Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

O2 Sensor Testing... / Lambda Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O2 Sensor Testing... / Lambda Light

I was out and about in the car today(94 850 turbo) and the lambda light came on, it stayed on most of the after noon but went out a couple of times but did return. I'm assuming that there may be a problem with the O2 sensor or the fuel delivery system. Is there a certian way to test the O2? Is it a 4 wire heated sensor? does it work with resistsnce or voltage?

another thing that I noticed happened a couple times, i had the car accelerate hard under boost and there seemed to be some sort of electronic fuel cut or something which made the car hesitate for a second while boost got up. I dunno but is this some sort of safety that the ECU may be doing because of readings of particular sensors telling the ECU there is something wrong?

I have not pulled the codes yet because I am having some sort of problem with herasing old codes and I don't know which codes are recent or old, I hope to do that tomorrow and attempt to read al codes then clear them to see which ones reappear.

Any inital thoughts, or ideas on what to look for/test?

Thanks
Mike

Old 10-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: O2 Sensor Testing... / Lambda Light

I haven't been able to find a good way to test the o2 sensors with a Volt meter on the 4 wire sensors.

The Lamba light could be many things.

On your car the Lamba light should replace the check enigne light so it could be many things.

Like you said clear all the codes and see what comes back.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:24 AM

I'll do the codes tomorrow but Ok it is a bit wierd but here's my events for today, let me start that I have spent way more time wrenching on this car than driving it, and that's no exageration, i filled the car with gas today only for the second time and the first time i filled it was the day I bought it and that was over 350KM away from where I live!! so to say the least I don't really know the driveability of the car as of yet.

Today started off by leaving my house and less than 2Km from the door the light came on, i shut the car off and restarted it several times but the light came back on. It stayed on till i got to my friends house which is 25Km away. We went in for breakfast and it was on all the way to the restaraunt. After about an hour in there we left and drove away and it was off untill about 5 minutes of driving then it went off again. Parked for another hour and then drove to Toronto with 5 people in the car and the light came on as soon as I pulled in to the parking lot of the theme park we were headed to, so that was about 120KM of highway driving at 120 Km/h. We were in the park for 5 hours(it was a haloween thing) and drove back on the highway and after about 5Km of highway driving it came back on and then stayed on for another 50 Km or so then shut off on it's own. I put anothe 70 or so Km on it from the last time it went off and it never showed up again.

I know it's almost useless to talk about this with out codes for a baseline of what's going on, but is this erratic behaviour of the light on and oo again normal thing that happens when there's a problem? I allways thought that once a light was triggered it would stay lit until it was repaired/cleared.

-Mike

Old 10-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, I think it depends upon the code. For instance, an A2 code of 2-3-1 will cause the light to go out if it goes long enough for it to not happen again. I assume it is based upon mileage or engine revolutions, but I've had the 2-3-1 intermittently for about 2 months now.

I just purchased new o2 sensors and I'm going to put them in this week. - AB

Old 10-31-2006, 06:10 PM

I just erased the codes in Terminal B1, i'll see what comes up again. Should I be checking for codes in a different terminal? For some reason codes i get from other terminals do not like to be erased

I erased the codes and idled the car for a couple minutes and 4-1-7 passenger side interior temperature inlet fan siezed reapperaed instantly. I'll take the car to the gym this evening and see if more pop up.

would 4-1-7 be enough to make the two red lights blink for error on my climate controller?
-Mike

Old 11-01-2006, 12:12 AM

I just pulled the codes on A2.

First Reading before any erasing I am getting these numbers from haynes manual Fenix 5.2 system code list)

3-1-4, camshaft position sensor signal absent or faulty,
1-2-1, MAP sensor signal absent or faulty
4-1-4, not sure
4-1-3, EGR temp sensor signal absent or faulty
2-3-2, ling term fuel mixture too weak at idle

3-1-4 makes sense because I tried to start car before with it unplugged, 2-3-2 could be from where i ran the car with the vacuum line for the FPR off.

I cleared the codes and went for a drive, within 2 minutes the lambda light came on and later on it went off. I came home and the only code to reapper is A2 was code 4-1-4

Does this make any sense/tell you guys anything?
thx
Mike

Old 11-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: MikeySq

I just erased the codes in Terminal B1, i'll see what comes up again. Should I be checking for codes in a different terminal? For some reason codes i get from other terminals do not like to be erased

I erased the codes and idled the car for a couple minutes and 4-1-7 passenger side interior temperature inlet fan siezed reapperaed instantly. I'll take the car to the gym this evening and see if more pop up.

would 4-1-7 be enough to make the two red lights blink for error on my climate controller?
-Mike
Yes, it would give you an error on the climate control. Just get a can of compressed air (if you don't have air compressor) and blow out the fan inlet hole underneath the passenger side handle in the headliner. If you pull the plastic piece (it snaps back in place) that 'creates' the hole, you will see the fan behind it (smaller in diameter than a dime). It's probably gunked up with dust and other particles. Blow it out until it's clean, then put the key in the ignition and turn it to 'on', or start the car, and ensure that the fan works. - AB

Old 11-02-2006, 06:52 PM

I checked in today at at local volvo garage about this code (A2) 4-1-4, and aparently it is a boost problem with over boosting. I am going to check out the wastegate actuator and the Wastegate linkage on the turbo to see it it's OK/free. I was told there is a boost sensor or something similar to that name. I know it's that little black thing on the left of the airbox which has a wire harness and a few vacuum lines going to it.

I should check first if i put that sensor back on the car properly and the hoses are installed correct.

Does anyone have any experience or tips on dealing with this problem!

BTW, I repaired the inlet sensor fan and that code is history!!

thx
-Mike

Old 11-02-2006, 08:24 PM

I went to the gym this evening and on my way there I took it easy going there, easy acceleration with no boost and I did not get the light to come on, whereas yesterday it did turn on on the way to the gym. On my way back I drove a little harder and still the light did not come on, what gives! haha

I'm not that familiar with this car so I'm not sure what feels right when it's boosting, but the boods gauge does go pretty high, above the end of the marking, and there seems to be some what of an electronic fuel cut or something when it gets high so i think there still are boost problems.

Does anyone know the function of or how the boost solenoid or valve or what ever it's called that mounts on the left of the air box works? There are 3 vacuum lines on the rear anda wire connector on the front. Is there a certain order in which positions the vac lines go on?

Old 11-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

See if there is a sticker on your hood for the Vaccum hose routing.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:35 PM

Thanks again tech, I checked the vacuum schematic sticker and indeed I had 2 of the lines messed up on the boost sensor/solenoid or whatever it's called. I had the yellow marked hose(pressurized on the blue marked hose(intake air) spot.

Code hasn't shown up again... but now I have A2 4-1-3 haha but that'll be in another post hahaha

Thanks,
-Mike