Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

my new 850 won't start in Minnesota

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my new 850 won't start in Minnesota

Yep thats right, Just bought a 1995 850 GLT wagon that we love, but turns out that it won't start after sitting out in the cold overnight...I've read about starting issues here, but I wanted to put my two cents in. I tried taking out the fuel pump fuse and starting it. Still didn't start. I thought I jumped it the first time and it started right away, then worked the rest of the day. Yesterday it started right up after overnighting. Today didn't start, tried to jump it, still didn't start. But then I put it in gear (it's a manual) and held down the clutch and it started right up. I did have the battery charger on jump start though. So I'm wondering if there is any relationship to starting and have a manual in gear?? It's hard to test this thing since it only doesn't work once in the morning...It's been below zero overnight for the last few days, and that's all we've had the car for, as well. Thanks for any input. Peace.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: my new 850 won't start in Minnesota

The engine cranks over when it won't start?
If so then you need to try to see what you are missing when it doesn't start.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:01 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Possibilities:

- Faulty CPS
- Faulty ECT sensor
- Faulty immobiliser (if so equipped)
- Faulty starter
- Faulty battery
- Faulty alternator

When was the last tune-up + the mileage of the car? I also like to know the age & brand-name of the battery.

EDIT: I would also retrieve possible codes from OBD-I. Let us know if you need help as to how to pull codes from the on-board computer.

JPN

Old 01-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 for battery and tune up to start with!

Old 02-04-2009, 02:07 PM

Well, it turn out the battery is good, I charged it and my volvo mechanic said it was fine, although I still have my qualms because it is not a brand name battery. Anyway, the car starts pretty well when it is 5 degrees F or warmer, but not at all under that after sitting out overnight. The mechanic said he thought the starter was fine, but maybe it is the fuel pump relay. I've been jumping it when it doesn't start in the morning, but it hasn't been the biggest deal yet. Jumping it doesn't seem to work right away, for some reason. Do you think it is the relay? Today it started at 10F, but only after I tried it once, didn't work, waited two minutes with the key on, then it worked. The car has 112K.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Cool RE: my new 850 won't start in Minnesota

maybe you need to get it out of minnesota?!?! ...just kidding.

i'm not sure i can help but... like the others have said, when were the air filter, plugs, wires, cap & rotor last replaced? i'm guessing you dont have a garage, i lost my garage in my divorce. i sure miss my garage. i have had difficulty staring on the coldest mornings also, i now park my car on the opposite side of my street so the sun can hit the hood, it sounds silly, but it helps mine start.

in the wicked cold you should try to keep your gas tank full (or as close to it as you can afford), leaves less space for moisture/condensation to collect and cause fuel issues.

good luck!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi CosmicMonkey, Please answer Tech's question; when you experience the problem, does the engine crank over but not start? Or does the engine not crank over at all? The more info you can provide would help us help you.