Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Volvo 850 turbo wagon '96 hits 6 point buck at 45mph

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Volvo 850 turbo wagon '96 hits 6 point buck at 45mph

I was driving in bad conditions the other night and killed this deer, didn't have a chance to miss it. Airbags didn't deploy and honest to god it hardly felt as though i impacted anything.

So i have some pictures of my car, and it's sad. My insurance won't cover it and so I'm looking for a few answers from you good folks here at the forums. I can't get the hood open and the mount behind the grill is busted. the battery is jammed against the airbox. wondering if there's engine damage... i drove it back from the scene of the "murder" but no luck now. going for estimates tomorrow.

1. It starts and dies after a few seconds. The radiator was hissing when after i hit it, so i assume thats why.

2. How much do think it's going to cost for parts, and you can ballpark labor if you're brave enough. This is my second volvo 850, and i really loved it, despite an average of 15mpg 93 octane. Nicknamed, the batmobile!

so what do you think?

Old 11-12-2009, 05:35 PM

hasn't leaked any fluids, forget to mention. idle is real bad, i have to rev it to keep it from dying.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would take some pics of under the hood. Hoods you can find used for like a hundred bucks, fenders are usually about 50 bucks or cheaper, headlights you can find used for about 50 a piece, front bumpers usually about 50 bucks, radiators probably about 50-100 used. When I say used, I mean a private party parting a car, not from a salvage yard or something because they'll jack up the prices. And then getting everything resprayed if they're not in black.

And question, you're only averaging 15 mpg???? That's pretty bad. I average 23 mpg in stop and go city/highway driving with no O2 sensors (yeah, I know I should have them hooked up).

Old 11-12-2009, 06:01 PM

I happen to have a 850 that needs an engine. PM me if you want to buy the parts or car off of me. It is black.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 PM

Holy crap.... all that just from hitting a Deer! Glad we don't have that issue here in Fla! Good luck getting the brick fixed!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:40 PM

All of that? with all do respect Somthngfrce That's nothing... My father's in the collsion repair business and I've seen cars really wiped out by a deer hit. But looks like there could be radiator support damage, which is no big deal if you're your own customer and you're happy with just pulling it into place so the headlights fit (and align) and a replacement left fender fits.

I think gilber33 has the right idea and dan2286 has a solution.

dan2286 what happened to the engine?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, that shouldn't be too hard to fix. All those parts are bolt- on. If you didn't leak any fluids, you probably didn't break the radiator, but rather, the A/C condenser- that's right in the line of fire there. As for the engine not wanting to stay running, I'll bet your intercooler is broken. That would do it. It's between the radiator and condenser. The header panel/ radiator support will likely be the most expensive part of the repair if you end up going to a salvage yard that pulls parts for you. Look at self- pull type places... You'll probably find the parts pretty cheap... that is, of course, if Dan2286's solution doesn't do it

Old 11-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And yes, deer do a lot of damage. My coworker has a '99 V70XC, and he just hit a deer with it last week... it mangled the fender and smashed both right doors... the back door has a really deep dent in it. And Volvos aren't exactly made of thin metal... I've seen deer do much, much worse damage.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Default After alot of bs with towing and Kilkeary repair shop

my car now sits back in the parking lot. Is there a difference between the a radiator from a glt model and my 850 turbo? I might just buy a beater 850 glt and pull parts from it.

I was quoted $2900
$1000 in parts,
$1900 in labor. LOL

Already
$34 tow
$60 for estimate! bs
$28 tow

Last edited by kockyhardrockr; 12-10-2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: estimates
Old 12-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pre 97 GLT's were N/As, so some parts will be different, yes.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:59 PM

First.... if you aren't leaking fluids and the car runs find out why its not running right. DO NOT drive the car until you tie wire the hood down WELL, I learned this the hard way once.

Second... pick up the phone and call salvage yards in your area to see what they have. looks like you need left fender and hood(with grille) in black, radiator support (it's plastic so no pulling it out as I previously posted) left head light assembly, probably left hood latch and some other little odds and ends, AC condenser? maybe,radiator ? bumper cover, everything behind the bumper cover is probably good enough. Any paint by a good body shop will cost $$$, so if you can, avoid this. The materials alone to paint are expensive.

The biggest challenge is finding parts in the right color the job it self looks pretty easy. Just remember that once you put the parts on things have to be aligned. Don't just bolt the hood to the hinges and try to slam it or you might be look for another set of parts.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Smile update on the Volvo 850 turbo vs 6-point buck

After 2 estimates into the thousands, i've decided DIY is the only choice i have.
$150 for new ebay rad
$130 for ebay intercooler
$100 for junkyard hood

I got the haynes manual and went and removed the radiator and intercooler but does the A/C condensor have freon i should worry about escaping if i remove it? It was clearly punctured from the horns being smashed backwards.

The radiator and intercooler looked fine to me, minus the support mount on the driver's side being snapped in half. BUT i suppose they could be cracked anywhere since they're both pressurized systems... They were sort of just kept held up by the bottom coolant hose being pinched on the frame. when i pulled the intercooler, there was a few teaspoons of oil coming from the bottom. Normal? any ideas?

I'm considering putting the radiator back to pressure test it, and how would i go about doing the same for the intercooler. OR is this for professionals only?

Do these issues seem to logically fit the car not being able to start? sputtering and dying?

At this point, i've had two idiot mechanics and 4 idiot towmen start and drive my car when it clearly should not be run.

Last edited by kockyhardrockr; 06-13-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn man, i wish you lived closer to me....volvos in salvage yards are somewhat plentiful around here. I have a price list from the local yard I go to all the time:

Hood: $44.99
Radiator: $49.99
Intercooler: they dont have a price listed, but they would probably give it to you at the same price as a radiator.

And....theres a 96 GLT thats black in the yard im getting prices from. Its the same one I grabbed the transmission out of, actually.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by ibified
Damn man, i wish you lived closer to me....volvos in salvage yards are somewhat plentiful around here.
And where might you be living?

Old 06-14-2010, 12:10 PM

the bad idle is probably a vaccume line that got ripped off.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by matt01
the bad idle is probably a vacuum line that got ripped off.
Good call on the idle. Yep, vac lines, and piping disconnected from the idle control valve.

Got a rad, and just figure I'll replace littler things after i see the engine isn't toast. * which it isn't!
All new fluids, like $40.
I couldn't believe i saw it takes over 2 gal of ATF? *Definitely can't be right, i need to drain some ATF half the stick is wet.
Come across goldmine, foreign import used parts. Maroney's into Smithton, pa

Gave her a jump start, cranked right up after sitting for 7 months. Lots of tapping, and overall settling in. waited about 10 minutes added some more fluids, and it sounded better. No leaks

Put her in drive and GRIND! the rotors were pretty rusted. Eh.

Next day____________________________________________
start, idle, gentle drive, shifting through all the gears, smoke has stopped.
Everything went better than expected
Fan has not yet kicked on, i have to try to bypass the relay.

Bad news... the horn wires fell down and got run over by the drivers tire and stripped. It's pretty ugly, I'll have to take a pic.

Oh and PICTURES! Thanks dad, for blowing grass all up my engine bay.

matt01 you can see it here before i found it. Zip tied! clearly should have been more secured.

Lastly, i see a screw hole but what in the world screws in there?

Last edited by kockyhardrockr; 07-17-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: It's a new day
Old 07-29-2010, 12:08 AM

After a year and A LOT of bs... my car is fixed for what price you might ask?

Originally from Tim Kilkeary, Kilkeary Auto Body. Eighty-Four, Pa.
11/24/2009 at 09:13 AM
I asked specifically for no cosmetic work, only mechanical. After 2 weeks, waiting on an estimate...

KILKEARY'S AUTO BODY PRELIMINARY ESTIMATE
Insured: Claim # Owner: Policy # Address: Deductible: Date of Loss: Day: Type of Loss:Evening: Point of Impact: Inspect Business: Location: Insurance Company:

647 Thomas Road
Eighty Four, PA 15330
(724)941-4940 Fax: (724)941-2447
Written By: TIM KILKEARY

Him $3000
Me $275.30
will post pics tomo, too dark

Old 07-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job. Can't wait to see pics.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:06 PM

Kumho's

What i asked for almost a year ago.

All better, car needed painted anyways

I've tested and tested. Fan works, relay works, the thermostat definitely works, ECT i dunno maybe. I'm betting on the wires coming from ECU. I can turn the fan on if i ground the pins, but not from either wire. I also have my turbo rebuild kit shipped so i can pass emissions soon, leaking and burning fair amount of oil through the intake. Besides a few dings, and paint it's good enough for me.

Thanks for the threatening letters from your attorneys TIM KILKEARY. i appreciate how badly you want to F*** me but i don't swing that way

Last edited by kockyhardrockr; 07-29-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Gilbert, what happened to your sig pic?

Besides that, the car doen't look that bad. My uncle use to hit deer all the time in PA and they use to do a lot of damage. I'm glad I have not hit any. My insurance company said they do fix animal damage with no rate increase. I do have full coverage. Hope that works out. Sad to see good running cars damaged by accidents.