Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

More from the dunce

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More from the dunce

Overall, I got over it. It's actually more of an existential thing than a mechanical thing. I actually believe, now that some things are jinxed.

What happens is that we make mistakes and get stressed we loose our objectivity and begin to take shortcuts and risks (like craigslsit mechanics) we rationalize that we have already had enough bad luck and our luck will can only improve. This is very similar to a person who has a gambling addiction. They keep thinking that future events will be better because the prior events were negative. However, this is illogical.

I forgot to tell eveyone about the cat on this car. Before, I bought it, I observed a liitle smoke from the rear of the engine. The salesman told me it was just a leaky PVC line and assured me that he fix it before I picked up the car.

Two days later the pipe seperated between the exhaust manifoldand the cat. I crawled under there and observed a couple of dribbles of welding wire and a glob of muffler putty. Some fix!!! I called the salesman and started to swear at me saying, I impuned his integrety and I was making it hard to maintain his sobriety. He said he had turned his life around after prison and now was trying to make an honest living by lowballing sellers on Craigs List and putting a few bucks in the cars and reselling them. Needless to say, I wasn't going to get anywhere with him. Cavet Emptor (latin for let the buyer be ware).

Because of the location of the header pipe break, I concluded it was unfixible. I did find an after market cat for $ 250 so I decided to suck it up and buy it. I had a real hard communicating with the vendor "Carparts USA" because the orders were being handled by a call center in the Phillipines. I waited a week for my part and finally after numerous calls to the call center they found it and said I would get it in ten days. It did come but guess what? The wrong part!!!! The flange just did not match up. The call center lady, aka the exahust expert in the Manilla Call, didn't what a flange was because she said she never owned a car.

I was so upset after the ten day wait, twenty contentious calls to the Phillpines that I decided that I just wanted to get the car off the jackstands and out my garage. So I called the Bosal Exhaust Factory in Maryland and spoke directly to an English Speaking CS rep who gave me the right part number. He told me to order it from Autozone and they would direct ship to the outlet closest to me. Autozone did get it for me in two days but I had to pay $530!!!!

I just stuck $530 into a car worth $3000 but I figured S_ _ _ Happens!!

Then after I got the car on the road the RMS thing happened that mentioned earlier.

NOW DO SEE WHY I BELIEVE IN JINXES

What did I learn from this?

YA GET WHAT YA PAY FOR. You are taking a chance when you go with super low price part vendor because there call center people have absolutley no product knowledge. You might get lucky but you are taking a huge chance.

NEVER EVER TRUST A CAR SALESMAN!!!! My father, hated car salesmen. He said they are a pathetic breed. They are not smart enough to do any work that requires intellectual ability like an engineer nor the do they have the perserverence to obtain a degree and be a teacher or lawyer. They also don't like to do hard meaningfull work like being a mechanic or construction worker. Car salesmen are a unique creatures who can be somewhat charming and engaging yet lacking in character so they can do things like not telling buyers about leaky RMS and patched up exhaust systems. In short, they can do things that honest people simply can't. Kind of like a **** star who is willing to do lewd pervertred things on camera for $$$ while other people would rather work the counter at McDonalds and perserve their integrity.

Thank you so much letting me share this with you. These forums restore my faith GOD and Humanity. Diverse people all over the world willing to spend hours of their own personal time helping people they will never meet for no compensation nothing more than the satisfaction of helping others solve their problems