Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Rear Bearing and Hub Assembly is bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Bearing and Hub Assembly is bad

I need heeeeeelp. The rear bearing is humming. It's not the tires. When the car is up on the lift, I can actually wiggle the wheel. I need to replace the rear wheel hub assembly. I ordered my own chiltons repair manual, so I have a little time before I start the work. Can anyone give me some insight as to whether or not this is a job that can be done by a fairly determined DIYer. I have the tools for the job but I just want to know if I will have any surprises or procedures that I should just bite the bullet and let the Mechanic do it for nearly $500 parts and labor. I can get the part new for 115 buck per side. I also found a 1996 850 (same as mine) at a large salvage yard. I can get the one of the car for only $22. Since this is a part that rarely goes bad. What does anyone think about using a used part?
I am not new to the forum, i used to have a 960. But, I am happy to be back.[8D]

Old 09-22-2007, 11:58 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Rear Bearing and Hub Assembly is bad

I may have aaaaaanswer.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find it helpful & enjoyable.

I found the rear hub for $105 (shipping excluded), made by SKF, which I assume is a US, German or Swedish mfg.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850driveline.htm

FCP Groton generally sells only OEM or high-quality aftermarket parts. But a $22 donor car may be better, as you can get all sorts of replacement parts.

Haynes Repair Manual seems better these days, although I still think both are not very thorough. I have attached a page from the factory manual, but I'll delete it within the next few days so be sure to save it in your PC.

You may have to remove the rear disk & caliper, in which case I would replace the caliper bolts too. Or, if you haven't done the brake job in a while, this is a good time to do them as well.

Good luck & work safely.

JPN

Old 09-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rshuffler,

IfI could save $500 in man hours, I´d get a new $105SKF (great quality!) bearing.Imagine what a PITA it would be to use the $22 part and then havetothe job again becausethe part is not good.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:02 PM
JPN

+1

JPN

Old 09-23-2007, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am truly amazed at the speed and quality of the responces. That seems to be the standard attitude of volvo owners. My brother asked me why I bought a volvo instead of some japennies car. I told him it starts with the quality of the owners.
Thanks for the great info. I will DIY with the new part - $115 at Autozone. I have to special order it. Will take two days to get it. No problem. Next weekend project. Will keep the post informed
Thanks for now. More to come

Old 09-23-2007, 08:28 AM
JPN

Our pleasure.

When you work on your Volvo, make sure to take time and DO NOT hurry to finish a job. Also, read safety precautions in service manuals.

I wish you the best of luck & safety.

JPN

P.S: I have removed the page from factory manual that I have attached on the previous post. In case if you haven't saved it yet, let me know and I'll post it again.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 to JPN regarding safety. Too many people I have known get in a big hurry and shortcut safety....especially when working under the car!!

Glenn

Old 09-24-2007, 11:02 AM
JPN

Hi Glenn,

I'd also like to say that too many people I work with (I think it's safe to say, no one at work drives Volvo anyway[8D]) get in a big hurry and shortcut safety...especially when working on......

AIRPLANES!!!.

People hate me for making sure & taking time that I did the job right; I am not willing to jeopardise safety, let alone people's lives. I don't think the passengers would choose to leave on time over flying on an airplane whose condition is questionable.

JPN