Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Which one to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one to buy.

Hi guys,

I'm new to this site but itseems to be the place to go for good advice so thanks in advance.

I currently drive a Volvo V40 T4. Im looking to upgrade to a slightly larger wagon. The question i have is which one to buy. The options being an 850 t-5, 850 R, 850 AWD or V70 AWD.

I do some track day work and the v40 is good fun but massive under steer and constant lack of traction in the wet have me steering towards the AWD models.

I have read the posts on upgrading the turbo 2.3l engines. Onthe car i end up choosing i will probablybe implementingsomething similar to IPD's stage3. Getting the car up over the 300hpmark is the aim.

The main things i cant seem to find info on are:

1. How much power can the AWD system handle without it becoming a liability.
2. How much power does the AWD system absorb.
3. How good can you make the front end traction on the FWD cars.

Any information or opinions on this subject would be great thanks guys.

Pete

Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Which one to buy.

In my opinion stay with the 850T5 or the R.
Stay away from the AWD on those cars. The AWD sucks on them.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Agree on the 850. We also have a XC70 AWD. While the AWD is nowhere the best in the world, it does do an adequate job for what it was designed for. However, if raw power and handling are what you are after, then definitely stay away from the AWD.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:29 PM

Thanks guys.

So that just leaves the 850 R and the T-5R to choose between.

From what i can find the 850R is meant to have more friendly suspension but is it a bit softer for the track ? My V40 while being a bitbumpy of the road is not bad on the track but could still be better. Would the T-5R suspension be more trach suited.

The 850R also hasthe M59 Manual gearbox right ?

Is the T-5R Manualan M56 box ? This seems to be the stronger transmission but how hard is the job of fitting a limited slip diff?

What other pro's and con's are there between these two wagons?

Old 09-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Icspete,

Thats the thing about dual purpose streetcars. Some are good for the track and some not. You will always want for better suspension for the track and something smooth for the road.

Do you plan to do the work that you are asking about?

Have you considered adjustable suspension components as a way of getting what you need? You would be able to lower/raise the car, firm/soften dampening, control shock and rebound.

There are some that are inexpensive and some that you may need a loan for.

Have you spoken to any mechanic/tech about the limited slip installation?

Just curious .

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-08-2008, 04:11 AM

Hey guys,

I'm not bothered by the rough ride on the road side of things its all part of the turf but i was wondering about the difference between the two on the track. Which one would handle better standard and need the least done to make it stick even better.

I would most likely do the work myself yes. I'm not to familiar with the volvo's yet the V40 has been more of a work horse that got thrashed once in a while. I plan to take a lot more interest in the 850. In the past however i have built a few other cars namely a custom mini with 1400.

Bolt on parts should be not too difficult to install and then i can get the final tune up done locally.

Of course adjustables would be the ulitmate set up for an every day driver but the cheaper end of the scale would not perform as well on the track as dedicated performance parts for the same price im thinking. What set ups have poeple tried ?

The limited slip is an unknown. Is it an engine out job to do a gearbox or diff change in these cars ? What about a clutch upgrade ?

Pete

Old 09-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Icspete,

Am right in understanding you right that you want to have the 850 as a dedicated track car? Or semi track?

Im going to presume that youre going to drive the 850 to and from the track and probably around town once in a while?

You Gotta Show Your Pride.And your ride.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-08-2008, 10:57 PM

The car will be an everyday road car to be used on the track probably once a month. I do allot of highway driving but sydney traffic has its problems so i need it streetable as well. The bumpy ride though is not an issue.

I want to buy the car thats easiest and cheapest to convert to a qucik track day car and im still not sure whether the R or T-5R is the way to go.