Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Repair manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair manual

Is there one repair manual that is better than another for an 850? I have heard of Haynes and Chilton is there any others or is one of these better?

Old 06-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Repair manual

If you were able to get a Volvo Shop Manual then that would be the best. There are some dvd based manuals available on eBay but you have to remember that you get what you pay for.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-21-2008, 11:04 PM

Go to ebay.uk.co and search for Volvo VADIS. Got myself a copy a few weeks ago and it is THE bomb! You should get two discs...one for the mechanical stuff, the other with electrical diagrams, all for 10-12 bucks. The other source I use is alldatadiy.com. Both cover pretty much most of what you will need. Don't spend $85 for the VADIS that some guy on the US-based ebay is selling...way too expensive.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between Haynes and Chiltons I prefer the Haynes. A terrific companion is free here:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/dow.../Volvo_850.zip

The VADIS dvd is also helpful in some situations, particularly part numbers. It is not terribly intuitive but if you poke around enoughthrough the menus you can usually find what you are after.

...Lee

Old 06-22-2008, 10:03 AM

Hello Ozark Lee,

Do you have the Vadis?

I have noticed that there are what seem to be two versions available on eBay. A one disc offering and a two DVD disc set.

Which do you have? Do you have to set your PC clock back to run the program?

Your thoughts would be great because I have been thinking about going for the two disc DVD set. It is around $25CDN to my door but I would like an opinion or two before I go for it.

If it turns out to be a poor purchase it will, at least, be a cheap one. Besides, I am sure that I have made worse impulsepurchases. A couple of night trips to the pub that I canvaguely recall almost come to mind. LOL

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I personally believe that some of the best repair sdources are here on this forum! Many of the procedures are well documented, with pictures, and real world experience and advice. If I did go with a paper manual though, I would tend to lean towrd Haynes.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:28 AM

I was recently able to get my hands on a Haynes Manual not too long ago and have literally read it from from to back. Man there are a lot of tools that I would love to get .

I have already used it to look over and under my car to learn what everything is and where it is.

It is very helpful. I'm interested in getting more detained infromation because I am keeping The Anvil for some time to come and knowledge is power .

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the single DVD version that I had to set my PC clock back to install. I know it is authentic because the guy used a Volvo blue Sharpie to write "Volvo" on the DVD. I can't remember what I paid but it was around $15 or $18 US - I think it is floating around on bit torrent as well for free if you have a day or so to get the download. It wasn't a total waste of money but the other free manual over on Matthew's site has been much more informative for me. The best part of VADIS is the parts diagrams that more or less shows how things are supposed to go together.

I have seen what appears to be another version and I have been tempted to buy it but I couldn't get an answer from the seller when I asked him if it was just VADIS.

If you get the enhanced version let us know how it is.

...Lee

Old 06-22-2008, 06:51 PM

Thank you for the info. I will check the web sites, I have been monitoring ebay, but I think I will also pick up a Haynes just in case.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Ozark Lee,

I am going to look at the torrent and see what it is.

Changed the signature to show off the trim,bumpers and handles after finishing the handles earlier.

I like the way it turned out. Just need a sunny day for some better shots.
http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/l...view=slideshow

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-22-2008, 07:33 PM

Puts some lowering springs and it will be lookingevensweeter.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:46 PM

Hey Tbob,

Thanks [sm=smiley20.gif]

I would like tobut not until next year.

Still have a few thing that are more important to do first. Like body and a repaint, Rfront bumper install for the added fog lights, a rear wing and then boots and laces[sm=badbadbad.gif].

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-23-2008, 07:23 AM

The VADIS that is offered on eBay is a pirate copy. You might as well download it from the eMule network. It would be just as illegal at the eBay option, but free.