Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Outer CV boot torn LH side

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outer CV boot torn LH side

Just noticed that the LH outer cv boot is torn. Must have happened today as there isn't too much grease within the wheel well yet. I plan on replacing the boot, my question is should I go ahead and replace both inner & outer? Our 850 has just over 150k miles on the clock, should I instead just replace the axle assembly?
I haven't checked for clicking noise yet from the left side, will do so tomorrow to see if the joint is failing. (If it is then I'll replace the entire axle.)

Old 08-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Default RE: Outer CV boot torn LH side

Had a similiar situation on the passenger side of mine when doing some maintenance. Noticed it and took it to a local driveshaft shop and they took the outer apart, removed the old boot, cleaned it really well and made sure it was in good shape, put a new boot on and loaded it with grease for the insane low price of $15 parts and labor. If it just happened chances are good it has not gotten any dirt in and caused damage. If you heard clicking before when turning it might be worn from mileage but if the boot tore it takes a little time to dry out and get gunk in there. Check locally for a drive shaft repair place in your area. Mine have 140k miles and are still solid. No harm in replacing the whole thing but in all likelyhood the boot can be replaced and take many, many more miles.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:46 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: robrike

Had a similiar situation on the passenger side of mine when doing some maintenance. Noticed it and took it to a local driveshaft shop and they took the outer apart, removed the old boot, cleaned it really well and made sure it was in good shape, put a new boot on and loaded it with grease for the insane low price of $15 parts and labor. If it just happened chances are good it has not gotten any dirt in and caused damage. If you heard clicking before when turning it might be worn from mileage but if the boot tore it takes a little time to dry out and get gunk in there. Check locally for a drive shaft repair place in your area. Mine have 140k miles and are still solid. No harm in replacing the whole thing but in all likelyhood the boot can be replaced and take many, many more miles.

+1

Old 08-19-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks. Looking online at the cost of a replacement axle, may as well just change it out completely and be done with it. Just replaced both
front wheel bearings about 6 mo. ago, so it should be easy to pull the axle. (Though the trans side hasn't been loose yet.)

Old 08-19-2007, 07:12 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,

FCP Groton carries high quality products, FYI:

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850driveline.htm

Note, that certain model years & VIN # 850s come with staked axle nut, which is recommended to be replaced once disturbed. You may be able to get away with Loc-tite, but I would check with Moderator Tech.

JPN

EDIT: Don't forget to have 1-2 quarts of Dexron-III/Mercon ready, as some fluid would leak from the tranny side when you pull the axle off.