Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

My Car Hiccups

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Car Hiccups

Hi everyone, I have noticed when driving my car to the ATM machine tonight that when I accelerate the car hiccups, almost like it is loosing power. If I hold my foot steady on the accelerator I can feel it jerking like it is loosing power and then quickly regaining it. My Turbo gauge does not work it is stuck on 12'o **** but the car is throw you into the back seat if you really press on the gas pedal. I am thinking this might have to do with the air intake and exhaust system. The engine and transmission are fine. OH! you really notice the hesitation in the car when going up steep hills.. you feel the power then drops and quickly pick back up, Any ideas on what this might be?

Old 07-29-2005, 03:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Car Hiccups

I am new to the Volvo world, but I have 20 years experience with turbocharged engines. Have your local Volvo mechanic go thru your ignition timing with a fine toothed comb.

Ignition timing should advance smoothly as you increase engine rpms.
Ignition timing should advance whenever you abruptly take your foot out of the throttle.
Ignition timing should retard smoothly as your turbo increases in boost.

It is possible that problem is related to distributor or vacuum advance functions.

Also, have your local Volvo mechanic check fuel pressure. You may be having a problem with fuel pump and/or fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pressure should rise smoothly as your turbo increases in boost.

Your fuel pump may be tiring out as demands are placed upon it while running under boost.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:49 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: My Car Hiccups

Also when was the last time it was tuned up and had the throttle body cleaned?