Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Popping noise from Front when breaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping noise from Front when breaking

Hey guys...

I've been getting some popping noises when I brake that sound like they're coming from the front of the car...more towards the RH side. It seems to be related to the suspension as it normally does this as the front end of the car moves downward during a breaking event. There is only 1 single pop.

I had noticed the same type of noise from my LH side which i fixed by tightening the bolt connecting the endlink to the strut. I did the same to the bolt on the RH side, but the popping still happens. The endlink itself looks fine...the boot is in good shape.

I'm gonna put it up on the hoist today...any idea what other things i could check while it's up there? Engine mounts... subframe mounts? any thoughtS?

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Popping noise from Front when breaking

I would say the swaybar link or maybe one of the bushings.
Are the Pads shifting in the Caliper?

Old 06-04-2006, 02:59 PM

well, i found that it was the RH endlink where it connects w/ the swaybar. That nut was totally loose and there was a lot of play. So i tigntened it back down to 40 Nm and did the other 3 end link bolts on both sides. It sounded fine when i drove it until about a mile later when the noise came back. I haven't looked at it again to see if the bolt is loose.

What do you look for on an endlink to tell if it's bad?

I don't think it's the break pads as it seems to be related to the position or compression on the suspension system. I can get it to make the noise sometimes by bouncing the front end up/down manually.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Administrator

That is usually endlinks.

With the car on the lift.
Pull on the sway bar by the endlinks and see if you feel/hear a clicking.If so it is bad.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:38 PM

I'm still getting that popping noise when breaking. It's a single pop which sounds to be coming from the RH side. I replaced my end links yesterday which made the noise a bit quieter, but it's still there.

I thought that it was attributed to the front end suspension when it's compressed (as the front end dips during breaking), but when the car is parked i can't get the noise to happen when bouncing the front end up/down.

Next i tried pushing it back and forth without the parking break engaged. This is the only way i could get the noise to happen without driving it. I'm now thinking that it might be an engine mount or something, but really have no idea how to verrify this.

I also noticed when doing this the engine rocks back & forth a pretty good amount....prolly a good inch or so. Is this normal?

Any other ideas on what may be making the popping noise?

Old 06-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Administrator

What does the upper torque mount look like is it good?
Do you get alot of Vibration when the engine is running?

Old 06-13-2006, 08:11 PM

The upper torque mount is fine...replaced it w/ the IPD one about 5k ago.

However when i was rocking it i did notice the that torque mount frame moves back and forth. Looks like the rubber bushing where it attaches to the firewall allows it to move. Should this be stiff and not allow movement?

The noise was coming from a different place though...i'm kinda thinking now that it may be the Front engine mount on the RH side...connects the subframe to the engine i think. I haven't looked at it yet. What's a good way to access it?

Old 06-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Administrator

The upper one should be pretty solid at the firewall.
The lower one when you have it on the lift look under the mount. Usually you can see under it. When it is bad you can usually see if sitting on the subframe.