Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Questions from a potential buyer - any help appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions from a potential buyer - any help appreciated!

Good morning all,

I'm new to the forum and very seriously considering a 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo Sedan with ~160,000 miles on it. But I need to move quickly as the deal may not last long.

I've never owned a Volvo. However I am very experienced with auto repair, maintenance and modification. And I've heard many great things about the brand. When I heard about this car last night I immediately thought I should consult other Volvo owners for their input - so here I am.

I have several questions if I may. Any help would be appreciated. Here they are:

[ul][*] Is $2200 a good price for a loaded 94 850 Turbo with 160,000 in "excellent condition"? At first glance it certainly seems to be. I have not yet test-driven the vehicle but plan to later today or tomorrow. The pictures look fantastic. If it's half as good as the pictures the previous owners must have taken great care of it. Supposedly the seller also has a book containing the maintenance history and all receipts.[*] What can I expect as far as average city and highway fuel consumption assuming proper tire pressure, regular maintenance, and the current mileage?[*] In terms of annual maintenance costs (assuming I do the minor stuff myself and only source major repairs) what can I expect to spend each year? [*] What are the common major failures and their ballpark repair costs?[*] Anything in particular I should look for when inspecting the vehicle?[*] What is the life expectancy of the 850? Is it reasonable to assume I could get at least another 100K miles out of it?[*] What would you recommend for winter snow tires, and again for all-seasons? Here in New England I really need all the winter traction I can get.
[/ul]
Any other comments or tips for someone new to Volvo? I love the style and features of the newer models I've read about, but I just don't have a large budget...I'm trying to find something under $3000 that is reliable and safe to transport my two young children. If the deal on this 850 falls through, which other Volvo years and models should I seek out with such a small budget?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Questions from a potential buyer - any help appreciated!

Sounds like an excellent deal. Look it over along with the maintenance records, make sure the timing belt has been changed at least twice. The interval is 70K on that car. Evaporators are known to go bad at right around that mleage. It's over $1,000 to put a new one in. They are also known for oil leaks, but they can be fixed and it's nothing major. You can expect another 100K on that car if properly maintained. A pre purchase inspection by a Volvo mechanic or dealership would be money well spent. An extra $60 could save you thousands and you will know anything that is wrong with the car. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Rear main seal might be a problem have it looked at. Make sure the turbo has no shaft play or minimal shaft play at the most.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:50 AM

Thank you both for the information.

I inspected the vehicle today and found the interior was in so-so shape. the driver's seat back seemed to be broken on the right side such that it leaned awkwardly to the right. The center console armrest wasn't screwed in. The ABS light was on the entire time I test drove it. The tracs light was on regardless if the tracs switch was on or not (is that normal?). The service light was on until I stepped on the gas a few times. The seating seemed to have above average wear and tear but then we're talking about a $2100 car.

Engine seemed strong, shifting was tight, braking was good. No visible fluid leaks. Paint ok for the age and mileage.

Alarm went off when I used the key to open the passenger-side door. FOB not working.

Strangely the trunk was extremely damp inside....wet even. Looking at weatherstrip it was clear that there was some sort of leak. Dealer claims the wetness was because his detailers didn't thoroughly dry the car out. Seemed like a crock to me.

Records were fairly complete. Showed the regular Volvo services at the normal intervals up to 140,000, but no documents for the last 20K miles. 70K timing belt was done. But at 140K the timing belt was not done....seems odd since it was a Volvo dealer that did the service. Perhaps the owner refused it. That was my sngle biggest concern...the car being driven well past the scheduled belt change.

Last few intervals the owner apparently refused the repair of several items like seat heaters and switches. Seemed he was getting ready to trade it in and not dump ay more money into it. Several service intervals mentioned clearing miscellaneous misfire codes too.

I'm on the fence about getting it. Not sure. Price still seems good but those few issues are biggies.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry about the timing belt if has not broke. Just have it changed before it breaks. Sounds like a car that has been neglected though. Does the A/C work? You can get these cars in much better condition for probably around $3500 (my guess) so just take it from there. I think I would be on the fence also. I would probably look for one in better condition and spend a little more money.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:14 PM

I think I'd be a little bit of a fence sitter on that too, just because of the issues, although, cheap money and maintenance up to within 20k, anyway, I know nuttin on these things, my real point in writing was this;

I see your in NH and I'm in the MA/NH area, I just wondered if you've checked out Craigslist at all, I can't find the post now, but I'll look again, but I've seen a few 850's on it for cheap money and 'alledgely' in tidy condition.

Just a thought.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3273/DB7755A7C54944978A9E43CA90FA28E2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-19-2006, 10:31 PM

Joseph,
i thought I might add my 2 cents worth and try to answer your questions based on my experience.
I realize you already went and checked it out - so go with your gut instinct on that one. I'll pick up on your 2nd question:
Mileage: Our 850 (non turbo) gets about 28 mpg city and surely over 30 hwy. I think it gets very good mpg overall, but since it's my wife's daily driver I've never done the mileage.
Cost of Maintenance: Low. Aside from gas and oil changes, I've given the tranny a fluid change and we replaced the battery (it had the original until about 6 months ago). I also replaced the original alternator 4 years ago. I have just ordered a flame trap kit which is Volvo's equivalent to the PCV valve. It really should have been replaced before now, but it's only like $15. This vehicle is definitely quirky: it has the typically squeaky brakes, and the odometer quit working 40k miles ago (I estimate our Volvo to now have approx 110-120k). This is another reason why i haven't checked gas mileage. the odometer quitting is a fairly common problem from my research. The part that needs replacing isn't unreasonable, but I don't want to go into the dash to do the job Also, if you disconnect the battery, you'll need a code to punch in to get the radio working again. Apparently in Sweden, cassette deck radios that are the size of large shoe boxes are popular among thieves. I personally haven't bought a tape cassette in almost 20 years. But the car runs like a top!!
Major Failures: I really don't know of any. Common? Well, I think that the odometer thing happens more than it should. But I honestly don't know of any problems. And we're talking about Pre-Ford models now. i can't speak for any models since Ford has taken over, except that a friend of mine briefly owned an '04 that he named 'Hal'. You may be able to find some TSB's out there, but this site would be the best source for info.
Inspecting the vehicle: You pretty much summed it up in your follow up. I can almost certainly say that the trunk was wet because the Two drainage tubes on each side right below the rear window were probably clogged or maybe detached. there are two drainage tubes for the trunk, and two up under the hood near the windshield for the front. I currently am experiencing a damp driver's side floor after a heavy rain, and I know all drainage tubes are clear and unclogged. Still figuring that one out.

I think that you could expect another 100k from a volvo with 160k. When it comes down to it, it's only a matter of throwing money at the problem for it to go away. I believe overall with a Volvo that would equate to less money - and with reasonable and regular maintenance, I would think that only the normal items would need replacing.
Down here in S.C. I don't have to worry about snow tires, so i can't make a recommendation there. Our 850 has goodyear Eagles and the wear is smooth and even. I expect a full 40-50k on these tires.

DB
'97 850
'04 Tacoma 4dr 4x4 with S40 leather power/heated seats