Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Regular Maintenance of 1997 805. My first Volvo!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Regular Maintenance of 1997 805. My first Volvo!

Getting my first volvo in a few days and would like to know the best way to take care of it on a regular basis. What to change/check for monthly and when all of that. The car was very well maintained and has 95k miles. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

There is a great "new owners" thread sticked in the forum. The 850's are pretty indestructible when properly maintained.You should probably do a timing belt right away, and read up on the special service needs of the 850. Like the PCV system which is strange.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

If you don't have a full maintenance history, I'd consider the following:

1. timing belt - including tensioner and idler, as well as the serpentine (accessory) belt. these are due at 7 years/70K intervals for the 850s (newer Volvo models are 10 yr/100 or 120K miles).

2. coolant drain fill - don't use flush products, simply drain from the radiator, fill will distilled water, run it, drain again and fill with fresh 50/50 antifreeze. I wouldn't go fancy - the "green" coolant is fine - but avoid the "orange" GM Dexcool stuff. Consider replacing the thermostat and the reservoir fill cap (its a pressurized system).

3. consider a drain/fill or flush of the transmission fluid. Make sure you use the right fluid as listed in the owners manual ie JWS3309 spec. I did my 850 at 100K miles and it was very noticeable. Double check the level after a few hundred miles - this is a bit tricky as the transmission fluid level changes with transmission temperature so read up on cold/warm/hot transmission level meanings - the levels are shown on the dipstick.

4. test for the PCV system being clogged. Put a latex (ie surgeons) glove over the oil fill inlet (top off of course) with the engine running. If it inflates and stays inflated, you need to service the PCV system (figure 200 parts/300 labor). Not doing this will result in blowing out engine seals.

5. flush the brake lines. and replenish with DOT4. You can probably just open up the rear brake's purge valves and let the fluid run through a bit - just keep the reservoir topped off while doing so as to avoid getting air into the system. (drain a bit, close, top off, drain a bit, top off etc)

6. power steering flush. Easy way is to use a turkey baster and suck out as much fluid from the reservoir on top of the pump (over by the left front side of the engine). refill, start the car turn full lock side to side then stop the car, repeat 2-3 times and you should have mostly clean fluid in there. Note the 850s use transmission fluid - Dex III/Mercon. Note the transmission uses a different spec (JSW 3309 not Dex III) ATF.

7. Battery care. If you have a sealed battery, simply keep the terminal posts clean and spray on a sealer. If you have an open battery check for water level - if low, fill with distilled water ONLY - enough to cover the fins. Check for any bubbing/cracks in the wire insulation or frays around the terminals.

8. Oil changes. If the car is running synthetic, great. If not, I recommend name brand hi-mileage oils which have seal softeners in it. Also use Mann OEM oil filters. They have a check valve to help keep oil up top to improve lubrication at start up. After running high mileage for a few changes you can try going to synthetic or a blend. Some cars will get weepy at the seals so check yours.

9. Routine maintenance - check oil and coolant level regularly every 1-2 fill ups until you get a sense of any consumption, look for driveway spotting and any leakage under the hood. Every oil change interval (ie 3000-5000 miles depending on your model and oil) spot check the brake fluid level, the power steering level. Transmission fluid can be checked at major service intervals 15,000 etc.

Last edited by mt6127; 05-13-2017 at 01:14 PM.