Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

noobie 850r owner needs help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noobie 850r owner needs help

Hey ...I am a noobie here and recently acquired a 95 850R...the PO thought the turbo was bad..but it was just the intercooler hose, that had a hole in it...I picked up the car drove it home with no problems..aprt from the fact the engine was getting no boost pressure..the car had a few mods such as Eibachs, Bilsteins, Slotted rotors...So i got he car and ordered the interooler hose, replaced it hoping my problems would go away.....

It didnt..in fact the car had new symptoms
1. The car is getting boost and feels like its on steroids
2. It idles fine and revs smooth when in nuetral
3. when in gear or under load it bucks and sputters from 3000 rpm and acts like its running outa gas

I did a few checks and pulled some codes, I got like 20 of them
boost too high
maf sensor signal absent
random misfire
rich mixture ..the list goes on

Anyways..I went back and checked for vaccum leaks and found that there are three vaccum lines on the lower part of the airbox...one from the turbo and from the wastegate I beleive, the third hose goes back ot theair box..they were all lose and broken..I did my best to re-attach them, but not as snug as before..

The test drive was much better and revved pass 5k..then shrugged occassionally like it was still not getting gas ....

I NEED HELP....WHAT IS THE PART ONTHE BOTTOM OF THE AIR BOX CALLED AND WILL IT CAUSE THESE SYMPTOMS TO BE PRESENT ?

HELP[sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 03-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: noobie 850r owner needs help

Check the tune up.
If the wires are OEM they will be dated.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:34 PM

thanks ..but its not the wires...anyone else

Old 03-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clear the codes and see what comes back. Tell us the codes so we can help.

I'd also say do a full stage 0, search around if you don't know what that is.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-24-2008, 03:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey now[sm=Flahssssss.gif] , and [sm=hiya.gif]

ORIGINAL: Mthrizzle

It didnt..in fact the car had new symptoms
1. The car is getting boost and feels like its on steroids -- this is good? yes?
2. It idles fine and revs smooth when in neutral -- this, also, is good? yes?
3. when in gear or under load it bucks and sputters from 3000 rpm and acts like its running outa gas -- this, not so good []

I did a few checks and pulled some codes, I got like 20 of them -- this, sounds really bad. [:@]

boost too high -- blow off valve not operating properly, not sure what might cause this or if there may be another cause.
maf sensor signal absent -- bad MAF sensor?
random misfire -- you say it isn't wires, so, silly question for you. Have you checked the plugs?
rich mixture-- confuser(computer) may be dumping extra fuel above the 5k rev range due to bad MAF sensor.
Here is a link,

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/volvo_wo...techdocs.shtml(Credit to our Bro's across the pond)

You may find some of this useful and I hope you'll take the time to post your codes as they will provide the best info for others to be of the most help.

Good luck.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-24-2008, 02:52 PM

Update

Took the car to local AZ, before I could write the codes down..the guy said..it needs a tune up..thats the problem..anyways he didnt want to run the diagnostics again..so I left..had some random misfire codes.. nothing new

A friend of mine stopped by to look at the car andat first thought it wasa spark issue, he checked around and then disconnected the hose from the wastegate and ran a longer hose from there to the whatchyamacallit in top of the ISV with some vaccum lines going to the intake....

This is what resulted...no more problems...E
X
E
P
T

The car now feels as if its not getting enough boost as before and feels like about 175hp and not the stock 250.

He noted that before the waste gate was not opening up and was sending too much boost, therefore resulting in incomplete combustion. Now with the new longer hose set up like this the wastegate was opening and closing

What he recommends

that I check the hose from the turbo going to the TCV on the lower part of the air box to make sure there are no leaks. If there arent any then try and replace the TCV

Note: TCV = Turbo Control Valve

Any comments ?

Old 03-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Check the 3 hoses to the turbo for leaks.
Also with the 1995 you can pull the codes yourself.
It might still need a tune up.
Link to site to learn how to pull the codes.
http://www.troublecodes.net/Volvo/

Old 04-15-2008, 12:57 PM

Replaced the ignition coil and the car is now running like it should, exept it idles at bout 1700 rpm and only drops to 1000 when the fan comes on, there is no check light present, so I am not sure if theres a vaccum leak somehere..but cant seem to find it, or not sure if the coolant temp sensor needs replacement