Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Need 2second favor. Please? ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need 2second favor. Please? ASAP

just did some work on the Volvo 850 and after reassembly realized that one of the two vac. lines running off the air filter was disconnected on the opposite end.
If you stand facing the air filter from the drivers side front tire, to your right (closest to the firewall), there are 2 vacuum lines placed vertically. The upper on mine is a white vac. line that runs to the vac tree above the throttle body. The lower one is a black vacuum line that is disconnected from somewhere.

Please will someone do me a two second favor and pop the hood and explain where the other vac. line connects from the air box to?????

Thanks, here waiting. Any help is appreciated. I don't want to fire it up and throw an engine code for something stupid like that.

thanks

Josh

Old 04-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Default RE: Need 2second favor. Please? ASAP

anyone? still sitting here waiting for the info. I don't want to start the car till I reconnect> pleeeeeease?

Old 04-22-2007, 04:24 AM

the members of this forum (25) that viewed this post, and couldnt take two seconds to check out their vehicle to lend a hand are ********.
it's pretty sad when you cant take two seconds of time to look at your car to help out fellow volvo owner.

I had to call a volvo dealer to ask a tech to help...and even he had to look at a vehicle to trace it since the vac diagram didnt show it.

Sad. I'll be sure to answer tech questions when people ask in the future.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry man, if I had logged on I would have definitely looked, but my wife has me painting the kitchen. I hope you got it done. Did you try and get your answer on one of the other message boards like vovlospeed.com?

Old 04-22-2007, 12:30 PM

I honestly wanted to help you.

I was reading the forum through a blackberry and couldn't post.

I couldn't seem to find the lines you were talking about..Or at least I wasn't exactly sure which ones you were talking about. I saw a couple lines, but they were pretty deep down there..

Sorry about that.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Please don't judge too fast. Out of the 25 people you said checked out this topic, I'm willing to bet several of them do not even have 850's yet and are simply reading the forum to gain knowledge. Just my .02 If I would have read this thread before this morning, I would have gone out to the son's car and looked for you.

Glenn

Old 04-22-2007, 03:53 PM

sorry, but I dont believe for a second that out of 25 people who read the post yesterday while I was waiting for a reply, that NONE of them had an 850 to go check.
whatever - thats what sets the good forums apart from the lesser ones. when you know you can jump on, post something when in dire need of a quick answer, and someone that reads it will take the 2seconds out of their "busy" life to check on it for you....knowing damn well that they may need the same sort of assistance someday and hope to have the same luck. I requested popping the hood and taking a quick glance at something...I didnt ask someone to remove the intake or jacking up the vehicle etc.

I got my info. but through no help of those that read it and blew it off.

To those that didnt even read it, obviously its not directed at you. I just have used several of these boards (you can check Blazer Boards, Volvo Boards, Mercedes Boards, and Nissan 300ZX Boards), and I've done jobs as simple as oil change how tos to complete overhauls and done step by step photos with etc., and I do it because I know how helpful it can be to watch someone elses procedure, and learn from their mistakes. I would expect to get the same knowledge from others, and thats what makes these forums great. Going into a job you've never done before with the knowledge from someone who has can mean the difference between disaster and ease. It pisses me off to see such a simple request read and ignored when it was stated that I was sitting waiting for an answer before I could start my car.

It's not the end of the world, but it just shows how lazy and selfish people can be sometimes. Keep in mind, its the wait time, and general knowledge of the board that decides how useful it is. If you want others with knowledge to use THIS board as opposed to GOOGLING for another better one...these are the things that matter.

Enjoy the weekend

Old 04-24-2007, 11:05 PM

ORIGINAL: JBVolvo

the members of this forum (25) that viewed this post, and couldnt take two seconds to check out their vehicle to lend a hand are ********.
it's pretty sad when you cant take two seconds of time to look at your car to help out fellow volvo owner.

I had to call a dealer to ask a tech to help.

I think the ******* is the person who takes apart their car and can't figure out what they took apart. Are you kidding me? You actually have the nuts to call people out on this forum for looking at topic an not posting? If I recall correctly, you are the newbie here, so you might want to use the small brain of yours and think before you type. - AB

Old 04-25-2007, 02:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to call a dealer to ask a tech to help.

Easy now... I don't know about everyone here but I don't read the forums all the time with the car next to me or any where near me. I do a lot of reading while I'm on campus between classes. Most people can't just run off to their cars to go checking things espcially since this forum has a small core group of posters. I know I typically make a mental note to do things but I'll be honest my brain is easily sidelined and I go off on tangents pretty easily so things get pushed off. I'm sure some went out to their car popped the hood and then couldn't figure out what was going on because they might not be too sure what exactly is going on, maybe a hose color is off, and thus don't want to post because they don't have all the information, or don't want to give you questionable information.

AND FINALLY...

If you had searched on this forum for "vacuum diagram" you would find that there is a diagram on your hood (or at least there should be one) and you could have probably figured this out yourself.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:24 PM

I think the ******* is the person who takes apart their car and can't figure out what they took apart. Are you kidding me? You actually have the nuts to call people out on this forum for looking at topic an not posting? If I recall correctly, you are the newbie here, so you might want to use the small brain of yours and think before you type. - AB
A - I didnt remove the vacuum line intentially. I realized it was off while doing something else on a vehicle I've owned for less than 2months. For all I know it couldve been off before I bought it.
B - Yes, I called out the people that read and couldnt take 2 seconds to take a look at their vehicle to see how something is already routed. Would've been real tough to run a hand along the vac line and respond with its whereabouts...right?
C - Newbie or not, I'm not new to forums nor am I new to working on vehicles. I've built engines from the ground up, and everything in between and although I don't know the extent of your knowledge, you considering the fact that I'm new to this online board having ANY relevance in this is ridiculous.
My small brain (which is capable of keeping me employed as a Torpedo Technician) asked for a favor. (and to reply to info2x) I did research it, found no information previously, and no vacuum diagrams I found helped either not even that on the hood. Like I said - even the volvo tech had to go look at a vehicle to see what it connects to because it was so hidden and he couldnt find it in a diagram. And that was a Volvo Technician that works on them daily. It's nearly impossible to see the port without removing the entire airbox...I spent a long time looking everywhere I could for the port before I asked on the board, I don't just throw up my hands and give up.

Call me an ******* if you like...I'm pretty sure I asked for someone to take 2seconds to look at their vehicle to see something that should have already been hooked up to a (in this case completely hidden) port....and instead have idiots like yourself telling me I have ***** for being annoyed by their laziness. If you arent one of those lazyones that read it and ignored it, then stfu.The same ones that didwill use my HowTo's that I spend an hour or more on with photos to assist them. Like I said before...it's the difference between a useful forum, and one that causes people to move on to better ones....

I know better then to get into online quarrels and make threats etc. because its a joke. Everyones a tough guy online. Rest assured you wouldnt haveanything to say to me in person. If youthink you do let me know and I'll give you my home address. Stop by anytime.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:58 PM

C - Newbie or not, I'm not new to forums nor am I new to working on vehicles. My small brain (which is capable of keeping me employed as a Torpedo Technician) asked for a favor. (and to reply to info2x) I did research it, found no information previously, and no vacuum diagrams I found helped either not even that on the hood.

Call me an ******* if you like...I'm pretty sure I asked for someone to take 2seconds to look at their vehicle to see something that should have already been hooked up to a (in this case completely hidden) port....and instead have idiots like yourself telling me I have ***** for being annoyed by their laziness. The same ones that will use my HowTo's that I spend an hour or more on with photos to assist them. Like I said before...it's the difference between a useful forum, and one that causes people to move on to better ones....

I know better then to get into online quarrels and make threats etc. because its a joke. Everyones a tough guy online. Rest assured you wouldnt have much to say to me in person.
Well at least you did some research, that's more than most will do (I too have failed to use search now and then). I'm wondering if it is even part of the vac system, perhaps that's why it wasn't on a diagram.

I think the issue here is you calling the 25 people ********. I am one of those 25. I read your post during some downtime in class. I made a mental note to go and check this out when I went back to my apartment. Between when I read your post and when I got back to my apartment I forgot about it, probably because something with the Formula team came up, either way I didn't check. Does that make me an *******? I don't think so, it's an honest slip of the mind.

Now I just took the time in the rain to look under my hood. I saw nothing like what you discribed in your original post. Perhaps you have a different model year or something else (you should specify the car in question as good practice). Now if I had gone out and looked at my car after reading your post there is a very good chance I wouldn't post a solution because I don't have one. Does this make me an *******?

Just a quick step back to specifiying the exact car you had. People wouldn't know what kind until they read the post, and since air induction is different for turbos vs. NA engines people with a turbo might not respond if your car is a NA or the otherway around. Would these people be ********? It's like glenn said some people just read to gain knowledge for future issues they might end up having. Again are these people ********?

Old 04-25-2007, 03:09 PM

Well at least you did some research, that's more than most will do (I too have failed to use search now and then). I'm wondering if it is even part of the vac system, perhaps that's why it wasn't on a diagram.

I think the issue here is you calling the 25 people ********. I am one of those 25. I read your post during some downtime in class. I made a mental note to go and check this out when I went back to my apartment. Between when I read your post and when I got back to my apartment I forgot about it, probably because something with the Formula team came up, either way I didn't check. Does that make me an *******? I don't think so, it's an honest slip of the mind.

Now I just took the time in the rain to look under my hood. I saw nothing like what you discribed in your original post. Perhaps you have a different model year or something else (you should specify the car in question as good practice). Now if I had gone out and looked at my car after reading your post there is a very good chance I wouldn't post a solution because I don't have one. Does this make me an *******?

Just a quick step back to specifiying the exact car you had. People wouldn't know what kind until they read the post, and since air induction is different for turbos vs. NA engines people with a turbo might not respond if your car is a NA or the otherway around. Would these people be ********? It's like glenn said some people just read to gain knowledge for future issues they might end up having. Again are these people ********?
I always research before asking questions. Especially one like this. It wasnt a "how do you this" question. It was a "what does this connect to" question since no info I could find showed it. Not a common sense or experience related question.
25 people read it. Yes, some like yourself may have had reasons why they couldnt go check it right then. Understood. But 25? Regardless. Don't take it personal if you had a valid reason other then being lazy. Like I said, some have the line some don't. peace

Old 04-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there are quite a few ******** in the world. Wow, I didn't even know I could say ******* on this board. I'm sure glad I learned something today. I can type ******* all I want.

See I'm at work now and I can't go check, but after reading the last couple posts, I'm going to check and see if I have the line in question and let you know whether or not I could have answered the question or not had I read the post before the ******* comment.

Hopefully I have the record for the most ******** in one post.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: JimKW

I think there are quite a few ******** in the world. Wow, I didn't even know I could say ******* on this board. I'm sure glad I learned something today. I can type ******* all I want.

See I'm at work now and I can't go check, but after reading the last couple posts, I'm going to check and see if I have the line in question and let you know whether or not I could have answered the question or not had I read the post before the ******* comment.

lmao. too funny. I would be interested to hear either way. I'd like to know why some have it, and some don't. Peace.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:35 PM

ORIGINAL: JimKW

I used it 5 times in my post, no dice Jim.

JB... what kind of car? My guess is that is has something to do with the airbox thermostat. There may have been a design change.

One important thing to remember is that it's 25 views not 25 users, and as as you bumped your post people might have reread to gain information.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:47 PM

JB... what kind of car? My guess is that is has something to do with the airbox thermostat. There may have been a design change.

One important thing to remember is that it's 25 views not 25 users, and as as you bumped your post people might have reread to gain information.
Whatever. I'm over it honestly. I said my 2cents..maybe 3.
As far as the car, you're right I should've stated non-turbo in the original question but I did state it was an 96 850. I usually do but anyway. It's a 1996 850 Wagon (non-turbo).

I hadn't realized there even was a thermostat on the airbox. I've sat and drawn a diagram and tried to figure out how it would function vacuum-wise. All I can figure, is that when you hit the throttle, the vacuum in the top half of the box sucks the door open, and as soon as you release the throttle the relaxation of the air that was rushing into the throttlebody releases and shuts the door. It's still hard to picture to be honest since its routed from the top of the box, to the bottom half (i.e. -before the filter) and even more that the door was stuck open when I realized it. This makes me think the dramatic change of gas mileage had to be from vacuum leak alone...thnk about the the the way it gets cold air is by (1) pulling through the intake tube on the front of the car (2) through the bottom of the airbox, (3) through the filter into the top half of the airbox, and then (4) into the throttle body.

I can only assume that because there was a vac leak on the upper half of the box - it wasnt pulling with as much force from the intake (outside the car)...as it would normally. Instead it was pulling some from outside the car (less than normal), and some from the tiny vacuum tube loose in the engine.

Still doesnt answer why some 96's have it and some don't...or really how the door functions exactly.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:26 PM

A - I didnt remove the vacuum line intentially. I realized it was off while doing something else on a vehicle I've owned for less than 2months. For all I know it couldve been off before I bought it.
B - Yes, I called out the people that read and couldnt take 2 seconds to take a look at their vehicle to see how something is already routed. Would've been real tough to run a hand along the vac line and respond with its whereabouts...right?
C - Newbie or not, I'm not new to forums nor am I new to working on vehicles. I've built engines from the ground up, and everything in between and although I don't know the extent of your knowledge, you considering the fact that I'm new to this online board having ANY relevance in this is ridiculous.
My small brain (which is capable of keeping me employed as a Torpedo Technician) asked for a favor. (and to reply to info2x) I did research it, found no information previously, and no vacuum diagrams I found helped either not even that on the hood. Like I said - even the volvo tech had to go look at a vehicle to see what it connects to because it was so hidden and he couldnt find it in a diagram. And that was a Volvo Technician that works on them daily. It's nearly impossible to see the port without removing the entire airbox...I spent a long time looking everywhere I could for the port before I asked on the board, I don't just throw up my hands and give up.

Call me an ******* if you like...I'm pretty sure I asked for someone to take 2seconds to look at their vehicle to see something that should have already been hooked up to a (in this case completely hidden) port....and instead have idiots like yourself telling me I have ***** for being annoyed by their laziness. If you arent one of those lazyones that read it and ignored it, then stfu.The same ones that didwill use my HowTo's that I spend an hour or more on with photos to assist them. Like I said before...it's the difference between a useful forum, and one that causes people to move on to better ones....

I know better then to get into online quarrels and make threats etc. because its a joke. Everyones a tough guy online. Rest assured you wouldnt haveanything to say to me in person. If youthink you do let me know and I'll give you my home address. Stop by anytime.
Re-read my post. I was calling you newbie for calling everyone on the board an ******* for not responding to your needs in 11 hours of posting time... on a Saturday no less. You joined this forum on 4/2/07, so yes, you are a newbie... which has nothing to do with your skills. Regardless of whether you've built your own engines or what your job is, you were the one asking for help and you were the one calling everyone ******** 11 hours later, when most people probably weren't on this forum (myself included)

About me:My name is Aaron Buckley.I race an RX8 in SCCA Autocross National Series (both National Tour and ProSolos) all over the country. I placed 4th overall in the nation B Stock ProSolo and 5th overall at the SCCA Solo Nationals in 2006. I've raced Miatas, MR2 Spyders, Celicas, BMW's and many other cars over the years. I've built my own engines and torn down anything up to including transmissions etc... I live in Charlotte, NC and work for Wachovia.

I'm not here to argue, because arguing on the internet is for idiots. All I was asking for is some respect when you're asking for help. We try to be as accomodating as possible, but we all are pretty busy. I think you'll also find the Volvo Forums, unlike Volvospeed is really geared towards keeping are cars running well and fixing problems, instead of, 'MBC: How much is too much?' type posts on Volvospeed. I will say that their are many knowledgable people on VS, but they are few and far between.

Also, even with my background, I need some help too. We all do at times, so don't think that I'm above asking. Welcome to the board. - AB

Old 04-25-2007, 09:45 PM

The thermostat on the airbox regulates where air is coming from, so what you're talking about doesn't sound like the stat. On cold days the air will be drawn in from above the exhaust manifold to preheat it and help bring the engine up to temp quicker. After a bit the flap then directs fresh "cold" air from the front above the radiator to be inducted.

[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-25-2007, 10:24 PM

Give me a break.

Who the hell do you think you are Mr. Dick-tator?

As these later replies indicate, some of us didn't even know what you were talking about. Nor did we have the means to ask for clarification. If even the Tech couldn't figure it out, how do you expect us to know exactly what you're talking about? Not all 25 people who clicked your post is a Volvo expert, and many are in the same position as yourself. They are on this board to learn more about their own cars, and frankly, probably don't know much.

If you've been on here for even a week, you'd realize this is a slow board; however there are very very solid posters who are very very helpful.

If you're going to ask about help, fine.
But come on, show some respect.
You're the new guy who's calling everyone out because things didn't go your way. Boo hoo.

You act like people went out of their way to not help you.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 PM

Give me a break.

Who the hell do you think you are Mr. Dick-tator?

As these later replies indicate, some of us didn't even know what you were talking about. Nor did we have the means to ask for clarification. If even the Tech couldn't figure it out, how do you expect us to know exactly what you're talking about? Not all 25 people who clicked your post is a Volvo expert, and many are in the same position as yourself. They are on this board to learn more about their own cars, and frankly, probably don't know much.

If you've been on here for even a week, you'd realize this is a slow board; however there are very very solid posters who are very very helpful.

If you're going to ask about help, fine.
But come on, show some respect.
You're the new guy who's calling everyone out because things didn't go your way. Boo hoo.

You act like people went out of their way to not help you.
You're an idiot and repost whatever everyone else says just reworded. Anyone can search your replies.
Let's make a deal, don't add your halfass responses to my threads and I'll stay away from yours. Saying the exact same thing that was already said just to feel like you're part of the "forum" is useless. **** off.

Quick Reply: Need 2second favor. Please? ASAP