Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Repairing your Leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing your Leather seats

I purchased the Leather repair kit from Leather Magic online. I thought I would give it a go and here are the results. If you have ratty seats this is a cheap option. $79 and your done. A word of advice, do not order your color based on their chart...send in a sample and have them match it. Lessons learned.

Before:

Name:  IMG_0696.jpg
Views: 10362
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0695.jpg
Views: 8357
Size:  106.7 KB

With a little Magic....
Name:  IMG_0725.jpg
Views: 7010
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0726.jpg
Views: 7149
Size:  85.1 KB

Old 04-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks really good!! But the real test will be in time; report back in a few months with follow-up pics. Hope it works out for you...

Old 04-13-2011, 09:56 AM

Wow, that looks great! Is there a color code for what you order or, would I also need to send them a sample? I have the same color seats.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That does look good. Wonder if it would work on the suede seats in the R's?

Old 04-13-2011, 01:52 PM

I was looking at the "leatherique" brand leather rejuvenation & dye kit but I ended up buying the leather to re do the seats two-tone. But i still might do the restoration before, cause I have to get my hands on a sewing machine that can handle leather.
yours look good so i might go that route before I try to tackle the re-upolstry part of it..

Old 04-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by brianb
Wow, that looks great! Is there a color code for what you order or, would I also need to send them a sample? I have the same color seats.
When I went to the wrecker to get a sample I found 4 variations of tan so I would be reluctant to tell you to buy the same color. You really should send them a sample.

Originally Posted by JimKW
That does look good. Wonder if it would work on the suede seats in the R's?
I dont think it would work on suede since the filler for the cracks is sort of like Elmers Glue in look and texture so it would make the suede smooth.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:41 PM

HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?

I wish it could work on mine, but my driver's seat has huge rips in it.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by _HighVoltage_
HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?

I wish it could work on mine, but my driver's seat has huge rips in it.

The kit actually comes with materials to fix rips.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:14 PM

!!!witchcraft!!!!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

That's funny.

JimW, I actually HAD a whole in my suede seat when I picked up my car. I went to Hobby Lobby and found the material in their fabric section. I wasn't sure it was exact so they gave me a sample about the size of a 3" x 3" square. I took it to my car and it was a match. So I cut the piece they gave me to be just a little bigger than my hole. I took some fabric glue, thinking I would do a temp fix until I got around to purchasing some material and taking my seat cover apart to repair it and I glued it inside of the hole.

Well, it's been almost 2 years and most people can't tell that the seat was repaired. Looks great. I can photo it if you'd like.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by boxpin
The kit actually comes with materials to fix rips.

Hey Boxpin,

It's been a yer since your leather repair. How is holding up? I'm currious what the seats look like now.

I'm considering Magic Menderon my s80. Seats are similar to hows your were. My main concern is how they will look in time.

Dave

Old 04-14-2012, 07:26 AM

Hey Boxpin,

Your seat repair looks fantastic. But I do have a stupid question. I don't have have a junk laying around to take a sample from so do you have any suggestions from where on my unit I could snag a sample so it would be not noticeable?

Thanks

Old 04-15-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by ddbeckwith
Hey Boxpin,

Your seat repair looks fantastic. But I do have a stupid question. I don't have have a junk laying around to take a sample from so do you have any suggestions from where on my unit I could snag a sample so it would be not noticeable?

Thanks
Keep looking. I finally found a little piece I could cut off on my 2004 s80. It was behind the side of one of the back seats. As a last resort, you could send in a headrest. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

All right, here is the one year checkup....

Name:  da8e3bbe.jpg
Views: 6822
Size:  267.9 KB

Old 04-16-2012, 08:18 PM

it still looks good surprisingly.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Boxpin,

Thanks
Honestly, if your going to dye the entire surface (which you do by the way) it does not really matter what shade you get because the entire surface is covered, it will look good.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:10 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by boxpin
Honestly, if your going to dye the entire surface (which you do by the way) it does not really matter what shade you get because the entire surface is covered, it will look good.
Thanks Boxpin. I wasn't sure how the process worked. I wonder if a person could go with a lighter tone that will match the rest of the interior better?

Old 04-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Boxpin. I wasn't sure how the process worked. I wonder if a person could go with a lighter tone that will match the rest of the interior better?
Absolutely. After the repair you spray on the final color in multiple coats. You do the entire leather surface, the seat, back and head rest so its all the same color. I put a lot of effort into finding the exact color match for my seats. They mixed it and it was spot on but you really dont have to do that. Since your covering the entire seat find a color you want. Keep in mind that your not painting the vinyl sides, only the leather surface so do keep that in mind.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Off topic just a little. Is it common for Volvo to install interiors new with several different colors. MY seats are one(gray), my door panels and console are light tan and my dash cover is an uggly light green. Capet matches the door panels and lower part of dash. Is this Volvo's doing or PO?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2012, 03:03 PM

Off topic just a little. Is it common for Volvo to install interiors new with several different colors. MY seats are one(gray), my door panels and console are light tan and my dash cover is an uggly light green. Capet matches the door panels and lower part of dash. Is this Volvo's doing or PO?

Thanks
A dealer m be able to tell that. My original color, for example, is color code 8991. THey call the color scheme Arena. The seats match the doors and some trim. The dash is a little darker.

Quick Reply: Repairing your Leather seats