..
Are the h4 bulbs for high beam ok?
I would say a good cleaning with contact cleaner all around to plugs and connectors, also checking for exposed wires is in order.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Being an intermitant problem leads me to believe the ignition is bad.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Administrator
Default Multiple electrical problems...

Originally Posted by and240res
Thanks everyone for your input!
The headlights isn't the only electrical problem in the car, just the most urgent since i have to drive the car at night almost everyday. Other issues that ive noticed is the switch that Changes from "econ ","winter" and "sport" mode doesn't seem to do anything in any of the settings. High Beams haven't worked . AC/ switch and "rec" switches are out, sometimes their lights flash on-off, sometimes they stay on on orange, but moving the switches has no noticeable effect. Blower speed switch doesn't do anything, when fan is on it wont regulate the speed or turn it off. Also, most of the time i have to use shift lock overdrive to get the car out of park, but not always (another intermittent problem) There's also a click coming from somewhere in the front of the car when it's running, only noticeable if the hood is open and youre standing in front of it.
Other than that engine seems fine and transmission (which was rebuilt @ 15,000 miles ago) shifts ok.
Just read this, now I really think it's the ignition switch.
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...-issues-56256/

Old 10-20-2011, 02:26 AM

Had a similar problem with the S70's switch, nothing bad, just went a tad further and the dash and head lights would not work.. I realized it and hit it a bit back..

Did not realize it affected so many things ( good to know and learn) I went to check and 855 for sale and the battery has been major draining, when you turn it on theres heavy clicking coming from the engine area, did not get to check anything else since there was not enough juice to do so..
Now I am curious that it just may be the switch..that would be golden..

Old 10-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Elchopperfreak
Had a similar problem with the S70's switch, nothing bad, just went a tad further and the dash and head lights would not work.. I realized it and hit it a bit back..

Did not realize it affected so many things ( good to know and learn) I went to check and 855 for sale and the battery has been major draining, when you turn it on theres heavy clicking coming from the engine area, did not get to check anything else since there was not enough juice to do so..
Now I am curious that it just may be the switch..that would be golden..
When you say SWITCH, I guess you mean the IGNITION SWITCH . It usually doesn't effect the start as much as it does the accessories. The battery was probably dead.

Last edited by rspi; 10-20-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-20-2011, 08:21 PM

Rspi
Yes, ignition switch!
The 855 for sale started fine (with juice in the batt) but theres something weird with the electrical system,like its shorted out, stuff clicking under the hood, which might just be the ignition switch.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Administrator

I would simply read the codes and go from there. Not sure what the clicking would be unless the ac compressor is trying to come on.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:50 PM

Sounded like a relay clicking away.. Big time
The owner thought he had a bad alternator..
Could be anything, but would be a fun troubleshoot, and could be very easy..
Thanks

Old 10-23-2011, 12:19 AM

Wanted a few days to see if the trick of moving the key would make the headlights come on, since they would work normally some days. Moving the key worked every time the lights would go out, and also brought back the econ/sport/winter mode switch , shift lock unlocks now, and even the seat belt warning lights . High beams are still out.
It didn't have an effect on the blower fan for heat/AC. it is on most of the time, when you drive the car at any speed . It blows warm air into the car, No way to turn it off or regulate the speed/ temperature.
I will be ordering an ignition switch and checking the relays on top of radiator, as there's still clicking coming from somewhere around there.
Thanks so much for all the great advice!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: main headlights wont come on