Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

PCV system service instructions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the hell is a PCV system.

Originally Posted by MikeySq
Hi I'm looking for some direction on the procedure to clean the PCV system of the car I have tried searching for some instructions but have had no luck. I have read that there is no PCV valve as such is on a lot of other vehicles but a combination of boxes hoses and such. I have also read that this system is definatly a maintenance issue and frequently goes over looked by people who are not that familir that this type of service is neccessary..

Does any one have any pointers on what to look for and perhaps a link with some pictures describing this procedure at all, it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
-Mike

that’s my main comment. I don’t **** about how this stuff works. Say PCV to me and I’ll call my dr! I get into it when I speak to the mechanics and I always look stuff up. But it’s the same as foreign languages, I’m not fluent and must stop and check my dictionary. And today it’s: what is a PSV? Or what the hell is a PSV is you want to be precise.

I posted my comment and submitted and then saw that it’s PCV not PSV. 😂

Old 08-10-2021, 09:52 AM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

"positive crankcase ventilation" tells you that there is an inlet to the engine sucking in whatever is inside the crankcase (that is, below the pistons). whatever air is in there, that gets sucked into the engine and burned. There is also fresh air getting into the engine through a vent, so that air is sweeping through the engine and then being burned. This air is typically not metered. The flow is just restricted in such a way that the computer knows how much to expect.

On MOST ALL CARS EVERYWHERE, this system is dead simple and requires no maintenance and it never breaks. You ignore it. On Volvo 850s, there is a liquid/vapor separator on there about 1 quart in size and about 10 feet of tubing, depending on the model, and it's considered a routine maintenance item to replace this whole system occasionally. You could just clean it out and replace broken tubing if you wanted to.

I suppose, though, some time in the last 15 years Mikey probably found out what PCV was.

Last edited by firebirdparts; 08-10-2021 at 09:55 AM.