Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New guy with a new (to me) 850 GLT

Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with a new (to me) 850 GLT

Hello everyone, I just recently purchased a 93 Volvo 850 GLT.
I'm completly new to the whole Volvo thing, Im into diesel trucks and Harley Davidsons and NEVER concidered myself in a 4 door Volvo.
I commute 150 miles each day back and forth to work so I needed a "beater" that gets reasonable gas mileage and was CHEAP.
Well I found my 850 on Craigslist for $1400 Maryland inspected.
For those not from Maryland, inspection is a HUGE **** ordeal and usually you will not find anything inspected for under $3500.
I bought the car from the original owners who had recently moved here from Ilinoise with only 136,000 miles on the clock. (not bad for a 93)
The original red paint is in good shape that cleaned up real well with a wax job. The charcoal leather interior is excellent as well for an 18 year old car with NO rips or tears.
The car does have its share of 18 year old car blues with some minor electrical gremlins, sagging drivers door, malfunctioning trunk lock that I just disconnected the linkage to the lock and the famous (so I've heard) bad drivers side wiper arm.
All in all, I actually like the the car despite the fact that all my friendsand co workers make fun of my "yuppie" car. (remember this red Volvo is COMPLETLEY out of character for me)
So far the 850 is getting me 27.3 MPG (hand calculated) on 87 octane gas and could probably use a tune up as evidenced by original cap and wires. Maybe with 93 octane and a tune up I might see 30 MPG?
I have record of the timing belt having been changed every 50k with the last one having been done 2/05 at 101k at the Volvo dealer.
It looks like there was some type of service done in 2003 on the air bags because there is a sticker in the drivers side door jam about the air bags and has a 2003 date on it. Does anyone know what this could be about?

Anyway great site and I will be checking back so I can get to know this new Volvo!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Casket Man
Hello everyone, I just recently purchased a 93 Volvo 850 GLT.
I'm completly new to the whole Volvo thing, Im into diesel trucks and Harley Davidsons and NEVER concidered myself in a 4 door Volvo.
I commute 150 miles each day back and forth to work so I needed a "beater" that gets reasonable gas mileage and was CHEAP.
Well I found my 850 on Craigslist for $1400 Maryland inspected.
For those not from Maryland, inspection is a HUGE **** ordeal and usually you will not find anything inspected for under $3500.
I bought the car from the original owners who had recently moved here from Ilinoise with only 136,000 miles on the clock. (not bad for a 93)
The original red paint is in good shape that cleaned up real well with a wax job. The charcoal leather interior is excellent as well for an 18 year old car with NO rips or tears.
The car does have its share of 18 year old car blues with some minor electrical gremlins, sagging drivers door, malfunctioning trunk lock that I just disconnected the linkage to the lock and the famous (so I've heard) bad drivers side wiper arm.
All in all, I actually like the the car despite the fact that all my friendsand co workers make fun of my "yuppie" car. (remember this red Volvo is COMPLETLEY out of character for me)
So far the 850 is getting me 27.3 MPG (hand calculated) on 87 octane gas and could probably use a tune up as evidenced by original cap and wires. Maybe with 93 octane and a tune up I might see 30 MPG?
I have record of the timing belt having been changed every 50k with the last one having been done 2/05 at 101k at the Volvo dealer.
It looks like there was some type of service done in 2003 on the air bags because there is a sticker in the drivers side door jam about the air bags and has a 2003 date on it. Does anyone know what this could be about?

Anyway great site and I will be checking back so I can get to know this new Volvo!
You got lucky. It looks like the previous owner kept up with the service intervals. Airbags and seatbelt + tensioners need to be replaced by the dealer every 10 years. Evidently this was done.

These engines are designed to run optimally with premium gas, however many people run regular. You will hear both arguments. I personally run premium; regular for some reason makes it stink too much.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. If you are driving highway, you can see as high as 33 mpg. You may have to slow it down a tad, my car gets 31 @ 63 mph and 24 @ 70 mph. Toy with the speed and see what happens. Original wires, wow!!!