Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Potential s40 buyer

Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential s40 buyer

Hi there.

My folks are considering buying a new S40 FWD with either the base engine or the T5. I've been reading in this and other forums about the car and altough I see a few problems with the cars, I get the impression that they're generally reliable, since there aren't a lot of posts that complain about the same issues.

I'd like to know what's been your guys experience with the S40, regarding reliability.

For the record I drive another Ford C1 platform based car (Mazdaspeed 3), and I'm really surprised how different the cars look and feel. I got in my Mazda after sitting in the S40 in the dealership and I couldn't help but thinking it felt cheap. I haven't driven the Volvo, but I really want to, just for comparison's sake. I was sort of expecting the differences more along the lines of "badge engineering".

Any help or impressions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 10:53 AM

I have a 05 with the T5 AWD i have about 80k on the car and have had no issues! I live where it snows so AWD is necessary. As far as the engine goes I can't speak on the non turbo base engine, but I am very please with the T5.
Just a side note... If you plan to do any performance modification there isn't as much for the base engine.

LOL... Just reread your post and saw that it is your folks looking they may not be that interested in performance mods.

Anyway I love the car!

Last edited by StnThree; 03-24-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:03 PM

Lol... yeah.. they aren't thinking of modding the car, but it's good to know you modded it and it's giving you trouble free service! I've heard very good things about the T5 engine. I really appreciate your input.

Regarding AWD, it would be a nice plus but FWD is enough. We live in Mexico just south of Arizona, so we get the same desert climate. It hasn't snowed in like 40 years or something; actually wether is warm enough that "summer" tires work well year-round, so it isn't a priority. Also the budget they have will probably not cover a AWD equipped car; actually, budget would be the only consideration right now that may sway them against the Volvo, since they really liked the car, as did I. Hopefully the salesman won't want to get to greedy, otherwise they'll probably end up with an Accord or (gasp) a CR-V.