Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Newbie says "HI"

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie says "HI"

Hi guys,

I finally pulled a trigger and getting myself a black 1996 850R.
I am picking it up tomorrow and I am pretty excited. This will be my first volvo. I have been searching for my another DD for a while, and I had some bad, interesting, weird, and fun time during the search.
I was looking for RWD with 5 speed, but decided to get 850r.
I hope I will enjoy riding it and have fun with it.

The first thing I am going to do is replacing timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, and water pump. I also need to fix broken odometer too. Those things will be my main project for now.
I will take and post pictures while working on it, and I also will ask a lot of questions here. I hope I can get good advice and help.

I will take pictures of the car tomorrow and post them here.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Congrats on the new ride. The 850R is an awesome car. Make sure you post up some pictures when you get a chance because you know what they say, "pics or it did not happen."

Also, if you need any parts for your volvo, let me know. Here is a link to the timing belt kit that we sell. http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/201

Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the Volvo family.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Thanks.
The car is in my drive way. I am going to order parts from fcpgroton. I need the timing belt and water pump kit, I also need pcv system, but I am going to order those parts later after I inspect all the parts. That way I know what parts I really need to order.
I also need to fix broken odometer.
Oh, and the upper engine mount has a crack so I guess I have to change it...can I just change the top one...? Should I change top and bottom one?

Anyway, a big project for me...timing belt water pump, pcv system....but I am excited to work on 850r!

I will take pictures tomorrow because it's already dark here.

Cheers!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:46 PM

Ok, since everything is my first time to do this DIY, I need advice on this.

1. when I checked the timing belt and water pump kit, there are front/rear cam seal and balance shaft seals....both have the same part number. So I need 2 of those same part?
2. There are 2 kinds of thermostat, one is for 87 degree and another one is for 92 degree. Which one should I get?
3. For pcv system, what parts must be replaced? if I can clean up the old parts and reuse them, I will do it. I don't want to waste parts and money here.
4. I am going to flush the old transmission fluid and put new one, however is this necessary at 140k miles? This is my first automatic car....

Thank you.

Last edited by gorillajin; 01-06-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:11 PM

Welcome to the Forum

Old 01-06-2010, 07:24 PM

Thanks

For the question 4, I checked the automatic fluid and it wasn't bright red, it looks more like used engine oil (dark brown)....do you guys think it's better to flush and refill the fluid? I am asking because some members said that if the tranny fluid has never been changed, I shouldn't flush it.....

Never mind with the other questions. I found most of answers by searching this forum.
I just need to know the transmission flush thing

Last edited by gorillajin; 01-06-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

With 140k, you might want to skip the water pump. I know people say change it because your there but it may last another 140k.

As for the PCV system, I would just replace the entire system. Hoses get hard and sometime leak air unless they are clamped.

I would get the 92 degree stat.

Not sure about the trany flush. I would probably just replace.

Sometimes the lower trany mount is weak as well. That might me a good thing to replace, especially if you feel hard shifting.

Two other things you may want to prepare for are the Evaporator & Heater coils. They seem to go bad with this type of age.

Welcome to the Fam. Don't get overwhelmed, take your time and enjoy the ride.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
With 140k, you might want to skip the water pump. I know people say change it because your there but it may last another 140k.

As for the PCV system, I would just replace the entire system. Hoses get hard and sometime leak air unless they are clamped.

I would get the 92 degree stat.

Not sure about the trany flush. I would probably just replace.

Sometimes the lower trany mount is weak as well. That might me a good thing to replace, especially if you feel hard shifting.

Two other things you may want to prepare for are the Evaporator & Heater coils. They seem to go bad with this type of age.

Welcome to the Fam. Don't get overwhelmed, take your time and enjoy the ride.
Thank you for all the advice.

I already ordered water pump and thermostat(92degree one) since I want to flush cooling system too.

The pcv kit is on the way with timing belt kit.

"replace" means just drain old one and refill with new tranny fluid? or you meant replace the tranny?

I agree with you about the lower tranny mount. The tranny feels fine and has minimal shifting feeling. Not bad for 14 years old car. After I change the fluid, if I still feel the shifting feeling, then I will change the lower tranny mount.

I will give attention to those evaporator and heater coils.

I named her "Black pearl". She has skin cancer (pretty bad) and she will be under surgery end of this year.
After I take care of TB, water pump, pcv system, engine oil, tranny fluid, cooling system, and odometer, I will ride her like what 850r meant to be driven

Old 01-07-2010, 06:32 PM

Well, she is not a beauty queen right now, but here she is.
I need to clean her up after I replace all the necessary parts.
Name:  P1040319.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  51.5 KB
Name:  P1040322.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  81.0 KB
Name:  P1040321.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  60.0 KB

Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 AM

good looking car - is it too nosey to ask what it sold for?

Old 01-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

As for the tranny, I'm afraid of the word FLUSH. I would just replace the fluid, allow the old to drain out and refill it with fresh fluid. No flushing.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:15 AM

Yeah, I will just drain the old fluid and refill with new one.