Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

my new 850 turbo needs help! Misfire!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just the plastic shield like in the above picture. It clips on.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The PNP switch is under the battery on top of the transmission. Here is the best write-up I could find for it:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=29930

It really isn't as hard to get aligned as they write. I have taken a few out and back in without needing any adjustments. Just try to put things back how you find them. The hardest thing to do is get the plug connector apart. You will need someting very stiff and very narrow, like a pocket knife blade.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrosport
how would that stop the motor from turning over? Its not that the motor turns over but doesnt start....it doesnt even turn over. Like if a starter motor was dead.
Gosh, my bad...I thought this thread was for a misfire.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:43 AM

^^No problem. Misfire has been solved with new plugs/wires/cap/rotor. Then I encountered some other issues and didnt bother to start a new thread.

The car pulls nicely now from 3500 rpms on. Its alot different from the 740 turbo I had, which the boost came on earlier but peaked much before redline.

I went to register it yesturday...
Im in maine, and the law says that any car over 15 years old doesnt need the title to be registered, just bill of sale and proof of insurance.

Well, that was the old law. the new law says any car '95 or newer needs the title!
These tards who make laws dont consider how it impacts us. They will never have to worry about it cause 1: they have the $$$ for new cars and 2: they know about the new law. They change laws but do I get a letter in the mail telling me the old law doesnt apply anymore...NO! I dont find out till I have a car that I cant register.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Wow. I guess they figure that most cars prior to '95 have fallen apart.

@ Boxpin: This is his rebuild thread. So, if you want to help you have to keep coming to see what the issue of the day is.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So the issue of the day is how to get a title in Maine ??

Old 02-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Yep... LOL

Old 02-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rspi

@ Boxpin: This is his rebuild thread. So, if you want to help you have to keep coming to see what the issue of the day is.
Hah, I am gathering that.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:20 PM

yep
called the town office....
was told the seller has to apply for a replacement title...which takes 6 months. That is unless he pays $20 more to rush it, in which case it still takes 3 weeks. Then he has to sign it over....just so I can apply to get a new one in my name.

Guess the state doesnt want me to register the car after all. It will almost be cheaper just to pay a ticket then to go threw the hassle of getting it registered.

The system cant really work when the people who make the laws earn 2-3 times as much money as the people they make laws for.

As if they didnt think to make an allowence for this kinda situation. Just grant me a new title based on my bill of sale. why should the previous owner have to spend $$$ and do extra work when he didnt know the law had changed. Its not like he or I got a letter informing us!

Plus, IMO there comes a point where keeping paperwork on an item gets silly. The current law (unless changed later) means that even if I kept the volvo for 10 years, when I sell it the buyer will need my title and apply for a new one. It retarded if you ask me.

You know it was some lame way of trying to make an extra buck for the state....and they did this instead of addressing all the ways the state WASTES money every day.

Laws like this need to have some kind of allowence so that the heads of people like me dont exploded

Old 02-07-2012, 05:50 PM

It also makes sure someone can't just steal a car from out of state and go get tags for it?

Could you give the seller the $20 to get it rushed? I'd gladly drop $20 for 3 wks vs 6 months.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Administrator

I would split the cost just to avoid the headache. Here in Arkansas, we have to exchange titles for lawn mower trailers, boat trailers, and campers.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 PM

yeh, its not really the money that bothers me. I dont mind giving the seller the full amount he needs to get a title. its not his fault the law changed.

90% of the cars I have owned were over 15 years old. Im pretty used to getting my car on the road with a bill of sale and proof of insurance.

Why does everything have to get complicated.

I cant imagine living in state that required titles for boats/sleds/lawnmowers. thats lame.

It does almost make me feel better to know that some guys have it worse

Old 02-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Administrator

LOL, you don't know the 1/2 of it. Make that the 1/8 of it.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:24 AM

WOW, I called a local volvo dealer hoping they could tell me what sensor is responsible for the trans code that the OBD II reader give me.

I was told the code was from an aftermarked reader and that they would need to used their volvo code reader to know what sensor.

Thats all find and well, till he said they charge a flat hour rate for that sort of thing.....$95! $95 just to LMK what may need replacing. Just cause I own an old volvo doenst mean im made of money.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 PM

Well that code seems to indicate the signal from the PNP switch. Here is a thread where someone describes its location and how to remove and clean it, as a start:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...m-29432/page2/

Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 PM

thanx for that link, the pic helps alot.

The volvo tech I spoke to agreed that the PNP switch could be causing some of my tranny issues.

He said they are hard to clean and its better to replace, but Ill do the cleaning method. Its not like the switch doesnt work at all. And they were $100 on ebay.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Well, that sure is better than the $143 per hour they charge here. I really don't think that is unreasonable. They have bills to pay and kids in college too. If they told everyone how to fix their cars over the phone, they'd have to shut down shop in a month. That's what these forums are for. Heck, I wouldn't be opposed to paying some of the guys that come on this site and spend a couple of hours a day helping people. Their time and expertise has saved me a few thousand over the past few years. Kicking someone $10 or so here and there when I could has been a pleasure.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Well, that sure is better than the $143 per hour they charge here. I really don't think that is unreasonable. They have bills to pay and kids in college too. If they told everyone how to fix their cars over the phone, they'd have to shut down shop in a month. That's what these forums are for. Heck, I wouldn't be opposed to paying some of the guys that come on this site and spend a couple of hours a day helping people. Their time and expertise has saved me a few thousand over the past few years. Kicking someone $10 or so here and there when I could has been a pleasure.
I had a simillar thought on another forum Im on alot, RCuniverse.com. I love RC models, all types. I have learned alot over 7 years, but many are just joining the hobby and the stuff thats out there to buy is pretty technical. I mean, you can buy a RTR 75mph electric model! But if you are new to the hobby then RTR, Lipo, ESC, LVC, 3500kv, 2.4ghz and other terms can be intimidating.
An nitro powered RC's are even tougher to learn, as with real cars a single symptom can have multiple possible causes.

I would prefer a car that didnt have any issues, but I do actually enjoy diagnosing a problem and fixing it with my own 2 hands.
I have owned over 20 cars in the past 12 years, but I can count the # of times I have paid a garage to fix my car on 1 hand. I have a decent sense of mechanics, but without forums I wouldnt have done half of the repairs/mod I have.
Honestly, without the internet I would be screwed right now!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:15 PM

thanx for that link, the pic helps alot
Not sure if I'd use gasoline like he recommends. I know the old guys cleaned everything with gas but I'd prefer something less corrosive.... and carcinogenic.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Administrator

I would prefer a car that didnt have any issues, but I do actually enjoy diagnosing a problem and fixing it with my own 2 hands. I have owned over 20 cars in the past 12 years, but I can count the # of times I have paid a garage to fix my car on 1 hand. I have a decent sense of mechanics, but without forums I wouldnt have done half of the repairs/mod I have. Honestly, without the internet I would be screwed right now!
I pretty much agree. But a car that didn't have any issues would be called a NEW CAR. And they have issues that you have to force the dealer to take care of.

My brother-in-law purchased a '90 Mits Eclips and 2 months after he purchased it, I told him to have the timing belt changed, if it had one. Well, 2 months later it broke and destroyed the head. Paid about $1,450 to get it fixed and guess what... 45 days later it broke again. Destroyed the head. So he made the guy fix it since the job was so soon. That was about 2-1/2 years ago. Guess what happened Friday... The belt jumped the cam again. Less than 15,000 miles later. My guess is that the first time that guy just had the head redone and did the belt only. The 2nd time it loss a roller. Not sure, he never said what happened. My guess is that it jumped this time because the tensioner failed. To the life of my I can believe that the mechanic would NOT have replaced everything in the path. But I simply can not believe he did and this belt cam loose again. No Way!!! How stupid could a mechanic be??? The point is, if my brother-in-law would have replaced it himself, he would have likely replaced everything. I don't think the mechanic ever told him about a tensioner or the rollers.

Sad to say, the only way to make sure it's done right is to do it yourself. If you pay a mechanic to replace your brakes and while there he see's a old rotten brake hose, and he doesn't tell you about it or replace it, is it his fault when the brake like fails in 9 months and you have to get it fixed? It may not be his fault but he is a sorry A*& mechanic in my book.