Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New Seat Skin Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Seat Skin Project

One of the craziest projects I've started but "no guts no glory" as they say.

I made the arm rest cover yesterday, it's not perfect, still better than what was there, so I'll do it again later.
New Seat Skin Project-100_1111.jpg

today I started the seat skins. Not the same color but very nice soft hide and I did contrasting top stitch for a more refined look. Top stitching is very difficult to get perfect and these seats are not easy. So this is the start.
New Seat Skin Project-100_1109.jpg
New Seat Skin Project-100_1110.jpg

I'll try to post throughout the project.

Last edited by Bobec; 05-17-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks awesome! You're the first one I've ever heard of doing something like this. What's it running you to do a seat?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Thanks, I'm the only one crazy enough. Notice the Gray skins in the back ground? Couldn't have done it without them, always referring back to them for guidance.

Really don't know yet the cost although it seems not too bad as long as you like to make $0.10/hr. Just joking. We'll see how it turns out and hopefully I can make them at a price that others can afford and we can continue to preserve our beautiful 850's.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:07 AM

hope it turns out well and you can tell us all how to do it! Good luck.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Get it down and you can sell them. I would buy.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:07 PM

looks great, put me on the list if it goes well.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:31 AM

What type of material you using? My first choice is the Brisa Ultraleather, but still looking for a nice smooth grain leather similar to OEM.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by mkc70
What type of material you using? My first choice is the Brisa Ultraleather, but still looking for a nice smooth grain leather similar to OEM.
I'm using a medium weight leather for the seating surfaces and vinyl of matching grain for the other surfaces. One challenge was finding matching colors and grain in vinyl and leather. Mine don't match exactly in color but they are very close and I think the contrast looks great.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bobec
I'm using a medium weight leather for the seating surfaces and vinyl of matching grain for the other surfaces. One challenge was finding matching colors and grain in vinyl and leather. Mine don't match exactly in color but they are very close and I think the contrast looks great.
Yeah, I find it more of a challenge on deciding on specific materials and colors. What brand and model sewing machine you using? Most interested in specifics since I am doing similar on my vehicle. Since you have the seats apart, have you thought about installing massagers or seat coolers?

Old 05-18-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by mkc70
Yeah, I find it more of a challenge on deciding on specific materials and colors. What brand and model sewing machine you using? Most interested in specifics since I am doing similar on my vehicle. Since you have the seats apart, have you thought about installing massagers or seat coolers?
I'm using a Pfaff 120 split bar, double needle with a 1/2 hp servo motor. Today wasn't fun, broke a needle and knocked the timing out. It's been awhile since I last re-timed a machine and this one is new to me so it took awhile. Almost have one front seat finished so might get it on the frame this weekend.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:06 AM

I'm using a Pfaff 120 split bar, double needle with a 1/2 hp servo motor. Today wasn't fun, broke a needle and knocked the timing out. It's been awhile since I last re-timed a machine and this one is new to me so it took awhile. Almost have one front seat finished so might get it on the frame this weekend.
Sounds like a blast. You just making the new covers identical to the existing ones or doing your own stitching variations?

Old 05-22-2010, 12:47 PM

New seats anyone?

Here's the first one, just finished it. This one turned out pretty well but the next one and everyone there after will be perfect. Why? I just bought a brand new machine that will make the job much easier, my Pfaff was never meant to do this kind of work but I managed to nurse it through.
New Seat Skin Project-100_1123.jpg
New Seat Skin Project-100_1125.jpg

This leather is so nice and soft it is way nicer that the original. The seat is much more comfortable.

I'm starting a business making 850 seat skins, armrests, door inserts and other auto upholstery stuff for Volvo's and others. So if you're interested send me PM. I can make them in any custom colors and I'll include a video on how to install them on your seats. Molded carpets for the 850 are in the very near future with all of lower door carpets and wagon area and tailgate. I'll have a website set up soon too.

Last edited by Bobec; 05-22-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:01 PM

How about a new pair of shoes? It is hard to find a true craftsman now days! LOL

Old 05-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

In the future I might have you make me something.
But I will get with you when I am ready. I might have to take you up on the carpet to once you make it.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks great man! Luckily my seats are in very good shape or I would definitely be talking to you.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:42 PM

How much for front seats?

Old 05-22-2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by tech
In the future I might have you make me something.
But I will get with you when I am ready. I might have to take you up on the carpet to once you make it.
Tech, special thanks to you for your cable repair thread. My air bag is still in its housing. Thankfully I read it before I removed the seat. I'll let you know when the carpet is ready and I might drive up to let you have a look and try out the seats.

Jimkw, thanks and please keep me in mind when that "beautiful" fleet needs some interior upgrades.

Ihatevampires, so do I. So I'm thinking about fair pricing. .......what color/colors?

Last edited by Bobec; 05-22-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Tech, special thanks to you for your cable repair thread. My air bag is still in its housing. Thankfully I read it before I removed the seat. I'll let you know when the carpet is ready and I might drive up to let you have a look and try out the seats.
Sounds like a plan!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:12 PM

My seats are grey/charcoal. They aren't terrible but if I could get new covers it would be worth it. I live in Forks, Wa. (Overrun with vampire loving teenage tourists).

Jimkw, thanks and please keep me in mind when that "beautiful" fleet needs some interior upgrades.

Ihatevampires, so do I. So I'm thinking about fair pricing. .......what color/colors?

Old 05-31-2010, 02:15 PM

Finished the passenger seat yesterday then started on the new carpeting

New Seat Skin Project-100_1286.jpg
New Seat Skin Project-100_1285.jpg

Next weekend I'll try to make carpet molds of the floor pan, lower door panels, rear wheel wells and tailgate.

Quick Reply: New Seat Skin Project