Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New Volvo Owner, Lots of Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Volvo Owner, Lots of Questions!

Well I just bought a 1996 850 R the car has almost 105k on it, rather then start a new thread everytime I run into a problem. I will just post them all here.

Everything was going good till the car just died on me. It seems to be fuel related to me.

so I replaced the fuel filter, the car started up, and I drove it around the block and when I got home and turned the car off now the car again will not start.

The fuelpump comes on and is rather loud.Then Icouldent hear it any more. nowI cant hear it at all. Is it dead? is there a short? relay? should i be able to hear the fuel pump all the time?

when I let the car sit for one day with the battey connected the next day I came out, the battery was dead. . . which leads me to think short? or open relay?

I dont know what to do im lost, is there anything I could be over looking?

Thanks guys

Old 05-15-2007, 01:17 AM
Default RE: New Volvo Owner, Lots of Questions!

When you put the key in position 2, do you hear the pump priming?

If you can't, your pump is most likely dead. Make sure you check the fuse first..

Try this. Crank the car and while you're cranking, have a friend tap the tank. If your car starts, you need a new fuel pump without question. It's a very very easy install, and the pumps about 80 bucks..

About the battery, how old is the battery and what brand is it?

Old 05-15-2007, 02:04 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Greetings,

It does seem like the fuel pump or the relay for the pump. The relay can be repaired by yourself, if you can solder. As to testing the pump, follow RedTurbo850's directions as Red has had similar problem recently. But when you do this, make sure to apply foot brakes & parking brakes fully, keep the shifter in "P", and preferably use a wheel chock.

Also, make sure that the timing belt has been replaced within the last 70,000 miles/5 years. If this belt quits while engine is running, you'll need a new/rebuilt head/pistons. If the car did not come with a full maintenance record, visually check the condition of the belt by removing a 12mm bolt from the timing belt cover and lifting it; this exposes all you need to see. Visually inspect the belt with a good flashlight and make sure there are no cracks. If you see even a hairline crack, I would replace the belt now. Parts & labour for replacing the timing belt are not cheap, but compared to a new/rebuilthead/pistons, it's a bargain.

As to the battery, it may be either that the battery is old/in poor condition and can no longer hold charge, or there's a parasitic drain (short) somewhere. Locating a short is time-consuming, but generally it's one of the lights (dome, trunk, glove box, etc...). You can also check the condition of the battery with a digital multimeter & specific gravity tester (only a few$ at an auto parts shop; good investment). Check the electrolyte level by removing the cap on the battery, but make sure to wear eye protection should you decide to do this by yourself. Many people have acted macho and regretted later. I even splashed a bit of electrolyte and my face burned a bit once. Luckily, I was wearing an eye protection.

Here's a good source for routine/basic maintenance:

https://volvoforums.com/m_48928/tm.htm

Best wishes,

JPN

Old 05-15-2007, 09:23 AM

thanks guys, i will have to try the "tapping on the fuel pump trick" The ump seems like it primes when it wants to. I will look further intothe pump tonight. if i pull the pump is there anyway to test it? or at 105k on it should i just get a new one and mark that off the list as a possible failer in the future?

the battery is an optima red top, its a gel type battery so i cant really test it. i need to get a multi meter i guess to start finding the problems too.

is there a way to test the fuel relay, I mean could the fuel pump be spotty like this could it go on and off for short periods of time or is the loudness comming from it when i sometimes hear it prime mean its on its last leg?

Old 05-15-2007, 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: V8SRSLO

thanks guys, i will have to try the "tapping on the fuel pump trick" The ump seems like it primes when it wants to. I will look further intothe pump tonight. if i pull the pump is there anyway to test it? or at 105k on it should i just get a new one and mark that off the list as a possible failer in the future?

the battery is an optima red top, its a gel type battery so i cant really test it. i need to get a multi meter i guess to start finding the problems too.

is there a way to test the fuel relay, I mean could the fuel pump be spotty like this could it go on and off for short periods of time or is the loudness comming from it when i sometimes hear it prime mean its on its last leg?
I don't believe you can really test your pump, and if you pull it, you might as well replace it...It's not that expensive to buy...I got one off Ebay (SuperParts Inc) and the pump is very good. I'd definetely recommend them, and supposedly their pumps run more quietly than the Walbro ones...

The only real test for a pump is to listen if it's priming. If it's priming, your pump is ok.

I don't believe you can really test the relay, unless you have a voltometer which can test it...I believe I remember reading that a lot of the people whose relays failed, when they could hear a buzzing, the car would start, and otherwise the car would not.

If you have a solder, you can always try to fix it...It's a very very cheap fix (not that hard either)...I will dig up the link for you right now... I guess it can't hurt to fix your relay (since it's bound to fail later), but just don't melt any of the stuff inside, otherwise you gotta buy a brand new one from Volvo (50 bucks).

Edit: Relay fix.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...?p=32573#32573
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...?p=31037#31037

Old 05-15-2007, 05:00 PM

Is there any reason to swap the whole fuel pump assembly vs. just the pump?

I lunchI bought a test light so whenI get home im going to try the wires coming into the fuel pump, if the test light comes on that should rule out the relay shouldent it?

thanks guys for all your help.

I will keep you guys all posted. Thanks

Old 05-15-2007, 05:15 PM

Is there any reason to swap the whole fuel pump assembly vs. just the pump?

I lunchI bought a test light so whenI get home im going to try the wires coming into the fuel pump, if the test light comes on that should rule out the relay shouldent it?

thanks guys for all your help.

I will keep you guys all posted. Thanks
You can change the entire assembly if you just want to burn cash...Or you can buy a pump, and send me the difference in cost.

The assembly is simply a plastic covering which houses the pump. The pump is what needs to be replaced.

If your pump is getting power, the relay should be ruled out...

Old 05-15-2007, 06:28 PM

RedTurbo850 do you have a link to the Ebay pump, just in case?

Other then the ebay pump what are some other good ones? walbro? bosch? are they all plug and play, I dont know ifI trust myself to solder something going in a gas tank, to me sparks and gasoline just dosent sound fun.

The fuel pump was very loud when I last heard it andI have a strong feeling it is the fuel pump.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:00 PM

I used this Ebay pump.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL-...spagenameZWDVW
So far I have been very happy with it. It doesn't run loud (some people w/ the Bosch have complained that it's loud), and it works well.

One thing to note about these pumps is that the hose seems to be very slightly short (about a quarter inch). You need to make sure the clamps are VERY VERY tight otherwise, the hose will fall off and your car will die...And I think you need to solder the connections for the wiring (unless I didn't unhook the original wiring up correctly).

Most other people use Walboro fuel pumps. I think Bosch is the OEM one.

You can find the Bosch one at fcpgroton.com.
If I remember correctly, it was 100 bucks..

Edit:
https://volvoforums.com/m_57785/mpage_4/key_/tm.htm
Post #34 is the instructions I used/followed. They are very very good, but if you got questions, jsut let me know.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:39 PM

UPDATE:

well a bit of good news, the car still hasent started, BUT Ibought a test light and checked the power at the plug goingto the fuel pump and when my wife turned on the car the light lit! so I guess that means the relay is good! so now i need a fuel pump.....

but im getting closer!

Old 05-15-2007, 09:54 PM

Icalled around to see if icould find a fuel pump local but nothing! so im going to just buy the ebay fuel pump in just a few minutes....

i hope i will be back on the road by the weekend

Old 05-15-2007, 09:56 PM

^Sounds great!

About the battery:
-How old is it?
-Could it possibly be that you've run down the battery by cranking the motor a lot?
-Did you ever accidently put the positive to negative when you were jump starting the car (if you did?)

Edit: Your local autozone/NAPA may carry pumps, but I'm not completely sure if I would trust their pumps.

Double Edit: FCP Groton's OEM pumps are:
$195 for the Bosch
$125 for the Hella

Go w/ the Ebay one lol. Just be warned that for the install (at least the kit I showed you, and possibly the other kits too), the hose may be short (you could probably buy a new hose at Home Depot and cut the length yourself), and for the wiring, It's probably going to require some soldering.

Let me know if you have questions for the install. After spending a good week trying to figure out my fuel pump woes, I've become somewhat of an expert about the subject lol.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:35 PM
JPN

In case you're interested in other brands of pumps (RedTurbo has already suggested):

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850fuelsystem.htm

Bosch: $195 (1st pic)
Hella-Pierburg: $125 (2nd pic): German mfg, judging from the name but call Groton.
Pump O-ring: $3

One part I'm unsure about the pump RedTurbo used is its longevity. I wonder RedTurbo has some info from the seller as to the pump's longevity.

Make sure to have a maintenance manual should you decide to do the work yourself and do your homework before taking things apart. Also, I would highly recommend that you buy a bottle of Class-B fire extinguisher and do the work at a well-ventilated area while someone is close enough to hear you in case of a problem. Some people have died working on the fuel systems, by inhaling too much vapour. Also, remove ALL sources of fire & spark from the work area.

If you want to buy parts on your own and have it done at a shop, be sure to ask them to see if they accept parts from customers, as some places don't. Also, expect the labour to be a bit higher if you provide parts.

>Your local AutoZone/NAPA may carry pumps, but I'm not completely sure if I would trust their pumps.
For Volvos, I wouldn't trust their quality.

The battery is maintenance-free type. You can only check its voltage. But if it keeps draining, it's either the battery is old/in poor condition or parasitic drain somewhere.

I'll leave you with RedTurbo, as RedTurbo has done the job; I haven't.

Good luck,

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/5AC7658CB36F4DA3963206056D608615.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/AED407860A2749DBACC80573BA537126.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-15-2007, 11:04 PM

ORIGINAL: JPN

One part I'm unsure about the pump RedTurbo used is its longevity. I wonder RedTurbo has some info from the seller as to the pump's longevity.

Make sure to have a maintenance manual should you decide to do the work yourself and do your homework before taking things apart. Also, I would highly recommend that you buy a bottle of Class-B fire extinguisher and do the work at a well-ventilated area while someone is close enough to hear you in case of a problem. Some people have died working on the fuel systems, by inhaling too much vapour. Also, remove ALL sources of fire & spark from the work area.

If you want to buy parts on your own and have it done at a shop, be sure to ask them to see if they accept parts from customers, as some places don't. Also, expect the labour to be a bit higher if you provide parts.

You're definetely right about the longevity questions, but it seems to be a pretty good pump, but only time will tell if it truly is a good pump.

The maintenance (haynes/chiltons) isn't required since the links I gave you are very very thorough, but for car repairs in the future, they are definetely helpful. I believe Haynes is better.

But about the fuel system thing. You're definetely right about how you need good ventilation, but from what I was reading, contrary to popular opinion, gasoline does not ignite very easily. You need VERY VERY hot temps to get it to ignite.

And don't do it at a shop. It's very very easy, and only requires simple tools. It will take you 4-5 hours maximum. It took me that long, but I was very hesitant on some parts, and I had to pick up a solder for the wires. There is absolutely zero question that it is doable for a simple at-home mechanic.

Edit: The Ebay pump looks a lot like the 2nd picture, except that on the ends of the wiring harness, they are just wires w/ no connections. That's why you need to solder.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RedTurbo850

You're definetely right about how you need good ventilation, but from what I was reading, contrary to popular opinion, gasoline does not ignite very easily. You need VERY VERY hot temps to get it to ignite.
I´ve been working with software for gasoline stations for the last ten years, so I have spoken with many fuel pump and tank technicians over the years. The risk of fire/explosion comes mainly from gasoline vapors, which are VERY volatile. For example, an empty underground gas tank has to be filled with water to displace the vapors before doing maintenance on the tank.

Regards

Old 05-16-2007, 10:17 AM

hey red how is the quailty of of the ebay fuel pump?

i havent been able to locate a bosch pump locally, but a autozone has the hella pump for $150

I know "you get what you pay for" but it dosent always seem to be the case with some parts these days...

any imput on quailty or longevity on these pumps guys?

also fuel consumption? should i worry? most of the after market pumps are 255's?

Old 05-16-2007, 10:56 AM
JPN

You may want to ask RedTurbo to see where the pump was manufactured. I do not have statistics on different pumps, but if it were my own car I would just buy OEM (Bosch) but that's just me. You're right that on rare occasions you may not get what you pay for, but 90% of the time you do but again it's just me.

Hella Pierburg seems to be a part of BEHR, which is a German mfg that also manufactures many electrical components, so I believe the quality is all right. But wait till Red can give you a bit more info on his pump. It has 1-year warranty so it may be worth a try.

This place, BTW, has Hella for less than Groton:
http://www.car-stuff.com/mmparts/vol...fuel_pump.html

They say Hella is the OEM:
http://replacement.autopartswarehous...eturnurl=_BASE

↑I've used this vendor once/twice and their service was all right. But the car-stuff place has lower price than other guys and seems to give you free shipping (not sure how much purchases you have to make).

I wonder what pump Red originally had, the one that quit on him. I would visityour local AutoZone again and let them show you the actual pump, and check to see if it's made in Germany.

If you'd like to research further:
http://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=ja...p+volvo&lr=

To test the pump after removal, you could apply 12V and see if it spins. Do this away from the car.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 05-16-2007, 12:01 PM

hey red how is the quailty of of the ebay fuel pump?

i havent been able to locate a bosch pump locally, but a autozone has the hella pump for $150

I know "you get what you pay for" but it dosent always seem to be the case with some parts these days...

any imput on quailty or longevity on these pumps guys?

also fuel consumption? should i worry? most of the after market pumps are 255's?
Fuel pump is good, and the quality looked pretty good too. It didn't look like it was made like crap...
If you want to go hella, you might as well go FCP groton since it's only $125.

A lot of people on Volvo Speed have used other Ebay pumps and they've been happy. I'm pretty happy with mine too, but it's only been on here for 800 miles. It's got a 1 year warranty, and the guy who owns the store seems like he knows what he's talking about and is a quality guy.

As to fuel consumption, he told me you might consume slightly more at idle, but otherwise, it should be the same since any unused fuel will get returned to the tank.

Edit: This is what he sent me in the email.
4. You should not experience a significant loss of mileage with the new fuel pump. Perhaps one mpg at the most, the difference is not significant. The more the car spends idling in traffic, the more noticeable the difference will be. If your factory fuel pump is ailing (noisy and ineffecient), your car's original performance will be restored with the installation of the fresh fuel pump. In most cases, simply swapping out the fuel pump will not give a performance gain unless the original one had something wrong with it.

Cfrance AT gmail.com

Old 05-16-2007, 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: JPN

You may want to ask RedTurbo to see where the pump was manufactured. I do not have statistics on different pumps, but if it were my own car I would just buy OEM (Bosch) but that's just me. You're right that on rare occasions you may not get what you pay for, but 90% of the time you do but again it's just me.
Imo, pumps aren't that hard to make, and the price differential is only about 50 bucks. It doesn't seem that significant that you'd get a horrible product.

I don't know where the pump is manufacteured, but email the guy and ask. He's very helpful.

I wonder what pump Red originally had, the one that quit on him. I would visityour local AutoZone again and let them show you the actual pump, and check to see if it's made in Germany.
Well, mine quit on me, as with other people, and I assume they all have the OEM bosch one..

Old 05-16-2007, 12:19 PM

damn nowI cant decide. I dont want to pay 200 for bosch so thats out.

its between the Ebay pump and the Hella pump.....

hmm I have to make up my mind quick so i can get the pump before the weekend.

everyone here makes good points.

Quick Reply: New Volvo Owner, Lots of Questions!