Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New Brakes work Good.. But

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Brakes work Good.. But

Hey I did the brakes on my car over the weekend and other than the occasional squealing every now and again (which I plan to correct) I'm very pleased with them!

On my way to the gym this evening i had to stop rather quickly and they preformed well, a little bump of the abs and they stopped fine.... Too bad the person in a toyota camry behind me wasn't so lucky, she slammed right in to the back of me!! OH well that's life. Not too much dammage to my car bumper is scuffed and there's a little impact crack, her car is worse, headlight, grille, bumper corner light and i think some of the metal is mis alligned.

I'm going to get a quote from a body shop for repairs on my car and let her see the estamate and settle outside of insureance, Is there anything that may happen in a light rear ender in a 850 wagon that I should look out for? are there any sensors or anything that may be dammaged other than the visual dammage to the bumper I should look out for?

Thanks
Mike

Old 11-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Brakes work Good.. But

i'd make sure the rear hatch opens & closes properly. i hope she wasn't on the cell phone. (damn those things!)

Old 11-01-2006, 11:01 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Greetings from Chicagoland,

Sorry to hear the minor accident, at least no one seems hurt.

Since my 850 is a sedan, I am not savvy with wagon. But you say it's the right rear fender area? You might want to check & make sure that there is no damage around the fuel filler neck or any fuel lines.

Next time when you brake hard, look in the rear-view mirror if you can (you might have done it anyway and the woman either couldn't react fast enough or followed your car too close, which many people do and it annoys me). What I do, when I brake hard or when braking while someone is following me too close, I tap on the brake pedal 2-3 times before full go. This way, the brake lights flash and the idiot behind me will notice that I'm about to stop. But in panic braking, of course, I probably won't be able to do that.

Good luck with repair.

JPN

Old 11-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Feel like telling a story from a while back. I was on this two lane major road when all of sudden the pickup truck in front of me makes a sudden right turn into a driveway. I slammed my brakes on, looked in the mirrir and saw the car behind me was going to hit me. I braced the Chinese food on the passenger seat and went off the right side off the road and stopped. Nobody got hit or anything, and I kept my Chinese food from going all over the front of the car.

Well the guy in the pickup truck stops and gets out of his truck and he is falling down drunk. From somewhere another car stops and this guy gets out just to see if everybody is alright or something. Well the guy in the pickup starts getting back in his truck and the other guy that stopped grabs him and slams him up against the side of the truck. Turns out he was an off duty cop and he arrested the guy right there on the spot.

Nothing really happened, but I know that my natural instinct is to look in the mirror before slamming on my brakes.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:47 PM

I priced parts at the local wrecker today and they said they wanted $450CAD for the bumper cover, absorber and rail thing

dammage is mainly cosmetic like a crack in the trim nad the scuffs and bends, but I have yet to really size it up to see if there's anything really moved.

Name:  PB020145.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  PB020142.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  51.5 KB

Old 11-02-2006, 11:17 PM

That is a real bummer for you. I can sympathize. I would get it checked out thoroughly and then proceed with repairs from body shop or replace the parts yourself barring no damage to alignment of bolts and clips, etc. I had an RX-7 that was rear ended and under the bumper cover was a huge bumper shaped styrofoam block. Make sure if yours has a similiar setup that the foam is not crushed. I think Volvo's have a better reputation for surviving accidents than Mazdas. [IMG][/IMG]

Good luck with it,
Rob

Old 11-02-2006, 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: robrike

That is a real bummer for you. I can sympathize. I would get it checked out thoroughly and then proceed with repairs from body shop or replace the parts yourself barring no damage to alignment of bolts and clips, etc. I had an RX-7 that was rear ended and under the bumper cover was a huge bumper shaped styrofoam block. Make sure if yours has a similiar setup that the foam is not crushed. I think Volvo's have a better reputation for surviving accidents than Mazdas. [IMG][/IMG]

Good luck with it,
Rob

I agree, my previous car was an 85 RX-7, reasons why i bought a Volvo.

Hit by a Chevy Suburban, with the metal grille protector thingy in the front @ 40 mph.

Note: Passenger door was in the center console.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:28 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello All,

Greetings from Chicagoland.

As a native of Japanese, I am ashamed that it is true that Japanese manufacturers like to use thinner steel to get better gas mileage. European cars seem to use heavier-gage steel, thus better impact protection. Recent Japanese luxury cars seem to have improved (Lexus, Acura & Infinity), but Europeans are still ahead in terms of safety.

Here's my prejudice:

American cars: For more power & comfort at a reasonable price.
European cars: For best performance & safety.
Korean cars: Value for the money & best warranty in the industry.
Japanese cars: For durability & built quality (Except for Mitsubishi trucks, they had hideous recalls, engine catching on fire, wheel hubs falling off & killing pedestrians by hitting them, etc... But all Japanese manufacturers are having recalls one after another lately).

Some Japanese cars are sold in domestic market only, and they are quite nice (i.e. Toyota Century, which is more expensive than a fully-loaded Lexus 430, Nissan Skyline GTR, which doesn't look it's worth $50,000, Honda stopped manufacturing NSX, but is planning a new one).

Anyway, Volvos are definitely safer.

Good night,

JPN

Old 11-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

You need to take it to a body shop and get a real estimate for repair. Then let her decide whether she wants to pay you directly or turn it over to insurance. Once she sees the estimate for around $1,000 she will probably use her insurance.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:28 PM

Wow, that is some serious impact damage. I rolled an 86 RX-7 and it did not look that bad. After I rolled the 86 I took the money and bought an 87 RX-7 that was the one that was rear ended. Sleezy body shop full of rip off guys. I had a bad feeling from the start but did not listen to my gut. I eventually got it straightened out but learned a lesson or two about seeking out signs of quality shops.

I hope you and anyone with you were okay. Looking at the picture again, I am hoping nobody was with you. I love the rotary engine and all of its little quirks.

Definetly scope out the shops and if you get a "bad" feeling from one,,,,, move on.

Rob

Old 11-04-2006, 09:10 AM
reg

I hope you have a police report. If not.............good luck! I have no idea why anyone would fail to not call the police department. If you had any idea how many uninsured drivers are on the road you would be amazed! The only way to collect from one of these deadbeats is to sue them............if you can find them. With the police report you will have a correct address, you will know if they are insured, and with that information you should go directly to their carrier for repairs. I am assuming that you are in a state that does not have a "no fault" statute. If that is not the case, then you will absorb the cost of repairs yourself.

r.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

I think you have 30 days to file a police report. If you haven't and it is within the 30 days, you file a report. Reg is absolutely correct.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:30 PM
reg

I just noticed Jim that he resides in Canada. God save the Queen!

R.

ORIGINAL: JimKW

I think you have 30 days to file a police report. If you haven't and it is within the 30 days, you file a report. Reg is absolutely correct.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:37 PM

canada eh? woo hoo hahaha

Old 11-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

But if you look close at his Profile you will see that he is actually from Ohio.