Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Oil Pan Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Gaskets

I have been getting help on here to fix my friend's damn 850 Turbo that he put a fist-sized hole in the oil pan. The new pan is finally ready to go in, save for a bunch of random little green o-rings and gaskets that don't seem to go anywhere on the pan.

There is not a gasket that looks like it fits for where the oil thermostat attaches on the right side.

There is now a stopper put in place where the oil level sensor would have gone on a so-optioned 850. That has a rubber gasket in it.

I still have a bunch of random o-rings and other associated pieces with no apparent place to put them. Anybody have a guess?

Old 01-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You will only need 2 of the o- rings. They go on the top of the pan flange near where the oil thermostat attaches. If you look on the engine block, you'll see that there are 2 grooves cut out for o- rings- that's where they go. Use a dab of grease or silicone to attach the o- rings to those grooves, then baste the pan flange with the liquid gasket material and install it, carefully torquing to spec- make sure your torque the oil pan to transmission gasket first, before torquing the other bolts. And while you CAN use RTV to make the gasket for the pan, you really ought to use Volvo's stuff... yes, it's expensive, but it provides the best seal for this application- RTV allows too much flex. As for the oil thermostat o- ring, that doesn't come with the kit, you have to get it separately, for some dumb reason, since the oil pan gasket kit comes with every single OTHER gasket needed for every single variation of this engine...

Oh, one of the extra o- rings, as well as a gasket, is for the turbo drain tube. Replace those while your down there. And one of them might also be for the dipstick tube, too. The rest of them are unnecessary pieces that go to other variations of the engine in other car models.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Used the Volvo stuff already, the pan is up. I just need to button everything up today and it will be all set to go.