Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

overheating while in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating while in traffic

ugh...first let me say, tech i haven't forgotten about looking for that part. i've been slammed with work and haven't even started working on my car yet. i did replace the fuel pump relay yesterday in hopes that it will help with the stalling. now my question is about it overheating...it will only overheat if i'm sitting still in traffic for a long period..it has boiled over once and i'm wondering if i busted a head gasket or what...the heater core is busted, and the thermostat might be bad i'm buying a new therm. tonight, i just wanted to get some opinions on what you all might think be happening.
I drive it to and from work daily and it doesn't overheat. Just if I'm stationary for a long time

Old 03-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: overheating while in traffic

Does you radiator fan come on? A good way to test it is to turn on the air conditioner - the fan should come on immediately when the A/C is on. The fan relay seems to be a high failure rate item on 850s and it will lead to the overheating under the circumstances you describe.

...Lee

Old 03-04-2008, 03:36 PM

Stuck thermostat?

Old 03-04-2008, 04:14 PM

If you're saying that the heater core is busted, then that will affect coolant flow depending on what you mean by busted. What exactly is busted about it?Is it plugged up? Is it leaking? Has it been bypassed? Lee's test of the fan is an easy one to do, so figure that one out right away, and then post back, and clarify what you mean by the heater core is busted. Thermostat is cheap and easy to fix, so go ahead and do it, so that you know it's been done (don't forget the new rubber gasket as well).

Old 03-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Try the new thermostat and see what happens.

Forget about the relay I ended up finding one. Thanks anyway.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:53 PM

well i'm not exactly sure about the heatercore. i thought it was leaking because the floors are wet but, the coolant level in the reservoir is always the same. maybe it has been bypassed. how can i tell. the fan is working. i was going to change thermostat today but it's windy and snowing...it was like 68 yesterday i'm confused.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:47 PM

just an addition if i can ask, I hate asking so many questions but this car i bought was really treated bad and is steadily falling apart. I still have not had a chance to change the thermostat because i dont have a jack to lift the car and drain it. Today i noticed the low coolant light was on but the resevoir is full as to the fan i thought was coming on i might have been wrong when i flip the a/c i hear a weird clicking noise that is coming every 30 sec or so from over by where the timing belt area is...could this be a water pump problem?

Old 03-12-2008, 06:44 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The clicking you hear is most likely the A/C compressor cycling due to low R134a or retiring/faulty pressure switch; a common problem to the 850.

You do not have to drain the coolant completely to replace the thermostat; just drain enough to avoid a mess. You do not have to lift the car; just turn the plastic drain **** CCW and don't forget to place a container to catch draining coolant. A clear plastic tube found at local hardware store is helpful when draining the coolant to avoid mess.

When the engine is stone-cold (overnight is ideal), open the coolant expansion tank cap and see & smell for fuel. If you smell a hint of fuel or see oily appearance in the expansion reservoir, the head gasket may be shot. Also, do you smell coolant in the exhaust gas, or does it have white colour even after the engine has reached the normal operating temp?

Lastly, is your expansion tank cap grey? The original grey cap seems to have had problem so some people have replaced it with revised green cap.

JPN

Old 03-12-2008, 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: JPN

The clicking you hear is most likely the A/C compressor cycling due to low R134a or retiring/faulty pressure switch; a common problem to the 850.

You do not have to drain the coolant completely to replace the thermostat; just drain enough to avoid a mess. You do not have to lift the car; just turn the plastic drain **** CCW and don't forget to place a container to catch draining coolant. A clear plastic tube found at local hardware store is helpful when draining the coolant to avoid mess.

When the engine is stone-cold (overnight is ideal), open the coolant expansion tank cap and see & smell for fuel. If you smell a hint of fuel or see oily appearance in the expansion reservoir, the head gasket may be shot. Also, do you smell coolant in the exhaust gas, or does it have white colour even after the engine has reached the normal operating temp?

Lastly, is your expansion tank cap grey? The original grey cap seems to have had problem so some people have replaced it with revised green cap.

JPN
JPN is right. The clicking is likely to come from the A/C compressor. Try to answer his questions and give us an update on what you found out.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:44 PM

oh man, that's what i am afraid of. I just bet that the head gasket is blown. Thank you JPN. I will tell you in the morning if it smells like gasoline. I might not even have to worry about the drain ****, I took the cap off the reservoir while the car was running and it just starte pouring out the top. Thank you so much for your help so far. I wish that I would've found this site before I bought this nightmare.[>:]

Old 03-13-2008, 08:37 AM

okay so here's the update. I have the green cap on my resevoir. I didn't smell any fuel in the resevoir. It just smelled like coolant. i think the exaust possibly has a little smell of coolant, but no white smoke.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:56 AM

did you change the thermostat yet? you'd be surprised how just replacing that can fix many overheating problems...

~jon