Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

My 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo: Thoughts, Plans, & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo: Thoughts, Plans, & Questions

Well, I paid $1,000 for it. It's a red wagon. It runs. There is no rust on it. The problems: odometer stopped about 7,000 miles so at 213,000; seat heaters don't work; check engine light is on for bank 1 oxygen sensor; exhaust is broke.

I didn't thing I was going to like it. I figured it was a yuppie car. I was wrong. It handles great, gets moving pretty quick, and is very comfortable.

I'm trying to find out a few things that I can do to it. I'm planning a cold air intake, fix/replace the exhaust from the turbo back with 2.25 inch pipe, and replacing the seat heaters.

The one thing I'm looking into as well is getting an OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter to use with an app on my Android phone. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations or thoughts. I have looked at the ELM 327 but don't know if it will work.

Also, any quirks or common failures would be appreciated.

Thanks and happy driving!

Last edited by azastrow1987; 12-13-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:20 PM

the stock air intake is pretty good, personally i would say don't buy the intake and put it towards something more beneficial

Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 12-12-2013, 07:11 AM

Wow. Thank you so much. I'll be a busy guy when it warms up here in central Wisconsin. Too cold to work on it now. :-(

Old 12-12-2013, 09:43 AM

First, change all the fluids, do a general tune-up(plugs, wires etc.), and check the PCV system. Then go through and replace all of the rubber hoses. I would spend a little extra on silicone vacuum lines and go "cheap" on a silicone intercooler hose set. I got a set from YJRacing, aka first.racing on ebay, for just over $100 with free shipping which is actually cheaper than the stock rubber Volvo hoses. If the exhaust needs replaced, just replace it with 2.5'' piping all the way back. You can get away with spending under $300 for a well done custom exhaust in regular steel piping including a Cat and Muffler. That'll open the motor up a lot. I'm running a stock downpipe and 2.5'' catless exhaust on my 95 turbo and it loves it. I have my boost turned up but the car picks up a lot quicker from a stop than when I bought it. I would personally go with a synthetic oil, either Mobil1 or Castrol Syntec/Edge as well since there's a high temperature turbocharger involved here. From what I've seen, the biggest performance changes you can do without taking the whole engine apart is changing to silicone intercooler hoses, boring the manifold and putting the N/A throttle body on, and reworking the exhaust. That alone will net a decent amount. You won't gain any power at peak but you'll get to peak quicker and stay there longer. I strongly suggest doing the throttle body swap when you change the PCV system if you are going to do the swap. It'll save you a lot of trouble and a little cash in the long run. That's just my .02, for what it's worth.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Inspect your timing belt and if in doubt as to its condition replace it !!
If you lose the timing belt, you likely lose the head. Minimum you damage some valves and have to remove the head to repair.

Read this (if you haven't already): https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...s-s-v70s-9266/

Cold air intake likely will not be any better than the stock unit. You can gain some by switching to a Snaab intake tube but retain the air box and intake snorkel with a K&N filter. People are for and against K&N's but that's another thread entirely.
Performance Fresh Air Pipe 93-97 850 T5

This is K&Ns idea of a cold air intake and you can buy their cone filter and some dryer vent hose for half the price !!

This is the NA throttle body conversion. Most of us build it rather than buy it but here are all the parts. You can do a search and find threads on how to as you need the NA manifold or bore or grind out your turbos manifold as the NA throttle plate is bigger.
Big Bore Turbo Intake Kit

A good down pipe will help the engine breath but it's likely you have a turbo with a conical exhaust flange. It's the most restrictive and the OBX doesn't come with a downpipe to fit. The link shows the difference between the conical and a straight flange turbo exhaust housing. You can replace just the exhaust housing so you can have better flow and a good downpipe.
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&b...28&tx=65&ty=91

When you can find them the complete OBX stainless exhausts are great, $350/450.
Google Image Result for http://www.vmotorsports.com/2771-large/volvo-850-turbo-fwd-obx-stainless-steel-full-turbo-back-exhaust-system-.jpg

Then you'll start thinking of a bigger turbo and for us the only performance option for an exhaust manifold other than "custom" spelled $$$$$$$$ is to scavenge an "R" manifold. The picture is self explanatory.

Silicone hoses +1
Synthetic oil and NO Fram filters +1
Basic tune up and replace all the vacuum hoses you can find !! Silicone is better.
Flush or bleed the brakes so you have clean fluid and check the pads all four
Check and change trans fluid if dark or smells burnt (Rspi has how to vids)
Same with steering fluid.
Lube all your hinges

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 12-12-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:08 PM

All fluids are new. I was really lucky to get such a clean car. I'm just trying to see what's what. :-)