Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Need your help guys...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your help guys...

I have a 1993 Volvo 850GLT and the A/C just went out, which blows, because it's hot as hell here in TN....

At any rate, my local repair shop tells me that i need a new climate control unit and two temp units. All of this totals about $2200. The big cost here is the climate control head, of which they're charging me almost $1100.
I've found these online for about half that, and on ebay for even cheaper. Are these units reliable? How prone to breakage are these units? Worth buying on ebay? Do you guys recomend an online parts dealer?

Thanks much for your input!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Default RE: Need your help guys...

great, thanks for the help!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:48 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Greetings,

As to the A/C head, do you have Automatic (Electronic, often referred to as ECC) climate control, or is it manual? If you have the ECC, I would check for codes first.

>At any rate, my local repair shop tells me that i need a new climate control unit and two temp units.
I'm not sure as to what they mean by "two temp units". I have a feeling that they are trying to rip you off.

Generally speaking, usedA/C heads on eBay or other on-line vendors seem to be all right, some even get them from junkyards. It would be best if you can find one with a few months warranty.

Most likely your system has run out of R134a (refrigerant-freon-HFC). I would buy a recharge kit and see if the system holds pressure after a recharge. The evaporator on 850s are guaranteed to fail after years, and if there is a leak that's usually the most suspected area to look into. Another suspect is the compressor, whose shim thickness may not be correct.

It is absolutely worthless to spend $1,000 for an A/C head. I believe other members would agree on this.

Anyway, try recharge kit and see what it does. Be sure to read the instructions and wear eye protection when you recharge, and watch out for the serpentine accessory drive belt.

Will wait for your reply.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/A77BB3C04F214F4DABFF98C9B24FB7E7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-22-2007, 11:11 PM

My A/C just went out as well and I found out it was the ECC unit (climate control). I assume you have anautomatic climate controlbecause your mechanic says you need temp units which are for the Autoposition. I boughtan ECConline for $100-still waiting for shipment. But $1100 is ridiculous for a new one. My dealer quoted me at $800. It is a very easy install. Just 3 plugs to conect and your done. Hope everything works out for you.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:31 AM

How do they know its the ECC that went bad?

The evaporator has been known to be the major trouble issue for the a/c system. ECC failure is relatively rare.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:01 AM

Hi,
I would go with one off Ebay. Tech had mentioned in a thread Yert posted that the part number does not have to be exact. There are like 4 or 5 different part numbers. As for the temperature sensor, I would have to guess they are the ones in the windshield pillar or somewhere along there. I think there is one on each side. Seems like I read that most of the time they just get gunked up with lint and dirt and can be cleaned but I cannot say that for certain.

They are above the front doors in the headliner according to Tech.

The temp. sensors are located above the front doors inside in the Headliner. Just below the Grab handles.

https://volvoforums.com/m_39710/tm.htm

Found this guide on Volvospeed. I would check out B1 that stores codes for climate control and make sure the shop is seeing those codes.

Below is how to check them.

One of the best tools that you can buy is the "Pocket Data Booklet", TP 0302207, this 3 by 5 inch book contains all the codes plus all the various specifications, torque specs, it's just loaded with technical data that can be useful for maintaining your vehicle. 1-800-25-VOLVO, last listed price $15.95. To start, the Ignition key must be in position II, engine not running. Locate the two diagnostic sockets just inboard of the washer fill cap. The "A" connector (shown above) has a jumper that is stored in the lid of the "A" diagnostic connector. The jumper is used for both diagnostic connectors. Listed below is the information retrievable from the various connections.

A1 Transmission
B1 Climate Control
A2 Fuel System
B2 Cruise Control
A3 ABS
B5 SRS
A5 TCU (Transmission Control)
B6 Power Seat
A6 Ignition System
A7 Combined Instrument

Normally "Check Engine Light" information will be found in A2. Put the jumper into A2 and push the black button for one second. Count the red LED light as it blinks back information, blink, blink, pause, blink, blink, blink, pause, blink, blink, is an example of the response you would receive. 2-3-2 would be the code retrieved, now push the button again for one second, again count the blinks, keep checking for codes until one of them repeats, this means you have read all the codes. Now to clear the codes, push and hold the button for 6-7 seconds, release and as soon as the LED comes on push and hold the button for another 6-7 seconds. Now push the button for one second and read the codes again, you should get 1-1-1 (no faults). You Must Read All Codes before Clearing. Turn the ignition off and then start the car, the check engine light should be out. It is always a good idea to check for codes, clear them and then drive the vehicle to see if they return before replacing parts. The transmission can ask the check engine light to be turned on, so if you try clearing A2 codes and they wont go away try reading the transmission (A1), clear them , and then go back to A2.

Evap is pretty common on these. Are the AC and RECIR lights flashing on the dash there?

Let us know what you find.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:05 AM

https://volvoforums.com/photo_view.asp?file=2;52329

That should be a jpeg image of the codes for the climate control system.