Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

need crash course on 850 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need crash course on 850 turbo

Its been a bit since i was in the volvo game. I have owned 4 different 740's and loved them all. the last was a 92 turbo wagon, a steal at $450!

Anyway, I may very soon be buying a 95 850 turbo wagon (not the R )

Has 212k, looks very clean, no dents or damage. Looks like it was taken care of.

Now, I have some my share of basic modding of cars....but mostly in the toyota/honda type...and N/A's.

Here is what I would like:
Sound
Performance

And in that order. I love the sound of a blow off valve. I have seen many on ebay for $40-$50 that claim to fit the 850 turbo. Is that really the case? I would think that the mount would be specific.
Also, can these cheap blow off valves be adjusted?

I will also want a high flow muffler(wish i could do the whole exhaust but thats not in the budget) I need to know what is the OD of the pipe that goes to the stock muffler. I want to get one i can just bolt on.

Those both go under "sound", getting the car to sound meaner.

Now under performance...im sure i will do a high flow intake at some point. But are there any other inexpensive things that can boost performance. I have watched many utube vids of 850s running what seems double the stock PSI, I wont be able to afford such upgrades. But is there any inexpensive way to increase PSI by 1 pound? Enough to notice a HP gain but not enough to require new injectors, fuel pump, cooling or computer tune.

So guys, as title says i need a crash course. I guess you could say i want to know the reccomendations for a "stage 1" tune...the basic upgrades.

Also, what is the model turbo that comes stock on the 95? I seen lots of utube vids saying 19t turbo...is that a volvo model, or a common upgrade?

1 last Q, the wagon im looking at doesnt have the rear spoiler...which i like. I have looked around on the web and only found 1, on ebay going for $200! I have a 06 scion XB and wanted a spoiler for it, but the stock ones were also around $200...but i got a carbon fiber one(same shape as stock) for $100 that installed with double sided tape. I dont suppose anyone know if there is a carbon fiber spoiler out there for the wagon?

BTW, i read the sticky on how to make a N/A 850 go faster...that made me laugh.

Last edited by nitrosport; 01-20-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

You will want to start with a Stage 0 then move from there. Below is a link that give you all the options you can do to your engine.

Modifying Fwd Turbo Volvos

Old 01-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything you just asked, can all be found by searching. It's like a compilation of questions asked weekly in one post. lol. Sorry. But do some searching, here and on Volvospeed. Let me give you some key words to use in your search:

Manual Boost controller
Exhaust
Cheap performance upgrades
blow off valve
boost gauge

That should get you started

Old 01-24-2012, 11:33 AM

OK, that info did help some.

Anyone know the outer diameter of the exhaust pipe that goes into the muffler?

How does a manual boost controler work?

How much can one safely turn up the boost on a stock 850 turbo? I know that generally more boost requires more fuel. Will the stock injectors / fuel pump and computer alloy for 1-2 more pounds of boost?

Also, how does a blow off valve work?
does the 850 have a blow off valve...or a wastegate(and is there a difference?)

Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nitrosport
OK, that info did help some.

Anyone know the outer diameter of the exhaust pipe that goes into the muffler?

How does a manual boost controler work?

How much can one safely turn up the boost on a stock 850 turbo? I know that generally more boost requires more fuel. Will the stock injectors / fuel pump and computer alloy for 1-2 more pounds of boost?

Also, how does a blow off valve work?
does the 850 have a blow off valve...or a wastegate(and is there a difference?)
Your asking questions again without searching. You know, Gabe and I had to go through the ringer trying to find out everything about these cars. Its all out there. You just need to search. IN FACT every question you are asking you can find in this 850 forum because I remember seeing them. You need to put a bit of effort into it.

I will answer a few:
Stock boost is 9.6lbs, 10.5 for an R
1-2 more pounds of boost, yes but you will hit fuel cut off (from over boosting) around 14psi
They do have a blow off valve and a wastegate but have different names, at least the blowoff valve does.
For the blowoff valve 'how does it work' Q - Youtube
Several of these questions would not be asked if you read the link I posted earlier.

Bang for your Buck changes - Get your ECU remapped

Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 PM

Right, as stated, everything you're asking can be found by searching both here and volvospeed and doing a basic google search, ie "how does a blow off valve work". Also, read the link to the thread that was posted, everything is answered in there.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:11 AM

OK, done some searches on youtube.

do i understand the manual boost controler right....that there is a holes from the turbo to the wastegate...and the MBC goes between them and releases some of the pressure in that line so that the wastegate doesnt open untill higher boost pressures are reached?

If thats the case, then in most cases MBC's are generic...meaning they will work on most any turbo charged car, right?

I also watched some vids on the blow off valve. I get how it works...but is the mount pretty generic? Does a "V" band adapter work for the 850?
Also, what PSI should the BOV open at? Most of the ones I found on ebay that say they are for the 850 open at 8psi. That is lower than the 9.6 psi that the turbo can produce. Is it lower because you do not need to release all the boost pressure when the throttle plate is closed?
Maybe there is a search to answer such a question...but im not even sure im asking the Q right!
Basically, I want a BOV that will be louder and not risk damaging anything.

also, I noticed that nearly all manual boost gauges show a vaccume amount as well. whats that tell you?

Last question is on the ECU remapping. Is that something that has to be done at a performance shop? Or would I have to send the ECU out to some company? Or is there some hand held computer I can buy that will adjust the ECU?

Last edited by nitrosport; 01-25-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 PM

Come on man. It's like you still didn't read/search everything. Search google, don't just watch videos.

-Yes, MBC's will work on most Turbocharged cars, not new ones however, on an 850 yes. Did you even search Volvo speed for manual boost controller? I don't think you did because you would know the answer and how to install it with your eyes closed.

-BOV doesn't open on boost, it requires vacuum to open. Again, google search how does a blow off valve work, and you'll know.

-Also, if you want a BOV just because it sounds cool, that's dumb. Couple reasons, 99% sure you have an auto, so it's not even going to go off when you shift gears. Autos hold boost between gears unlike a manual. It will go off whenever you let off the gas, that's dumb. Two, unless you get a recirculating BOV (I'm not going to tell you what that is, because you still need to hit google with how a BOV works) you will run rich every time the BOV releases pressure because your car's air intake is based off of the MAF, if you're venting to atmosphere your losing air that your car thinks is there allowing your car to run rich, unless you recirc post maf but pre turbo. Three, BOV's are not model specific, meaning there is no factory mounting point for it, you either have to order the silicone intercooler pipe with a BOV port on it, or it will have to be custom.

-Why do boost gauges have vac readings on them? Soooo you can read your vac. Again, obviously you didn't search or read up on this, or you would know the answer.

-Tuning.....SEARCH. Search vendors, IPD, RICA, ARD. All your questions will be answered with some searching. In short, you have to send your ECU out to get flashed.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm being a dick, but come on, you keep asking the same questions that are all EASILY answered by searching and scouring through the forums. All your questions have been asked a million times and there is a ton of information out there for it. I know because through search and reading the forums I did an engine and manual transmission swap by myself, all with simple searches and using google.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:50 PM

Wow the hell with the blow off valve and just get a short ram. You can hear the blow off kinda like a darth vader sound but can be heard in and out of the car. Watch my youtube video of me at the dragway you can hear it when I lift at the end of the track! Link at the bottom! I think stock pipe is 2 1/4?? I have an OBX 3" turbo back, drops to 2.5" after the "test pipe," sounds great fairly quiet at
Idle and cruise and sounds awsome at WOT! I have a MBC (manual boost controller) hooked in to my car 14psi all day occasional spike to 16-17! I also have a wide band guage hooked up to verify I'm not running lean. Too lean=melted pistons!! Not good! I am also running a Wahlbro 255lph fuel pump! My car is an R so can take a little more kicking, wastegates were different between models also! If you go on IPDs web site you can look up wastegate set up and adjustment! These are very picky cars I did a Stage 0 before anything else. My car was only putting 6psi out when I got it found the issue and fixed it and continued with the time up and PCV and other maintenance. If you got a FAT wallet and some ability these thing can move! I've shocked a few guys at work with mine!!!! But hey I did a lot of research to figure out and to prevent further issues. Been driving for 4 months issue free at 14psi! Getting my tune ordered next week, can't wait!

http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv...Gg&view=videos

Here's a clip on my local site of the OBX at idle and WOT sitting still!

http://www.floridavolvocommunity.net...ilit=OBX#p2857

Old 01-29-2012, 09:04 PM

doing searched may get me general answers, but not specific enough.

Plus, isnt that what this forum is for?

I did research on blow off valves, but what I saw said that ones the reciculate the air dont help performance. But as was said here, thats doesnt add up cause it will give the MAF incorrect readings. SO, the search I did on BOV's would have led me to get the wrong kind and possible cause damage!

Also, I know that BOV's release when the throttle plate is closed and that this will not happen when accelerating with an auto....but who doenst like to rev their engine for fun?

Anyway, it looks like I should be buying the volvo this weekend. Agreed apon price is $1600. Not bad considering KBB says $2700 in its condition.

I plan to buy a boost gauge. That should help give me some idea the current condition of the turbo/piping ect. (im assuming that if there is a stock gauge that it doesnt show PSI)

I also found a full carbon fiber dash kit for the 850's. Its $100, but looks like if I take my time to install it will really change how the interior feels.

I am still unsure what I will do in terms of the exhaust. Again, I would love to do a full turbo back kit, but wont have the cash. I would like a slightly better noise tho. I have seen flowmaster (knock-off) mufflers on ebay. Since these are made to deepen the sound, and not make it raspy or high pitched like most of the cheap aftermarket mufflers I think I may try one. I dont want the car to be a full-on street machine. It will still need to be quite when I'm driving normal. I just want it to growl a bit when I mash the throttle

If after I do a tune-up and find that boost pressure is where it should be, Ill get a manual boost controler and add 1-2 pounds.

I assume that 1-2 pounds will only give 5-15 HP more, but every little bit helps.

I will also get a high-flow air intake. Both to help the sound of the turbo/BOV be heard, and to help throttle responce and low end power.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:01 PM

1 more question...
I googled, and checked ebay but couldnt find these...
windshield decal that says "quick brick"
I know back when i had my 740's I wanted such a decal, just never got around to it. I know ive seen them but cant find them.

Quick brick may not be as fitting for the more rounded 850, but I still think its a cool decal.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[quote=nitrosport;303869]OK, done some searches on youtube.

Isn't that like getting salsa from New Your City

Try hitting the Volvo forums if you're trying to learn about Volvos.
- - - - > google "Volvo forums"
Youtube is wonderful to see how something is done but the basic knowledge you're looking for is going to be in the forums.

19T is the big turbo for a Volvo. It's isn't a real big one as it did come stock on some and there are one or two bigger ones that also came stock. Without properly reprogramming the engine management computer the 19 can easily damage your engine.
You likely have a 15T with the dreaded conical outlet that was only used on the 94-95. There are no easy, cheap good quality downpipes for this outlet that I've found or that anyone has spoken of. I have one of those crappy things under my hood but luckily I finally picked up an angle flange exhaust housing and have a 18T coming my way.

In the picture is the conical, straight and angled flange housings.

The exhaust, if stock is metric and you wouldn't be able to just pop on a 2", 2 1/4" or 2 1/2' magnaflow, glasspack or turbo muffler without using some ability and smarts. You need to slide under there and measure.

You don't sound like you have a lot of money to spend so the idea of a blow off valve is pretty counter productive. If you have a heavily built engine you need to bleed off that pressure immediately as you're running at the upper limit of your engines ability to hold itself together. For most of us just trying to get some extra kick and well under 400HP a blow off valve is about as useful as a fake plastic hood scoop held on by two sided tape. (IMHO)

When you talk about doing that tune up you also need to look up "PCV" valve on our engines. The PCV kit runs about $110 Yup, didn't misplace a decimal and I'm not drunk. Check to see when the timing belt and PCV also called a flame trap were last done as you might need to do them ASAP if they haven't been done yet.
Check it out on IPDUSA .com or FCPGROTON .com You'll be using those sites in the future.

If you feel you're getting a lot of crap it's because you're coming in at a really basic level asking things most of us think you should have been born with. What would help make you look better is if you lurked and read more and asked fewer questions (at one time). Pick something, read, ask, read some more and ask again if you're still not clear. You could also spread the questions around, couple here, couple on volvospeed, a couple ......
That or just get thick skin and expect some crap.

Attached Thumbnails need crash course on 850 turbo-turbo-outlet-flanges.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-30-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:16 PM

Ok so what are you doing?? What do you want to know ask one question and we will answer. Once you have enough info and you understand then move on to the next question. There is alot of info that you NEED..... But asking for it all at once is rediculous. As I stated ask one question get all the opinions and solutions then when you understand ask another one. Everyone here is willing to help but you need to organize what you want and actually take in the info given! I had to do a lot of research when I bought my car and all the info was on these sites and if I didn't understand I asked and got all the info needed!

Old 01-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

@ NitroSport, I have a question... Did you get/purchase the wagon?

Old 01-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
@ NitroSport, I have a question... Did you get/purchase the wagon?

Hell of a good question, all this and his deal might have fallen through !! That or we gave him a bad enough time he doesn't want it now

Old 01-31-2012, 09:05 AM

95% sure I will be driving the car home this saturday!

I get what you guys are saying about to many questions in 1 post. I should know better. I'm on a radio control forum and hate it when newbs do that...then I come on here and do the same thing

Im gonna look up the PVC stuff.

I believe the owner said the timing belt, as well as some brake work was done recently.

I know some of my questions are hard to answer...because I dont know what I really want yet. In truth, I need to keep this car a simple driver...one that wont wake up the neighbors every time I start it up. But in my heart I so want mod a car. I havent had a project car in years!

I do plan on doing the MBC, but will wait till I have done the tuneup stuff you guys have mentioned. I cannont affort to ruin this engine.

I was looking on ebay and found ads where you can have custom decals made...so I think ill get one for the back window that says "Quick Brick" made

Im pretty pumped about the car. I have owned over 20 cars (im only 29!) and this volvo will be the highest HP car for me yet.

My wifes (our) car is a 06' scion XB. I love the car for many reasons...but a quick car it is not. only 103 hp and thats only when you mash the throttle and the cams change, I swear it feels like turbo lag!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nitrosport

Im gonna look up the PVC stuff.
Again, back to the first reply....Stage 0. Give the car a nice tune up.

Then ask your upgrade questions. I still stand by remapping the ECU to get you more boost and get rid of the fuel cut off. Its just a wall that you can never get past until you do. There is so much more that you can do from there. It will drain your pocket book and put a smile on your face.

What I dont recommend is saying, 'I am going to do this and this and this and this...etc.' Plan it out. Ask smart questions like 'What would you recommend for my next step' or 'What will get the most out of my engine with the least amount of money'. Get upgrades that make a difference now and support the future. If you go with a MBC thats fine, its a cheap upgrade that yields good results...up to 14psi then your done. Remap your ECU and get rid of the fuel cut off lets you take it up higher and gets rid of that annoying shut off.

The first upgrade I did on my wagon was swaybars. WOW it was amazing the difference just pulling out of the driveway. Its an upgrade that I can use now and supported the H&R springs and Bilstein shocks later.

Be smart with your upgrades. Example, if your going to change your muffler think of what size (diameter) exhaust you plan on having in the future, that will save you from having to purchase a different muffler later. I like the sound of the IPD, OBX and Remus exhaust but what I didnt like is the loudness and drone that accompany them. To help with that, I have been through 7 mufflers to get the right tone without drone. I swear by the DynomaxVT muffler (look it up, its a brilliant idea) in the suitcase area with a straight through a Magnaflow round at the tip. Silent on the freeway but full on roar when on it. This sound but silent until required: Video

As for the sticker. Be respectful of the car, it is not a Ricer. Make us proud, don't embarrass us. Any sign shop can make that sticker for you relatively cheap.

Last edited by boxpin; 01-31-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Another way to make it sound loud without spending a lot of money is take a screw driver and slam a hole in the muffler or something. It will be pretty loud then.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by boxpin
As for the sticker. Be respectful of the car, it is not a Ricer. Make us proud, don't embarrass us.
Soooooo what are you trying to say LMAO...
Name:  IMAG0010-1.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  94.8 KB

Old 01-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Matt, you are streatching to meet what Gilber had a while back.

Quick Reply: need crash course on 850 turbo