Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New light on dash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New light on dash?

Hello everyone,
I have just joined the site, have a question. I just bought this gorgeous 850 turbo wagon, B5234, love the car, but in the last couple of days a flashing forward arrow light has shown up on the dash. Seems to do this about 75 % of the time. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this is about? The manual suggests that there could be a fault in the gearbox.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New light on dash?

That is the traction arrow. It tells you whether your traction control system is on or off. Is your ABS light coming on also. The reason I ask is that the ABS module in these cars is guaranteed to fail. It's not a question of if it will fail but of when it will fail. Luckily it is an easy repair. Just remove (directions are on line) and send it to one of the places that repair/remanufacture. Only hard thing is that to get the module off you need an E6 Torx socket. I ended up getting mine from a MATCO tool guy.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The flashing arrow means codes in the transmission control module.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jks2

That is the traction arrow. It tells you whether your traction control system is on or off. Is your ABS light coming on also. The reason I ask is that the ABS module in these cars is guaranteed to fail. It's not a question of if it will fail but of when it will fail. Luckily it is an easy repair. Just remove (directions are on line) and send it to one of the places that repair/remanufacture. Only hard thing is that to get the module off you need an E6 Torx socket. I ended up getting mine from a MATCO tool guy.
Nope...

The traction control system has a light that says "TRACS OFF" when the traction control system is off and no light for when the traction control system is active. The orange arrow indicates that you aren't in drive or that there is a fult in the gearbox detected by the TCM (Transmission control module). Depending on the year of your car you can use the diagnostic port under the hood near the washer fluid fill point.

95 and older can use the diag port
95+ can use OBDII or self diag

ABS really only becomes a major issue on older model years for some reason.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:24 PM

Doh! Tech beat me....

[:@]

Old 12-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is in "limp mode".

Old 12-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: info2x

ORIGINAL: jks2

Nope...

The traction control system has a light that says "TRACS OFF" when the traction control system is off and no light for when the traction control system is active. The orange arrow indicates that you aren't in drive or that there is a fult in the gearbox detected by the TCM (Transmission control module). Depending on the year of your car you can use the diagnostic port under the hood near the washer fluid fill point.

95 and older can use the diag port
95+ can use OBDII or self diag

ABS really only becomes a major issue on older model years for some reason.

Actually it is more of a problem on the 1996-2004 cars.
The 1993-1995 cars have alot less problems.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:46 PM

My bad, that's what I meant. My 94 hasn't hasn't had any problems but my mom's 98 went out like clockwork.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Administrator

All of the new ones do I need to get the wifes rebuilt.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:19 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The '94 models also have both OBD-I and OBD-II.

The problem seems to be cracked soldering inside the black box due to heat & vibration. If one is skilled in electronic circuit diagnosis & soldering, it can be fixed by a home electrician. However, it may be easier just to send it to rebuilt & upgrade vendors such as Vicrocha.

Now, as to the flashing arrow, there is a code stored in the tranny control ECU and it has to be read & reset. Have a visit to a local AutoZone and have them do a free OBD-II diagnosis. If your 850 is '94/'95 model, make sure to tell them that your car DOES have OBD-II port in front of the shifter, right under the coin holder. If you don't tell this, they'll automatically reply by saying "we can't test cars made before 1996", which is not true.

I once had this and the problem was low tranny fluid, by as little as a half quart. Some other cases seem more serious, including tranny replacement. I would have the codes read & reset, check on the tranny fluid level & condition. The car is right now in the Limp-Home mode, as RedTurbo850 has already stated. It is more commonly known as emergency back-up mode. The original performance is lost but the car can be driven just enough to get home, or more precisely, to the nearest Volvo dealer[8D]. Try shifting manually, if you need to drive the car to a shop, AutoZone, etc... Don't let the dealer guys/gals make you think you need a tranny replacement until you verify the trouble codes & fluid conditions.

Good luck,

JPN

P.S: Tech, are you sure you need the wifes rebuilt?Let me know if you need "Suggested Scenario" in case if you decide to do rebuilt on wives.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:44 AM

Which 94s had OBD-II? Mine certainly doesn't. I thought the OBD-II roll out was 96 as required for NA engines and 95 for the turbos because turbos are special.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-24-2007, 06:03 AM
JPN

ORIGINAL: info2x

Which 94s had OBD-II? Mine certainly doesn't. I thought the OBD-II roll out was 96 as required for NA engines and 95 for the turbos because turbos are special.
[align=left][/align]
That is strange, I mean, the way Volvo installed OBD-II on certain 850s. Mine was '94, Turbo T5 with B5234T motor, and on the pax-side strut tower there was a label that stated "This vehicle is certified for OBD-II blah blah blah", and I often visited AutoZone to read/reset some codes. The scanner port is in front of the shifter, right beneath the coin holder. Did you check there (I assume you did)? Yes, officially OBD-II came out in '96, but some cars came with it a bit earlier. Perhaps Tech could tell us more accurate story on this.

BTW, Japanese market version of OBD-II is referred to as OBD-J. Not sure if they are compatible with generic OBD-II.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/B3B5869489D04DF5809D991A119CB7E6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-24-2007, 06:18 AM

Don't have a coin holder.

I'm going with since you had a turbo (I don't ) then OBD-II was installed.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-24-2007, 07:04 AM
JPN

JPN

Old 12-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Yes hers needs rebuild.
No scenero this time. (SORRY)