Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Most HP for the buck (Buying guide)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Most HP for the buck (Buying guide)

I regret to inform that I MAY be selling the '95 850 turbo soon. Anyone interested? (pictures in my profile) That being said, what is your opinion on the most horsepower for the buck?

The 850 turbo can get you 222hp stock for a low of $2000. That itself is a pretty good deal. That is $9 per horsepower!!!

I think the Subaru WRX STI's are awesome but I can't find one for under 10K. Any newer vehicle is just priced high because of its "newness". So I am setting 10k as the absolute upper limit on my budget.

I would like to have anything other than naturally aspirated. Having a car with a turbo will change a person for life. Even a car that comes stock without a turbo that is notorious for having a turbo added aftermarket may be an option for me. Also, something around 60k or 70k
miles would be ideal. I don't believe in buying cars when they have 200k already on them.

Any ideas guys? Any personal experience here?

Old 04-07-2009, 12:40 PM

I'm honestly never buying a non-turboed car again. After driving a Ford Contour, V6 model and then driving my tank, I love it! It pulls so much better then all my other cars. I've seen these cars go pretty damn cheep around here and I really don't see why not buy them? Turbocharged, more potential then any other rice, already built nicely and can take 300-WHP Easily with just a few bucks. They usually look clean, and you already have sleeper status.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:26 PM

Why are you selling the Volvo? Are you just looking for something different?

What are you expecting out of a new car besides boost? Do you have extra money to strengthen the drive train? If you dont mind having to put put money into it to make it bullet proof, I would definitely recommend any GM with the 3800 Series II Supercharged engine. The biggest weak link on them is the trans, which an upgraded one can be bought for around $2000-$2500 bucks and that should be good for 10's or 11's. The engine itself is pretty bullet proof and simple to work on. There are companies that have a very nice selection of turbos and inter coolers and all other needed parts. Let me know if you want some more info on these cars, I can get you some links to companies that have performance parts for these cars.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

10k....Well, I would drop atleast $5,000 into the 850, but that is just me....I would end up with a torque steer monster that could probably out run you in your modded EVO.....

Back to the topic....
You really want to look for something new.....How long have you had the 850.
If you really want something exciting......get an E36 M3. One of the best stock cars you can buy for the money.....IMO. pretty light car, descent amount of power, and an incredible suspension setup......All around it's a great car.

Only problem....It is a BMW, and they have some of the dumbest things to brake....

Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 PM

I'm considering selling the Volvo because I normally have to put about $1000 or more per year into it. I guess it's at the point in its life where stuff just seems to give up. I've had the fuel pump replaced twice (first one malfunctioned), new timing belt, complete new ignition system (excluding wires), fixed leak in cabin ventilation system, struts and shocks replaced, etc. The more I look back at the files the more I realize how much I have put into just maintenance of the car. I had a 20-point inspection done by our local Volvo dealership. There was like 3 urgent fixes and like 7 or 8 minor fixes that needed to be done. Next time I am around the house I will attach the documentation for inspection and see your guys' opinions.

Also, lately, it drives inconsistent. Sometimes it will run like the day I got it and sometimes the boost just won't spool and my acceleration feels soft.

Just from past experience, is there anything you guys think I should watch out for going out next? Car has 140,000 miles on it for reference. In your opinion, do you think the most expensive fixes are behind me?

I would like to keep it, really would, but it has become to much of nightmare recently. The only reason I don't have it right now here in college is because my check engine came on right before I was ready to leave home. Mt brother has an OBDII sensor that he will bring home as soon as we are both done with school so it is just sitting dormant at my parent's house.