Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Part ID help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part ID help

97 volvo 850 non turbo 2.5L

hi! just wanna know what this valve thing is doing inside the airbox hose where air comes into the box? what does it do? looks like it has a spring. does it open and close or is it like this (halfway open) the whole time? turned on the engine doesnt seem to move. sorry noob here hehe

btw i opened up the hose on purpose

CHEERS!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: Part ID help

I beleive it is the air intake "thermostat" and associated damper door. See this threadfor more info https://volvoforums.com/m_93513/tm.htm

Glenn

Old 02-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I can answer two questions at once but I am confused buy the hard plastic line. The blue ? line on your other post appears to feed a vacuum switch that is pictured to the right of the cold air intake in the picture on this post. The 1997 had a different setup than the older N/A cars but since both of my N/A's are the older style with the wax thermostats I can't look and take pictures to help you. I did run across an air box on eBay today that has the vacuum setup from a '97 but it doesn't have the hard plastic line - it has a rubber vacuum hose. Search eBay motors for Volvo 850 Air Box and you will find one from a '97 that shows the vacuum line.

The Green ? line I believe is the fresh air line to the IAC valve. The red ? line I'm not sure of but it might be the cruise control line.

I think it was on this board where someone just ripped the whole flapper out and then jammed some tin foil into the hot air side to seal it off. Problem solved - next problem.

Hopefully that helps.

...Lee

Old 02-27-2008, 08:46 PM

wow thanks guys! i read the links and discoverd tons of material regarding this ...amazing. didnt know this wwas the thing they were talking about since there were no pictures.

i believe in the other threads they forced the flap to suck in only cold air which in turn improves performance. my question now is which side is cold which side is hot? what position am i stuck in presently (halfway open= cold or hot mix?) ? being a noob its kinda hard for me to visualize what the other threads were talking about as the "cold or hot air flap postion". i dont think im gonna bother checking if the thermosat still works or not. just wanna jam it in the cold air position lol.

side questions: you mean to say hot and cold air comes in the same hose (from diffrent parts of the car) and theres a flap that controls the mixture? will a halfopen position like mine in the picture mix hot and cold air the whole time?

CHEERS!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The hot air comes off the exhaust manifold through the metal hose that attaches to the back portion bottom of the box.
The big hose that goes from the air box to up near the radiator is the cold one.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 PM

found the metal hose! thanks! so thats what its for, never realized that it ran through the bottom part of the airbox. i read Psabioc's link wherein people forced the valve/flap to only let in cold air( very nice). is there a way to detach or disconnect this metal hose so you wont have to mess with the valve in the first place? or is blocking air from this metalic hose ( hot air ) a better alternative?

UPDATE

ok i followed the other threads (Systek) and jammed the valve to the "cold air only" position woohoo. thanks for the help and advice really appreciate it. i wanted to do the same thing to my uncles 850 same year NA but when i opened the hood *surprise surprise* -no thermostat - no valve/flap - no metalic hose at the back of the airbox. my 850 is made in belgium while my uncles is from sweden. what gives?

Old 02-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The your car must have an air pump.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:51 PM

ok thanks for answering my questions!