Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help

I was driving today and went to make a pass and the car performed as usual, after that I noticed the power don't seem to be there. So on my way home under normal driving it's fine the problem is when I have to get on it, the tach goes and the boost gauge goes, I can feel the motor pulling but can't feel the boost. I looked to see if a hose had come off or a leak of some kind. I can't seem to find anything other than the hoses are really soft. I just need to know if there could be something with the motor or does it sound like it's after the turbo. It still sound good and no smoke at all, this motor has only been in the car for about 3000 mile + or -.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blazen244
the problem is when I have to get on it
- Accelerate?

the tach goes and the boost gauge goes
- What do you mean with "goes"?

other than the hoses are really soft
- Which hoses?

I just need to know if there could be something with the motor or does it sound like it's after the turbo.
-- Is this a question or statement?

Old 03-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Default turbo problem

The motor sounds ok mate, it seems to me that the software in the ecu is not creating the response when load is needed. one of my 850's did the same and it was a coil pack breaking down.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:54 PM

I didn't know that 850s had coil-over-plugs. I would think that on a new motor plugs, wires and distr would be the first things to be replaced....

What country are you in?

Old 03-12-2011, 02:13 PM

Well when I accelerate the tach will rev up with the motor and the boost gauge moves like it's boosting but I don't feel the boost kick in like it had before today. The motor sounds strong, the boost just don't.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:21 PM

Year? miles? Did you service the turbo when you put in the new motor? Any slippage on the transmission?

Old 03-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vac line pop off? Intercooler pipes spongy? Rips in intercooler pipes aren't obvious. Stage 0?

Honestly, if you haven't done a stage 0 in a long time, I wouldn't asking any questions until that is done, because that will eliminate lots of possible weak points in your system and minimize you running around trying to find a solution. Most of the time, people having "boost problems" or the car isn't pulling like it used to, is because of neglect and just routine maintenance not being done.

New plugs, cap, rotor, silicone vac lines, silicone intercooler hoses, new plug wires, new intake filter. I would do that, then report back with how it is. Because to me, it sounds like you either have a vac leak or your car just isn't tuned up.

hoses being really soft sounds like they're saturated with oil with just leads to them deteriorating.

Last edited by gilber33; 03-12-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:44 PM

The new used motor had 98000 miles on it and the turbo came with the motor. The hoses are soft I can squeeze them together really easy. When it goes into passing gear it feels like the boost fades hard. Transmission don't feel like its slipping it pull in every gear. Just looking a feeling the hoses could use a changing.

Sorry for any misspelling Sent from my phone.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by gilber33

new plugs, cap, rotor, silicone vac lines, silicone intercooler hoses, new plug wires, new intake filter. I would do that, then report back with how it is. Because to me, it sounds like you either have a vac leak or your car just isn't tuned up.
the new used motor had 98000 miles on it and the turbo came with the motor. The hoses are soft i can squeeze them together really easy. When it goes into passing gear it feels like the boost fades hard. Transmission don't feel like its slipping it pull in every gear. Just looking a feeling the hoses could use a changing.
stage 0.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:34 PM

Since this problem arose today, I would check for ruptured Intercooler hoses. But whatever the case is -- if not done already, go thru Stage 0, like Gilber33 said.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:52 PM

I pulled off all the hoses from the turbo to the pipe that goes over the motor to the hose that connects that to the lower inter cooler hose. Then the upper inter cooler hose to the throttle body hose, I couldn't find any cracks or anything they are soft though I can squeeze then with two fingers. I'm lost now, could there be cracks that I can't see? or could the turbo housing be cracked?

Last edited by blazen244; 03-12-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:13 PM

Replace them! Seriously, chances are, you won't find a huge tear, they wear thin and when they are under pressure is when the tears are visible. Also replace all of the vac lines. Replace all of the vac elbows too, and if the intercooler hoses are as sloppy as you said before, they need to be replaced anyways.

And replace your plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, and CORRECTLY gap your plugs when you put them in. If those items are old/worn and plugs that aren't gapped correctly can cause hesitant acceleration, exactly like how you're explaining. Ask me how I know.

Your problems sound very typical of an engine that is not tuned up. I don't get it, are you just ignoring that fact? From the sounds of it, your engine hasn't gotten a tune up as long as you can remember, because otherwise, you would have said "I just put in new plugs, cap, rotor and wires 15k miles ago". And you didn't.

When you do a full tune up, report back if you're still having that problem, because I bet you won't be.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:13 PM

Get the car on a lift, run it and see if anything is blowing / whistling... Is the CEL on? Get the orders out for Stage 0 too.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:32 PM

Replace them! Seriously, chances are, you won't find a huge tear, they wear thin and when they are under pressure is when the tears are visible. Also replace all of the vac lines. Replace all of the vac elbows too, and if the intercooler hoses are as sloppy as you said before, they need to be replaced anyways.

And replace your plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, and CORRECTLY gap your plugs when you put them in. If those items are old/worn and plugs that aren't gapped correctly can cause hesitant acceleration, exactly like how you're explaining. Ask me how I know.

Your problems sound very typical of an engine that is not tuned up. I don't get it, are you just ignoring that fact? From the sounds of it, your engine hasn't gotten a tune up as long as you can remember, because otherwise, you would have said "I just put in new plugs, cap, rotor and wires 15k miles ago". And you didn't.

When you do a full tune up, report back if you're still having that problem, because I bet you won't be.
I was good up until the plugs rotor and cap which all have been replaced when the motor was done just no new hoses, I appreciate the guys that have advice without being a DICK about it you didn't have to click my thread, I thank you for your advice as I am in a pinch but keep your ******* attitude to yourself. Oh yeah I never said anything about a hesitation learn to read, I said normal driving is fine just under is when the issue comes up hard boost

Last edited by blazen244; 03-12-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Henry10
Get the car on a lift, run it and see if anything is blowing / whistling... Is the CEL on? Get the orders out for Stage 0 too.

Will do, I just ordered new silicon hoses from FCP Groton. Will get them on there ASAP

Old 03-12-2011, 05:40 PM

I was good up until the plugs rotor and cap which all have been replaced when the motor was done just no new hoses, I appreciate the guys that have advice without being a DICK about it you didn't have to click my thread, I thank you for your advice as I am in a pinch but keep your ******* attitude to yourself. Oh yeah I never said anything about a hesitation learn to read, I said normal driving is fine just under is when the issue comes up hard boost
I'm not being a dick, but you're disregarding the post which are completely legitimate. And yes, that is called a hesitation. When you go for a hard acceleration, it hesitates and doesn't take off like it should. I've been there, and what it was was plugs that were not gapped correctly. I would push down on the accelerator, be good, hit boost, and all of a sudden the car would just stop accelerating. Also, had the same problem with a vac line that had popped off once. And another time when I had blown an intercooler hose, and could not find it, until I removed it. Wouldn't boost past 5 PSI. Just trying to help. Easy on the getting defensive. I'm not some guy just tossing out random ideas.

If your cap/rotor/plugs were replaced, wouldn't it have made sense to say, those were done just a little bit ago so we could have moved on to other possibilities that would have been causing your issues?

Old 03-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Blazen: calm down. Gilber33 is trying to help you. He knows the urgency or gravity of the matter better.

The stock Boost gauge is not very accurate sometimes. So maybe a boost gauge (if you don't have one already) would be helpful, when of course budget allows (if you are in a financial pinch)....

Old 03-12-2011, 05:48 PM

I'm not being a dick, but you're disregarding the post which are completely legitimate. And yes, that is called a hesitation. When you go for a hard acceleration, it hesitates and doesn't take off like it should. I've been there, and what it was was plugs that were not gapped correctly. I would push down on the accelerator, be good, hit boost, and all of a sudden the car would just stop accelerating. Also, had the same problem with a vac line that had popped off once. And another time when I had blown an intercooler hose, and could not find it, until I removed it. Wouldn't boost past 5 PSI. Just trying to help. Easy on the getting defensive. I'm not some guy just tossing out random ideas.

If your cap/rotor/plugs were replaced, wouldn't it have made sense to say, those were done just a little bit ago so we could have moved on to other possibilities that would have been causing your issues?
Thanks for your help I just ordered new hoses I'll start there. I'll check the gaping on the plugs in the morning.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:51 PM

This advice should be for everybody looking for similar issues: hesitation, misfires, no-starts, or whatever. Inform the board Year, make, model, trim, status of Stage 0, etc. right off the batt so you can get better help.

And answer questions, short and to the point...

Old 03-12-2011, 05:52 PM

Thanks for your help I just ordered new hoses I'll start there. I'll check the gaping on the plugs in the morning.
Also, check the IAC hose. That is the hose I blew and the rip was completely hidden and only visible once I removed it. When I tore that hose, nothing changed besides the fact that I couldn't boost past 5psi.

Quick Reply: Need help