Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Reason to check your Throttle Body every so often!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reason to check your Throttle Body every so often!

So yeah.. I had this for awhile and figured I'd share incase anyone was curious "Hmm should I take out my air intake and check out my throttle body?" and then say "nah.. its fine!". Last weekend I had issues and ended up having to take out the entire air intake system to get a good angle to take off my distributor cap. When I looked at my throttle body I almost fainted (ok not really but yeah ewww!). Here is before
Name:  Picture188.jpg
Views: 2738
Size:  95.7 KB
And after with some throttle body cleaner and alot of elbow grease.
Name:  Picture192.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  102.9 KB

This has been a PSA lol

Old 09-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job on throttle body, did you clean flame trap too? It looks dirty..

Old 09-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! Good idea though, I should really consider doing this. I'm guessing that mine probably looks like yours, there's no way it's clean.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:05 PM

The Flame Trap that is what the hell that thing was! No I didnt I had no clue as to what it was so I left it alone at that time. Thing was filthy dirty like worse than my exgf dirty (and she was dirty let me tell ya lol). I wanted to find out what it was first before doing anything. Does it actually "trap flames" I was thinking it was a oil recirculation and was going to just get a catch can and a air breather instead of having it going into the intake yet again. I used to own a Rx-8 and its what most of us did.

And I must say taking the air intake system apart was much easier than I though. Only thing I wont do next time is disconnect the MAF from the Airbox 'cause its a pain in the butt to retighten the screws.

Guess next step for me after I finish changing the CV joints and CAT is to do the PCV system. Might play around a bit if the flame trap is just another name for a oil recirculation system. Hell I already modified the air box (sealed the hole that leads to the heat shield hehe) why stop there!

Old 09-14-2009, 07:14 PM

hahaha.

those screws for the maf didnt need to be removed. if you look at the wire conector there is a metal paper clip looking thing. push the part on the long side of it in like a button and then pull the connector lose.

as for the block off on the air box. all you need to do is flip the flapper to the cold side (front of car) and then put in a screw or bolt from the bottom to block the flapper from coming back

Old 09-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Former Sponsor

When I got my 850 Turbo, the throttle body was pretty bad. Not as bad as yours but still bad.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by 850tony
hahaha.

those screws for the maf didnt need to be removed. if you look at the wire conector there is a metal paper clip looking thing. push the part on the long side of it in like a button and then pull the connector lose.

as for the block off on the air box. all you need to do is flip the flapper to the cold side (front of car) and then put in a screw or bolt from the bottom to block the flapper from coming back
Not the screws that hold the MAF in place but the tube that connects to the airbox lol.. but either of them are PIA's!

After I finish a few other fix's to the *******' Wagon I'll degrease the engine bay then do a PCV retooling I guess. So is the "Fire Trap" litteraly handle fire here or is that just a term for a evap system for any oil/gas?