Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New '96 850 - Needs Love

Old 07-15-2016, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '96 850 - Needs Love

Hi Everyone,

Bought a 1996 850 N/A, AT Base a few days ago for $900. Was the sellers first car and in need of some love.

• 208,xxx Miles
  • ABS Light (Module from midwest-abs.com in the future)
  • Speedometer & Odometer are dead. (ABS Module and/or Gear)
  • SRS Light ($125 Dealership to Diagnose)
  • Check Engine Light (Wrote down OBD code, lost paper, whatever code the gas cap being loose may cause...) Replaced Gas Cap, same code.
  • Slow Crank on Starting Car but Always Starts (Just disconnected glovebox light switch as glovebox door is beat and pops open.)
  • Battery Test - 12.28V/390CCA - 660CCA Rated - 127 Degrees F
  • Audio Issues - Front 2 Dash Speakers play 90% of the sound but at very low volume even with the aftermarket head unit pinned. Rear 2 Deck Speakers play but VERY low volume even max at the head unit. Stereo settings have no effect. Haven't pulled head unit yet.
  • Sometimes hard shifts but nearly always when selecting reverse.
  • Pulled Airbox Pre-Heat Hose off. Haven't gutted and capped the airbox yet.
  • Horn Doesn't Work
  • Entire Dash was put back together badly.

$1,600 of Work done at Volvo Dealership 2 Years Ago:

PCV System
Front Struts & Upper Mounts
Both Inner Tie Rods & Ball Joints
Alignment

Drives well given the price and mileage.

Just disconnected the glove-box light switch before writing this. Went to the car just now and it wont start. lol There's a clicking coming from the area of the shifter when cranking. Going to try jumping it when my buddy gets here.

• There are a few cracked up rubber elbow hoses around the engine. (See Photos)

• There is an electrical connector that's not connected to anything hanging near the front driver side engine bay. (See Photos, No idea what it's for.)

• Rubber hose with a screw driven into the end and disconnected (See Photos, No idea what it's for.)

• Otherwise going to start working on building it back up as it's my only car.

Any ideas/recommendations/information that you want to share are greatly appreciated. Had an '86 740 Turbo Brick and (2) 240 Wagons before. familiar with IPD,FCP Groton etc. and some of the common problems. Been reading many posts.

Cheers guys and am hyped to have a Volvo again!

Attached Thumbnails New '96 850 - Needs Love-0715161954.jpg   New '96 850 - Needs Love-0715161945.jpg   New '96 850 - Needs Love-0715161953.jpg   New '96 850 - Needs Love-0714161914a.jpg   New '96 850 - Needs Love-0714161915b.jpg  

New '96 850 - Needs Love-0714161916a.jpg   New '96 850 - Needs Love-0714161918c.jpg   New '96 850 - Needs Love-0714161923b.jpg  
Old 07-15-2016, 08:35 PM

Welcome aboard

Pics 4, 5, and 7 are all related to your headlight wipers (or lack thereof).

As for the horn issue, it could be something simple as a fuse, or it could be a wiring/ground issue. I have an extra set of factory horns laying around here somewhere that you are welcome to for cost of shipping if interested (provided I can find them). I replaced mine with a set of Hella Supertones and don't need them...

The same thing could be said for your slow starting issue. It seems these cars have some issues after years with their positive battery cable, which causes starting issues. I'd start by removing the cable from the battery and cleaning the terminals with a wire brush, then reseating it to see if that makes any difference.

As for the hard shifting, I'd suggest a drain and fill on the transmission using good quality fluid. I highly recommend not power flushing, especially given the miles and the unknown condition of the transmission internals (whether or not its been flushed in the past, etc). Check the condition of your fluid. If it looks/smells burnt, black/brown/light pink, etc change it. It should be dark red.

Your SRS light is probably related to your ABS light. Is your TRACS light on also? Dollars to donuts its all related to the ABS module. if you are handy with a soldering iron, you MAY be able to repair your module yourself (I did it on my 97 by following the guide posted HERE ). Its not the most enjoyable job, and my repair ended up with about half a tube of RTV around the edge of the box upon reassembly, but its a pretty easy job. Another option is to pull one from the junkyard and swap it in...

Speedo/Odo are most likely related to worn teeth on the gears in the cluster. Well documented fix HERE

As for the audio related issues, this thread HERE may shed some light on your problem. Volvo uses an odd wiring scheme for the speakers, and if they were replaced by speakers with a different ohm rating, using factory wiring, when the head unit was replaced, it could be causing problems with the volume.

A couple great resources I've found to round out the list:

RSPI's youtube channel

Volvotips.com

Matthews Volvo Site

eEuroParts.com

And of course, RockAuto.com

Overall she seems like she's a good find for the price. Although those $900 cars tend to bite ya in the wallet once ya dig into them more (ask me how I know LOL). With a bit of maintenance and catch up, she should last ya for many years to come :thumbup:

Hope this helps ya out a bit, and if ya have any questions feel free to ask. There's plenty of us here to help out. Good luck with everything, and once again welcome to the forum

Old 07-15-2016, 09:16 PM

QUICK NOTE: GUYS! There's a SICK 780 Bertone Turbo for sale here in Pinellas County 1989 Volvo 780 Bertone Turbo !!!! Would love to buy but can't afford right now.

Thank you for the warm welcome 97-850Wagen. My father was going through a light in 2008 and got hit head on at an offset by a guy running a red light in a small pickup truck. He was in my Mother's '92 240 Wagon. Was close by when he called and rolled on-scene just after it happened.

The entire front end was smashed back to the firewall it seemed. He was NOT wearing a seatbelt. Pulled up and other than being VERY dazed he was fine. Airbag deployed and aside from the powder covering his face, he walked away sore. He told me that he remembered lifting up and forward just before the airbag smacked him in the face, catching him.

Funny thing is, he was coming back with groceries. Went in the back seat and the dozen eggs, I kid you not, did not even break. I've SWORN by Volvo since seeing that.

Just jumped the car and it started. http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=13555 had one member who posted that leaving the glovebox light attached but without the bulb drew less than disconnecting it. Not sure if the switch is open or closed when depressed.

Drove for 30 min and the car started very slowly again after being shut down. Just plugged the switch back in behind the glovebox.

For the SRS light, going to order a module from midwest-abs.com for $89 shipped and send him the old one. Also looking at the horn contact kit from IPD.

The odometer gear/light kit from IPD is also on the list. Strange thing is, the speedometer started working while I was just driving just now then died again.

Thank you for the info on the battery cable, going to clean both tomorrow. And, THANK YOU for the link to the audio wiring issues. Wanted to G-Ride Clearwater Beach so bad today (I live in Pinellas County, FL), but no sounds. lol

Checked the horn fuse, looks okay, but going to buy a fist-full of fuses from IPD and replace everything.

MAN I miss that '86 740 Turbo Wagon! This 850 is an interim car for transportation that I plan to keep running well until I'm able to buy a proper XC70 or 740/940 Turbo Wagon. VOLVO FTW~! (I know, speaks volumes of my maturity level right lol)

Old 07-15-2016, 10:20 PM

LOL, no problem bud Good call on the horn contact kit, I forgot about that one being a common issue (haven't run into it yet myself). I think there is a relay for the horn too, you may want to check that as well...

Haven't experienced the glove box light issue, although now that I read that thread and think about it, my fuse 15 was blown when I bought the car...I replaced it but haven't had any issues with the battery that were related (I've had to wiggle the + side cable a few times but that brought things back to life immediately)...'

For the fuses, the evil corporate empire (Wal Mart) has the led ones you can get in a giant pack for about $15-$20 (they light up an LED when they blow). If I remember correctly they come in packs of 30 (black and yellow packaging) with all the major amp ratings. My 10 amp ones for 10 of them ran me about $5 IIRC. Makes diagnosing a lot easier, and its a bit cheaper/quicker than getting them shipped in.

I know how ya feel, these cars are tanks. My 97 N/A 2.4 855 is still running to this day (with a buddy of mine) and has well over 300k on it. Made a cross country trip from PA to Oregon via the scenic route (across the southwest and up the west coast). The one I'm currently driving (95 850T wagon) made its way cross country from PA to Oregon and back. I'd say they've both proven their worth

There's a pretty good aftermarket for these cars...And for a euro make they are quite easy to work on in my experience...with the right parts they can be a lot of fun and still be very reliable and durable. There's plenty of these 850's I've seen in the junkyard with over 300k miles on the odometer (and given their propensity for eating odometer gears I suspect even higher miles on said vehicles)...

My step dad's brother used to swear by Volvo's and the I5 engine for years before he passed away. Always used to say if you can find one with the 5 cyl in it, you'll have it for life. Boy was he right. He bought one from the scrapyard he worked at for $500, put another $500 into it, drove it for about 6-7 years with zero problems...Until he got t boned and the insurance company totaled it...Plus side though? He had full coverage and ended up making out with about $3500 more than what he paid originally...

I'll be making a trip to Harrys U Pull It in Hazelton PA and Pennsburg PA next weekend, if you are looking for anything in particular that you can't find, let me know and I can pull it and ship for actual cost. Last I was there they had 5-6 850's that were pretty much untouched (4 sedans and 2 wagons at Pennsburg, and about 20 at Hazelton).

Old 07-15-2016, 10:29 PM

One more thing to consider adding to your list of things for maintenance is your timing belt and water pump. If you are handy and comfortable doing the job yourself its not a bad idea and relatively cheap/easy (relatively...its well documented for the DIY). However if you are uncomfortable working on the timing of an interference engine (like me), expect to pay for about 5-6 hours labor plus parts (depending on your mechanic). It can be anywhere from $500 to $1200 to have one replaced in a shop.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:11 PM

Tools are the issue now. Used to have a nice Craftsman box and kit, but sold it to the aforementioned father a while back. Timing Belt/Water Pump is crucial and a priority.

Will check out the horn relay. Walmart fuses are solid recommendation but "Flosser" is so cool.

Learning more about the I5 and the 850/S70. Must say, for FWD, they're really cool. This 850 has some pickup on the "Sport" mode, winding out. Imagine the Turbo model at 50+ horsepower greater stock is a blast.

Insurance.... hahaha. Had 3 people rear end me, and 1 guy t-bone me over the years. I've started litigating my own damages and have had the best results that way. I write raps on the side, got a little bit about Insurance. Let me know if you're interested. lol

Oh man, thank you for the offer on the parts. If you find an entire dash or quality Tan front seats of leather I would be happy to work with you. You'd have to let me pay for your time + absolute cost atleast. Let me know what you find before you pull it and we'll talk.

I'm originally from California. If you enjoyed that west coast trip, check out Florida some time. It's a little bit like the wild west here... And I kinda like it...

Old 07-16-2016, 12:38 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like a fun project! Per your comment above, the turbo to me is pretty fast. You can get faster cars, but to me that is about all the front-wheel-drive horsepower that I want.

Junkyards will be full of whatever you need these days, so that is a plus. Interior stuff may be better shape if you find it farther north, ha ha.

My advice, if you're going to keep this car, get a means to read OBDII engine data (not codes) and enjoy that. Lots of guys use a scan gauge, I don't have one, but that is probably good. There is a great OBDII app for the android, but I am a iPhone guy, so I don't use that either.

Your electrical problem of course is one of the simpler ones. But somehow people still hate working on them. Sounds like the battery was not very good to begin with. You could invest in a battery charger, then go outside tonight when it's dark and see if you see any lights on.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:15 PM

Hi firebirdparts,

Torque steer is always fun, but some of these FWD cars are just monstrous with great times. Still personally prefer RWD.

Found that the positive cable being in bad shape will cause drain/starting issues. This one is corroded and broken. Just got back from Harbor Freight with some cheap tools and terminals. After the rain clears up going to tackle it. This thread http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=61747 is a great DIY Walkthrough.

Good call on the OBDII app. Running Debian Linux so looking for a connector/software with the laptop. Phone looks to work just as well.

The battery doesn't completely die, just wont crank the starter. Oh, and the horn plugs are disconnected and hanging. Maybe the guy was trying to track down parasitic drain and started unplugging accessories...

Will post the results of the terminal repair and if a new battery is also required.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:11 AM

I used a hacksaw to open up the ABS module box and resolder all joints and saved myself $200.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:29 AM

Also, about your screw-plugged hose, I just wanted to mention that the sticker on the bottom of the hood is not 100% complete, but it'll be the most accurate thing you'll find for that particular car. They vary.

It is possible to resolve lost hoses on the internet but not easy. I have a 96 N/A parts car that runs, so I should probably confirm that vacuum hose you pictured. Before I do that, I think that may have been running to the purge solenoid. If the purge system is disconnected, then that'll give you that "code that means you need a new gas cap."

Old 07-18-2016, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Last time I needed an ABS box, I found a local yard who sold me the complete unit for $60...

Old 07-19-2016, 05:12 PM

Hey guys,

Posting late but here are the results of the positive terminal repair and new battery. Also replaced every fuse in the fusebox after dousing it with CRC QD Electrical Cleaner.

The trunk light's bulb was also burnt out and the switch in the on position. Pulled the cover and confirmed that the contacts are apart and in the off position.

Been starting and running fine but time will tell. Battery was $120. The wire jumble (6 or so wires feeding into a single connector) from the positive terminal is taped up and pulling the shroud back shows 1 of the wires having been joined with heat shrink around it. It appears that it feeds to the fuse box...

The negative terminal also looks to be in bad shape but will bo too short when cut that replacing the entire negative cable looks to be the most complete solution.

Will also check out the purge system; thanks for the tip. By the way, found the "code that means you need a new gas cap lol" It was P0301 EVAP. It's been staying off. Maybe the battery disconnected for so long plus the new gas cap reset and fixed things.

On the ABS Module, the speedometer has been sporadically working with the ABS light going off. Then, it will light back up and the speedometer will die. Corroded connections? Could just be on it's way out...

Attached Thumbnails New '96 850 - Needs Love-0719161657c.jpg   New '96 850 - Needs Love-0719161658.jpg   New '96 850 - Needs Love-0719161657d.jpg   New '96 850 - Needs Love-0719161657b.jpg  
Old 07-21-2016, 11:57 AM

If you have a SRS light and the horn does not work you need to check the clock spring.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:21 PM

Speedo not working can be the ABS module. The $89 offer from Midwest ABS is hard to beat as it comes with a lifetime warranty. I do component level rework on coin op equipment PCBs and have been meaning to grab a used ABS module to open up and see how difficult it is to repair them. I imagine the hardest part will be getting the cover off cleanly so it can be resealed and not look like utter crap when you are done.

I got my first one from Midwest ABS, and it looks like factory - no cut marks, no stray sealant, clean , etc.

Fuses - easily tested with a multimeter. Good or bad. No in between. Also easily checked when removed by holding them up to the light. Do you see the filament? Yes? Then it's good. My scrap yards around me sometimes sell grab bags of fuses that I'm guessing they pull from some cars before they go to the crusher. I always take a 5 gallon bucket with me, and any hardware I have from pulling a part goes in the bucket. While they have prices for hardware, fasteners, etc they have always been willing to give them to me if I tell them they are from a part I am purchasing. I once put the fuses from 2 850s in the yard in the bucket, and the lady told me I could just have them.

Here's a neat trick to find your parasite: if you have a multimeter that measures amperage - set it to read amperage, and unhook your batteries ground cable. Put the meter between the battery ground post and the ground cable. Next, pull the fuses 1 at a time til the load goes down where it belongs.

Once you figure out which fuse took the load away, you just need to check the individual devices that fuse protects. So, if you have a fuse that does the glove box light and the horn, for example, and you pull it and the load goes away, it's either the glove box light or the horn.

Enjoy your 850, I enjoy both of mine greatly.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

did you solve the horn issue? Not uncommon for the contacts to break at the wheel. Easy fix for $30 via Ebay with pics/vids online. Usually the problem of bad contacts leaves the horn on, so somebody could have disconnected the connectors into the horns - the horn fuse is shared with the wipers so it'd be easy to figure out if that is bad... To check the button contacts, disconnect the battery, unscrew from the back of the steering wheel (you need to have the wheel unlocked so you can turn to access ). If you see little plastic bits under the pad, those are the remains of broken button switch tabs...

Old 07-26-2016, 04:51 PM

Sorry guys, been slacking on updating the thread. Bought a 1989 780 Bertone Turbo yesterday so the 850 may have to go when the 780 gets to running. Here's the thread - https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...12/#post435090

eddie62 - thank you for the info; will check the clock spring when taking it into the dealership for the SRS light.

johnwartr - thanks man, going to order the module from them next week. Glad to hear that their workmanship is solid. The fuses are fine except for 2 empty slots that have no corresponding amperage rating for a fuse. Will post a pic. Thanks also for the parasitic drain test info. This is with the car off, right?

mt6127 - haven't fixed the horn yet; not even plugging it in to check. lol Been slacking. Saw that IPD has a horn contact kit. Will buy if that's the issue when opening up the steering wheel. Thank you for the info.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:12 AM

Yes, leave the car off while doing the drain test.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:13 PM

Got some shots of my 850 in this video for the 780 if anyone's interested.

The second on was just for fun.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:04 PM

Hey Guys,

In the process of parting the 780 to put money into the 850. Just scheduled an interview today for a pizza delivery job with one of the big chains. Looks like $500 give or take will get it to solid running condition. Will post parts list plan.

Last night and today, twice, when unlocking the driver door from the outside the anti-theft system activated, flashing the hazards and killing the battery. Each time getting back out and locking the door by key resets it. Mabe THATS why the guy had the horns disconnected!

Old 07-30-2016, 12:52 PM

Mine have always just worked, so I have never done the first thing to fix one. I don't like central locking on the 850. It's way too complex in my opinion, so I don't even want to think about the anti-theft. Immobilizer is another step worse than that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New '96 850 - Needs Love