Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Opinions on Suspension

Old 07-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Suspension

I was wondering what kind of suspension setups people on here have. I don't want lowering springs/coilovers, but just stock suspension. What brands are generallly reliable and reasonably priced. I figure replacing the shocks is next on the to do list. Oh and the car is a wagon so I'm assuming it has heavier shocks than the sedans. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

l have on new stock springs together with bilstein front struts and OEM rear shocks with new mounts plus ipd sway bars. get ipds sway bars and you would love the way your car rides.if you want stiffer ride get bilstein shocks and struts with OEM springs and mounts.but if you want much more stiffer ride get ipds coil springs with bilstein HD but that will lower your car. browse FCP, they have a whole suspension set for a reasonable price

Old 07-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by derrickb
I was wondering what kind of suspension setups people on here have. I don't want lowering springs/coilovers, but just stock suspension. What brands are generallly reliable and reasonably priced. I figure replacing the shocks is next on the to do list. Oh and the car is a wagon so I'm assuming it has heavier shocks than the sedans. Any help is appreciated.
First assess what other suspension components (front upper spring caps, tie rod ends, lower control arms, etc.) may need replacing before you tear it apart so you have the parts on hand. Any suspension parts i recommend OEM (or better); lots of cheap aftermkt crap out there that won't last 2 years.

BTW: shocks are same for sedan/wagon. You don't have nivomats do you?

(added by Kiss4afrog, the springs are different for sedan and wagon both stock and aftermarket.)

At a minimum replace the upper spring caps when replacing the front struts; recommend OEM XC90 parts (heavier duty than stock) or IPD HD part here; no cheap aftermkt crap!

For shocks/struts recommend Bilstein TCs; only slightly firmer than stock and lifetime warranty. It's what i have on both my cars. Shop around for them; last set I got from AJUSA; $311 for full set (they were having Father's Day sale).

The Bilstein HDs (yellow) are of course excellent too, but much stiffer than stock.

And yes, the IPD sway bars will dramatically improve your handling; also recommend (also on both my cars).

Save up your money, do it all at once, then take it to a good alignment shop for a full four-wheel alignment. Then smile...!

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 07-08-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the information. The car doesn't have nivomats. I bought a set of kyb's yesterday, but this post has made me think about returning them when I get them. I researched the bilstein tc's and from what people say they are great. I'm thinking about buying those instead. I will probably replace the spring caps like you said, but I don't have the money for sway bars right now. Possibly in the future, but I didn't buy this thing thinking it would handle that well and that's not a major thing for me. It would be nice, but it's not a major priority. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by derrickb
Thanks for the information. The car doesn't have nivomats. I bought a set of kyb's yesterday, but this post has made me think about returning them when I get them. I researched the bilstein tc's and from what people say they are great. I'm thinking about buying those instead. I will probably replace the spring caps like you said, but I don't have the money for sway bars right now. Possibly in the future, but I didn't buy this thing thinking it would handle that well and that's not a major thing for me. It would be nice, but it's not a major priority. Just my 2 cents.
in my opinion l would change the springs too if l was changing shocks and struts.l made a mistake of getting just shocks, my car was still bouncing around.these cars are made heavy and with bad springs you would not feel the difference that much with new shocks and struts.if you want stock ride but a little bit stiff, get the OEM springs, with bilstein TC and you will feel the difference. the sway bars will be a whole step up with your suspension system.l run through rough roads and l feel nothing.handling has improved too. but if your budget doesnt allow you to get sway bars just replace the springs,mounts and shocks and you should be fine.

Last edited by slimflex2; 07-08-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both my cars have original springs and they're not "bouncing around" at all. No need for changing original springs unless they were damaged in accident, or you want to lower the car, want stiffer ride, etc. OP already said he wants to keep it pretty much stock and doesn't have $$ for upgrades. First upgrade (after the struts/shocks) like I said would be sway bars.

I have heard KYBs are also good though I've never used them myself.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:55 PM

agreed, gdog.

slim: "bouncing around" is a sign of a bad shock or strut. the springs support the weight of the vehicle, and the shocks stop the oscillation after you hit a bump.

Last edited by ibified; 07-08-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:42 AM

I'm still undecided on whether or not to keep the kyb's or not. I have been reading reviews on other car forums and they don't seem to be all that bad. I did order new spring mounts in the front so I can replace those when I have everything apart. As far as springs go I think I'll wait until I get the shocks and struts in. If that doesn't solve most of the suspension issues, which I hope they will, then I will order new springs, although springs generally don't need replacing for the most part.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:45 AM

Does anyone on here have any experience with kyb's on a volvo? I would really like to get a first hand perspective on them. I don't expect greatness, but I do want a decent ride that can handle these subpar PA roads

Old 07-09-2012, 05:59 AM

l am just telling him my opinion based on experience.l had new shocks and struts,my springs were sagging and with new shocks and struts on, my car bounced but not as bad as it was when my shocks went bad. after replacing my springs with oem, the car now rides like new, feel much confortable now and l run through bumps like a champ.LOL.before changing my springs l thought my seats were going bad because ride confort was sacrificed a whole lot till l changed my springs.springs do play a big role in ride confort. installing ipd sway bars was a whole new step in upgrade in ride comfort and handling.now my car rides really good. but if you dont have the $$ for it just go with shocks and struts and you should be fine.