Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Radio wiring blows fuses HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio wiring blows fuses HELP!

Ok, so I picked up a volvo 850 just to get back and forth to work, great car good gas mileage but there's a problem. The owner before me decided to do a little DIY stereo installation. Well today i think i drove over a small bump and immediately the stereo shut off. I pulled over checked the fuse and saw that it was blown and went to replace it, it immediately blew. Then i figured i would disconnect the stereo to make sure it wasn't the stereo. No dice, the stereo was disconnected and the fuse immediately blew again. I took the stereo out and inspected the wiring harness, it's a really horrible wiring job, electrical tape and splices everywhere, I went over everything and didn't see anything grounding, plus there's nothing else for it to ground to considering everything around the wiring is plastic. I checked everything, went over all the connections with liquid electrical tape, and it's still blowing the fuses. Does anyone have any ideas as to what i should check, or is there a way i can just draw the power from the cigarette lighter to get by, because i have an hour commute and really don't want to have silence.

Thanks in advance !!

Ryan

Old 05-24-2010, 07:20 PM

I should add it's a 96 volvo 850 with the standard sound system, just an aftermarket head unit made by JVC

Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could take time and hunt down the short, but faster to just get your constant and acc at the key cylinder wires. Of course add fuses to the connections.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:50 AM

greatly appreciate the help and advice, what's the easiest way to gain access to that wiring, i don't want to have to pull the whole dash apart but if i have to i will

thanks
ryan

Old 05-25-2010, 10:36 AM

If that is fuse 15? Then you have other issues.

I would disconnect all the wiring from the radio and tape off everything.
Replace the fuse and see what happens.

That fuse #15 is
15 - 10 Amp (1996)
Audio System, Courtesy Lights, Door Open Light, Trunk Light,
Glove Box Light, Remote Control Central Locking System,
Oil Level Sensor, Seat Belt Reminder, Data Link Connector

Could be a short in any of those things above.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:11 PM

well all those things you mentioned aren't affected. the fuse is number 7 i believe and the only thing it controls is the radio, so i guess i'm lucky in that regard. everything else is working fine, just the radio, and i can't for the life of me find where it's shorting out, visibly everything looks ok, is there any easy way to find out where it could possibly be coming from, i'm betting there isn't

Old 05-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hornswaggles
greatly appreciate the help and advice, what's the easiest way to gain access to that wiring, i don't want to have to pull the whole dash apart but if i have to i will

thanks
ryan
Lower drivers dash and shroud on steering column should give you access. PDF files for cylinders wires are online, just need to find one and download it. Volt meter would answer the question if you have one handy.

Originally Posted by hornswaggles
well all those things you mentioned aren't affected. the fuse is number 7 i believe and the only thing it controls is the radio, so i guess i'm lucky in that regard. everything else is working fine, just the radio, and i can't for the life of me find where it's shorting out, visibly everything looks ok, is there any easy way to find out where it could possibly be coming from, i'm betting there isn't
Could be just the radio on the fuse, but all of it ties in together one way or another. I am all for fixing things as best as possible, but it is just a radio and 12 volts.